Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 8:27:10 AM EDT
[b]WTF???[/b]

why doesn't ANYBODY sell them with their uppers? i get so pissed off when i find an upper (on the eq. exch.) for sale, used, in my price range, and OF FYCKING COURSE, their is NO bolt, carrier or charging handle.

example: a $350.00 20" HBAR upper sounds great, BUT NO! the hidden costs = $190.00 for bolt + carrier (new) and $25.00 for charging handle THEN, i have to pay to ship it, PLUS, they won't be the color i need to match! FYCK! i can get a brand-new bushy V-match for [b]LESS![/b]

end of rant, PLEASE tell me why an upper with bolt/carrier/ch. handle group is harder to get than a NYC pistol permit, PLEASE!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:33:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I seen carriers and bolts for $100 total.  
Keep looking.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:36:40 AM EDT
[#2]
plus charging handle = the cost of a brand-new bushy V-match...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget the cost of a set of headspace gauges, too.

I know that the B/C groups should be interchangable, but how much do you want to trust a used part of indeterminate history?

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 8:50:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
PLEASE tell me why an upper with bolt/carrier/ch. handle group is harder to get than a NYC pistol permit, PLEASE!
View Quote

My guess would be that many of the people selling them are replacing their upper with another configuration but don't want to have to go through the time or spend the money to buy another carrier group.  Just a guess but who knows for sure.  Changes for each seller I imagine.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:12:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn! Thanks fatty I thought it was just me.

I've been scouting around for a 16" complete Colt upper for my preban, but the prices are so ridiculous and most of them aren't complete.

Since I kinda wanted to get a collapsible stock as well, the price for all these parts add up to almost as much for a complete bushy. Plus it probably won't match anyway....screw it.

Doesn't take much in the way of decision making skills to figure this one out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:03:50 AM EDT
[#6]
well, thanx guys, it just seems to me that selling a used car with no transmission for the price of a new car is a little strange...i guess i'm in the minority here. [rolleyes]

people should realize, though, that this is why their uppers are not selling...
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:42:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm with fattyM4 on this one.  The advertised price is a teaser.  Like advertising a computer system with the small print saying that the monitor and speakers are not included.

"Stripped to tease, not equipped to please".
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:44:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
selling a used car with no transmission
View Quote

I see your point but unfortunately that is a bad analogy.  Carrier groups are universal betwen 5.56 nato AR's, and transmissions are not interchangable between many cars.  Don't get my wrong I see your point though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#9]
JRS, [:D] you're killing me!

ok, ok, ...selling a used 2000 honda with no tranny for the price of a new 2000 honda...

happy?
[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:I'm with fattyM4 on this one.
View Quote

It must be a fat thing....

LOL

Zaz
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:02:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Well I had a V-Match upper for sale and I did not include the bolt carrier assembly because I bought the upper new without the bolt carrier assembly simple as that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:13:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Well I had a V-Match upper for sale and I did not include the bolt carrier assembly because I bought the upper new without the bolt carrier assembly simple as that.
View Quote

great! feedback from a seller! (thank you)
so, we have [red]one[/red] sold as bought, and the rest? [red]zero[/red]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
JRS, [:D] you're killing me!

ok, ok, ...selling a used 2000 honda with no tranny for the price of a new 2000 honda...

happy?
[heavy]
View Quote

[;D] hehehehe...can't help it somedays [BD]

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#14]
I vote to boycott anyone selling uppers without B/C groups!

Let them raise the price if they want,  but I say if you sell an upper here on AR-15.com, [u]at bare minimum,[/u] the [b]bolt[/b] should be included (headspace).  Otherwise, the seller is just screwing around.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:19:33 AM EDT
[#15]
They are to cheap to buy the new bolt and carrier when they get a new upper and want to stick the cost to the next buyer.

bolts should not be switched from upper to upper.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#16]
how much for the tranny?[:P]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#17]
WoW!...$190...I have a bolt/bc/ch..I would sell for that...anyone?  Heck I would pay the shipping..

medcop
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:41:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Gene, i agree! i was just gonna go on every offending thread and type: [b]boycott[/b].

