Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/5/2001 3:24:29 PM EDT
The radio reported this evening that the anthrax victim in Lantana has passed away.

While they are still investigating his recent activities, they continue to insist that this case is not related to any terrorist activity.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 3:50:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Please remove your tin-foil hat !

Just because:

1. He had pulmonary anthrax, the rarest form of the disease. (and the one most chosen for biological warfare)

2. It occurred subsequent to the worst terrorist strike in our country's history.

3. It happened in Florida...  Right near the area that the *****head scumbag terrorists trained and flew planes.

4. The aforementioned terrorists made several inquiries about "crop dusting equipment".

5. There have only been 16 cases of this disease known to have occurred in the USA during the WHOLE 20th. CENTURY!

6. The last reported illness occurred back in 1974 or 1976.

Please relax.  The fed.gov is telling us the whole truth.
And...
They are definitely well prepared for any eventuality.  
They WILL protect us and keep us safe !  Honest !!

There is only one thing that I fault the Bush administration with ----->   Lying to the Sheeple about the risks and preparations.

But it could be worse.  Imagine having Al Gore on TV every night and Janet Reno still in place as AG. Whew !
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Maybe its not the terrorists but our government that infected him.  Maybe it's not anthrax, but some disease our government developed from the extra-terrestrial bodies recovered at Roswell.
View Quote

This is sarcasm right? Please use a emoticon...
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:22:17 PM EDT
[#3]
RBAD-
I have seen the news reports and didn't see thru the possible misinformation until you broke it down like that. If you are indeed correct, man we are close to the brink here.
Thank you
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I just developed a cough today.

Yesterday at the post office, there was a man who look to be of middle eastern descent.

Should I be worried???
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Schnacke-
You mock what you don't understand.[peep]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 5:58:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm serious! I'm coughing here! And I was at the post office, and saw an arab looking male!

Should I go to the hospital now???
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#7]
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe I should just keep posting here. If anyone notices me drifitng off be sure to aeoiarl lakesr kajriew awoer raw/.f//G/gfsf
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:24:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Imagine having Al Gore on TV every night and Janet Reno still in place as AG. Whew !
View Quote

Hey- At least Janet Reno would have burned the terrorists tents down!
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#10]
RBAD, tell me where [i]you[/i] live. I live in South Florida, probably closer to this guy than you, and I gotta keep asking myself the same couple of questions:

1) Why only him? Where are the other hundreds of cases of pulmonary anthrax? In fact, where are the "sympathetic casualties", those who just have a bad cold and are flocking by the thousands to the hospitals to be vaccinated for anthrax exposure? It just ain't happening guy.

2) Why waste a good load of anthrax on Palm Beach County (Oh, yeah, I forgot: Butterfly ballot, confused Democratic voters, etc..)?
Why not go ahead and expose Ft. Lauderdale or Miami, or drive a little farther north and unload at Mickey's Magic Kingdom? Better odds of a succesful epidemic there than burning one old guy in Lantana. Who the hell in Afghanistan ever heard of Lantana? They ALL know about Disney World, but Lantana? DOn't think the place rates as world news.

There are probably, no, certainly, many things the Government is not disclosing. I am keenly aware of that, even though my tin-foil hat offers much protection from the worst of their dezinformatzia. But in this case I am inclined to believe that this is an unfortunate individual who was somehow exposed by natural means.

When all of South Florida is lined up hacking and wheezing at every emergency room door, I'll get back to you and apologize for my foolishness.

Til then, I am just watching carefully.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Those are valid (and somewhat reassuring) points, cerberus. Also, isn't the incubation period for inhalation antrhax just a few days? Pud-Head Atta and his cronies would have spent several weeks in hell by the time this poor fellow was exposed. That makes the crop-dusted theory a little harder to believe (unless someone else went flying just a few days ago).

On the other hand, this fellow might have stumbled into a terrorist's storage area without realizing it.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm serious! I'm coughing here! And I was at the post office, and saw an arab looking male!

Should I go to the hospital now???
View Quote

Nevermind, I just remembered yesterday I did a lot of sanding and staining of a rifle stock. I think that's why I'm coughing today.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Lantana has the nickname Klantana. The Ku Klux Klan holds or used to hold alot of mettings there.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Please remove your tin-foil hat !

Just because:

1. He had pulmonary anthrax, the rarest form of the disease. (and the one most chosen for biological warfare)

2. It occurred subsequent to the worst terrorist strike in our country's history.

3. It happened in Florida...  Right near the area that the *****head scumbag terrorists trained and flew planes.

4. The aforementioned terrorists made several inquiries about "crop dusting equipment".

5. There have only been 16 cases of this disease known to have occurred in the USA during the WHOLE 20th. CENTURY!

6. The last reported illness occurred back in 1974 or 1976.

Please relax.  The fed.gov is telling us the whole truth.
And...
They are definitely well prepared for any eventuality.  
They WILL protect us and keep us safe !  Honest !!

