http://bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=148882&zoneid=500

ETA-thanks hellhound
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:06:04 AM EDT
[#1]
bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=148882&zoneid=500

25 handguns missing from sheriff's office in Machias

By Diana Graettinger
Thursday, April 19, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

MACHIAS - About 25 handguns are missing from the evidence room at the Washington County Sheriff’s Department and it looks as if it may be an inside job.

The Attorney General’s Office has been notified and an investigator is expected to be in Machias the first week in May.

Two of the weapons that had been in the evidence room can be traced to one person, Sheriff Donnie Smith said Wednesday. He did not elaborate. The sheriff said that if the investigation revealed that someone in his department was involved, they would be fired. "You’re only as good as your people," he said. "They’ll be history."

Smith said he notified the Washington County Commission about the theft on Friday.

In addition, Smith said that $450 was missing from the department’s administrative office.

He notified the AG’s office of the missing money earlier this year, but it declined to investigate. Smith said that he believes the money taken also was an inside job, but said he did not believe it was either of the two women who work in the office. He plans to bring up the issue of the missing money along with the missing handguns when the AG investigator arrives.

The department discovered the missing guns after an attorney sent a letter to Smith saying his client wanted his gun back. When officials looked for it, it was gone. That’s when their investigation turned up other missing weapons.

Asked if it could be a problem of poor record keeping on the part of the former administration, Smith said he did not believe so. "It doesn’t look like the case because if it was [it would be] just one or two guns. But that many [is different]," he said.

Guns are collected at a crime scene or confiscated from individuals. Often a car stop turns up a gun hidden under the seat or a gun is removed from a home during a domestic dispute.

If the gun’s owner is neither charged nor found guilty, the gun is returned upon request.

Guns that are not reclaimed are traded on behalf of the department. "We can either trade it for ammunition or ... for guns for the department," he said.

The county could be sued. "We take possession of something we are responsible to return it," Smith said.

The new sheriff said he has instituted stricter standards for handling evidence. The only people in the department with keys are the sheriff, the chief deputy and the full-time deputies.

Smith went public because he said there would be no "coverups" in his department. Good or bad, he said, "the public has a right to know."

Reader Comments
Submit your comments and photos (photos optional)

Joey of Machias, Maine - 04/20/07
I bet they arent missing they probably traded them in for new guns or equipment for the department.

Paul of Brewer, ME - 04/20/07
I'd call Ghostbusters. Perhaps they can figure out all the strange activity that has occured at the WCSD since prior to the last Sheriff's election.

Dave of Bangor, ME - 04/20/07
I just wonder who you call? Would you call the State Police, ATF or would the Shefiff's office just handle this? And just how does something as big as this happen at the Sheriff's office? I'd be very concerned in Washington County right now. Thanks, Dave

Paul of Brewer, ME - 04/20/07
I'm very surprised no one has commented on this article as of yet. To me it is very scary that 25 hand guns could just up and dissappear from a Sherriff's Department evidence room. Though it is probably even more scarier that the department doesn't conduct an inventory of weapons on-site during each shift. I hope the ending of this story is not a news article in the future containing the words--The weapons involved were stolen from the Washington County Sheriff's Office. There has been a lot of talk about gun control because of Monday's activities. Gun control starts with knowing where your guns are located.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Ayuh! Gauddang! Ah know they're round heah someweyuh! Some bastid musta bahrrowed 'em. Maht be, ayuh!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:31:12 AM EDT
[#3]
thats equivalent to a nuke ya know,  all those glocks in one small space
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Crooked .gov employee? Who da thunk it? I'm glad the sheriff announced the investigation so the crook will have time to cover his tracks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 10:10:43 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Ayuh! Gauddang! Ah know they're round heah someweyuh! Some bastid musta bahrrowed 'em. Maht be, ayuh!

Wrong part of the world, it's in Washington state.
We don't talk baby talk here.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Machias and Bangor are in Washington State?!? [johnnycarson] That's really weird wild stuff- I did not know that![johnnycarson]

Wow - whodathunkit!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top