Rip, i agree! i would never switch bolts from rifle to rifle.

zak, i would sell the tranny for $300.00 shipped, but it does not include first or third gears!

medcop, i won't risk offending one of our "sponsors" to tell you where i saw that price! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Got to aggree with the fatmen here.  I was always taught that it was a bad idea to switch B/C with the uppers, since they wear into a "grove" with each other.  It does appear that fatty M4's main grip is that a lot of the prices for [i]used[/i] parts are the same that one can buy a new part for.....so why bother[>:/][>:/]  And then the salers sometimes get upset because no one will buy their stuff!!  Makes me wonder...

sgtar15
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Hey!  I'm selling a complete Armalite 20" upper [b]INCLUDING the B/C/CH![/b]  Only fired 60 rds.  $450 + S/H/I.  Interested? [:D] [email protected]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#21]
is that an A3 [b]including[/b] carry handle??
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:09:49 PM EDT
[#22]
No.  It's an A2 including carry handle.[;D]

AND a 3-slot brake![BD]

And a ... [thinking] let's see here ... a barrel ... a gas tube ... handguards (black of course) ... A2 sights ... you know.  All the things that make up a [b] COMPLETE UPPER [/b].

Hey.  I agree with you.  Nothing like seeing a "great" deal and finding out it's not so great because it's missing out a VERY IMPORTANT PART!

Kinda reminds me of the tool sets at SEARS.  Nice looking set for $99 or whatever, except it's missing a couple of wrenches, 9/16 and 3/4, which are $5.99 each, and 128 of the 200 pieces are 1/4" drive sockets less than a half inch and 8 mm.[:(]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Chanting...

boycott.....Boycott....BOYCOTT.....[B]BOYCOTT[/B]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 9:40:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Walt -

Would this upper be for a certain lower?  [:)]

Whats that saying..."ask and ye shall receive"?

(you got mail)
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 11:54:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Guys, quit your whining - this is the law of supply and demand. It is not a conspiracy.  When I was looking for an upper in 1996, you could find Colt M4 uppers complete with carry handle, 2 5-round magazines, B-square scope mount, and manual for ~$650 from several sources in SGN.  I know because I bought one. Since then I have watched this assortment get whittled down to bare uppers these days.  Guess why.  Every Tom, Dick, and Henrietta wanted one.  Same thing goes for GI 1911A1's, Garands, FALs, you name it.  The price went up because of demand.  Period.  End of story.  Now go put your tin-foil hat on tight, shiny side in so you don't infect anyone else.
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 12:05:32 PM EDT
[#26]
i wear my tin-foil beanie shiny side out, thank you very much!

seriously, my point was that if you are a seller wondering why your uppers aren't moving, its because they are not complete uppers. look above, i am not the only one who wouldn't put a new bolt in a used upper, or vice/versa.

FYI, i just today bought an upper from the equipment exchange, know why? because it had a bolt!

...yep, you guessed it shaggy! i got it for that lower! [;)]
Link Posted: 10/3/2001 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Uh... New bolt/carrier, $89 plus shipping.  Used, of course, is less.

Charging handle, under $15.

I don't know where you guys buy your stuff but I would suggest shopping around.

It makes no functional difference if you buy the bolt with the upper or buy a new bolt for a used upper you just bought, because you should check headspace either way.  That is, if you are worried that you might be out of limits and you don't want to destroy your new upper.  

If you buy an upper with a bolt with it, how do you know that the guy you just bought it from:
A. For sure bought both the items new and checked the headspace?
or
B. Didn't take some old bolt he had and threw it into the upper he just sold you?

In either case, you are relying on the person you bought it from, which is a bad practice if it is your noggin, 6" from the controlled detonation.

And carry handles.  I have two flat top uppers that I don't have, nor have I ever had, carry handles for.  There are plenty of people that never use a carry handle.  I think they are superfulous, what with the new removable small iron sight options out there.

But if you are paying $190 for an $89 part, I can see how you would think it is just as cheap to buy new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top