Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2001 5:32:15 AM EDT
I am p****d at the local bugle, I am writing  a letter to them about our draconian 'assault rifle ban in PRNJ' There  was a quote from a member of the Japanese Miltary about attacking  California(old spelling), siad that they were concerned about  the  guns and that wee  knew how to use them. who was he and what exactly did he  say,Any help?
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:40:24 AM EDT
[#1]
This is not authoritative, but it may lead to something that is.

Go check [url]http://reagan.com/HotTopics.main/HotMike/document-7.1.2001.5.html[/url]

I'll keep looking for something better, in the meantime.

Eric The(AlwaysHelpful)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#2]
We're getting closer! Here's the post from Free Republic -
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b3f46ee3f3b.htm[/url]

Eric The(StillLooking!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:19:06 AM EDT
[#3]
The quote, I can't remember who said it in the Japanese military was something like this:
"you cannot invade mainland America, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"

I think someone here or at another site actually used the quote in his sig.

M@
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry, TheWind, but I can't find anything more than what I've already provided.

I've got someone looking for me on the 'PearlHarborAttacked' website, so I'll let you know if that proves productive!

BTW, in a letter to the editor, do you really need that much authority of citation?

Eric The(LordKnows,THEYNeverDoWhenTheyPrintSomething!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 7:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The quote, I can't remember who said it in the Japanese military was something like this:
"you cannot invade mainland America, there would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"

M@
View Quote

I think it was Tojo (spelling?), but I'm not 100% sure.  It was either him or Hirohito (again, spelling?)  But that is the right quote, "a rifle behind every blade of grass."  There is no doubt that an armed populace prevented any Japanese invasions.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I want to make sure I dot and cross everything....much appreciated
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 9:16:20 AM EDT
[#7]
The quote was by a Japanese Admiral after WWII to a group of our officers when asked after their success at Pearl Harbor why had the Japanese not attacked mainland USA.
I cannot remember the admiral's name nor the exact quote but his statement had to do with American civilians being armed and the difficulty in fighting such a foe.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Thought it was Yamamoto. He spent a good bit of time here before the war.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:21:40 AM EDT
[#9]
yamamoto.

[url]http://google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=yamamoto+rifle+blade+grass&hc=0&hs=0[/url]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#10]
It's been attributed to Adm. Isoruku Yamamoto in all the threads at google.com, but there is no direct quote or source shown.

Eric The(googler)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:39:48 AM EDT
[#11]
You might want to check with Soldier of Fortune Magazine. They did an article on civilian militias in Oregon in early 1942. They might be able to help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top