There is only one thing that I fault the Bush administration with ----->   Lying to the Sheeple about the risks and preparations.

But it could be worse.  Imagine having Al Gore on TV every night and Janet Reno still in place as AG. Whew !
View Quote

The guy in south Florida with the anthrax died this afternoon. I heard an ABC or NBC report on the radio around noon today stating there was a SECOND anthrax case in south Florida but I have not heard another word about it since then.
Finnbear out
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
From FreeRepublic web site:

Fort Lee, New Jersey, Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- The Center for Disease Control is investigating a second case of anthrax poisoning in Florida, financial network CNBC reported, citing NBC News. One man is already hospitalized in critical condition in a Florida hospital with the deadly disease, CNBC said. The disease is not contagious between people. No further details were given.

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:23:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Maybe its not the terrorists but our government that infected him.  Maybe it's not anthrax, but some disease our government developed from the extra-terrestrial bodies recovered at Roswell.
View Quote

[img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img][img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/alien.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:23:29 PM EDT
[#17]
From ABC News website:

[red]No Other Cases Reported

Barbara Reynolds, a spokeswoman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta, and Tim O'Conner, a spokesman for the Florida Department of Health's Palm Beach County operation, both said today that no other cases of anthrax have been reported.

"[CDC investigators] are not looking at any pending cases," Reynolds said. "They have been scanning the hospitals, but we don't have anything."

O'Conner said several ill people visited doctors and called public health clinics today, fearing they might have anthrax. Three people warranted additional tests, but all were negative.

"We have ruled them out," he said.

There has been concern because anthrax has been developed by some countries as a possible biological weapon, though U.S. officials have said there was no evidence Stevens is the victim of terrorism. [/red]

Nothing on MSNBC.

Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:34:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Here's the Bloomnberg link:

[url]http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi?ptitle=Top%20World%20News&s1=blk&tp=ad_topright_topworld&T=markets_bfgcgi_content99.ht&s2=ad_right1_windex&bt=ad_position1_windex&middle=ad_frame2_windex&s=AO73EbxYxQ2VudGVy[/url]

The article is simply dated "10/5  10:32" and makes reference to the earlier deceased fellow as still being alive, so this looks like a false report.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:36:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Strange that the 2nd report is from bloomberg, reporting on a CNBC story - a financial paper reporting on a story from a financial news network.
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 7:47:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/5/2001 8:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quite true.

The way to get an "epidemic" of anthrax poisoning is to expose as many people as possible in the shortest period of time, beore all the spores are dissipated. To do that you need a concentration of large numbers of people in either an enclosed space or an open one where you can release from a distance and let the wind to it's thing.

Unless you are out to eliminate the Klan, Lantana is still not a choice target, and apparently neither was anyplace this guy had been.
Link Posted: 10/6/2001 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#22]
So, lessee, 16 cases in 100 years.  Last case 25 years ago.

Conclusion:  we were overdue for another one.

Oh, wait, no.  Conclusion:  sanitation has gotten better in the second half of the 20th century, and fewer people worked on farm jobs or other animal-related jobs from which the earlier cases stemmed.  So the rate went down, but is still nonzero.

Also notice that the ONLY reason the case was diagnosed as anthrax was that the lab workers were bothering to look nowadays because of the heightened concerns (reported a few times in various news articles over the last week).  So who knows how many cases happened and how many people died without ever being diagnosed correctly?

Remember, they just discovered hantavirus in the 1990's, after a whole bunch of cases occurred.  Before that, a few random unlucky people just died of "the 'flu" every year.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, lessee, 16 cases in 100 years.  Last case 25 years ago.

Conclusion:  we were overdue for another one.

Oh, wait, no.  Conclusion:  sanitation has gotten better in the second half of the 20th century, and fewer people worked on farm jobs or other animal-related jobs from which the earlier cases stemmed.  So the rate went down, but is still nonzero.

Also notice that the ONLY reason the case was diagnosed as anthrax was that the lab workers were bothering to look nowadays because of the heightened concerns (reported a few times in various news articles over the last week).  So who knows how many cases happened and how many people died without ever being diagnosed correctly?

Remember, they just discovered hantavirus in the 1990's, after a whole bunch of cases occurred.  Before that, a few random unlucky people just died of "the 'flu" every year.
View Quote

Methinks you have gotten it right. This case goes into the "interesting" file, while the "widespread panic" file remains empty.

Thanks for the input.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top