Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2007 4:26:30 PM EDT
What does it mean?  They're talking to you.  The next thing you know, their lips are still moving but their eyes are closed.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Are they limp wristed?

My dean, baaaack in junior high used to do that. My parents always thought he was a fruit.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are they limp wristed?

Just from observation, it seems to cross age, sex, sexual preference, etc. barriers.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I have never noticed that before.  Will have to start looking for it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:33:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate the ones who flutter/roll thier eyes. It's obvious they think you just might be below thier communication comprehension.

Not you personally.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to work with a guy who did that.  Kinda wierd, but he was definitely not gay.  With this one, I almost got the impression that he was so worried about embarrasing himself with his words that he closed his eyes to make it go away.  Never did get used to it.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
They have a case of the smug.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#7]
A combination of fear and shame.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#8]
They lack the ability to look you in the eyes. because they are either lying or uncomfortable.

I tend to look a person right in the eyes when I talk to them, its just the way I was raised.

Dear ol' dad always said "the eyes are the window to your soul"
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:45:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes me want to smack the person, like when they finally open thier eyes they roll back down, like one of those little dolls.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:52:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It is a case of lack of spatial cordination. They close their eyes inorder to set up a sort of nternal tel-prompter. They use this so they can imagine what they are going to say ( in their head) before they say it.

This is similar to people saying "what" before they answer a question. It is also used as a referance point to collect thoughts...much like  "um" or "uh".

The less cooth use fuck for this purpose. i.e. "hey jim are you going fishing tomorow"?

"fuck, uh, yeah Im going to fuckin go fishing to-fucking-morrow. fuckin-A, I would not fukin-miss it for the world."

Those who close their eyes, chose their words carefully and generaly do not curse. they also rarely say 'um' or "uh".
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:53:10 PM EDT
[#11]
'cuase they're LYIN'.
Link Posted: 4/6/2007 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Shrug. I stare off into space when I'm talking code, the discussion gets really technical, and I'm trying to think hard or juggle three or four things mentally at once. It helps to have fewer sensory inputs to process while thinking.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It is a case of lack of spatial cordination. They close their eyes inorder to set up a sort of nternal tel-prompter. They use this so they can imagine what they are going to say ( in their head) before they say it.

This is similar to people saying "what" before they answer a question. It is also used as a referance point to collect thoughts...much like  "um" or "uh".

The less cooth use fuck for this purpose. i.e. "hey jim are you going fishing tomorow"?

"fuck, uh, yeah Im going to fuckin go fishing to-fucking-morrow. fuckin-A, I would not fukin-miss it for the world."

Those who close their eyes, chose their words carefully and generaly do not curse. they also rarely say 'um' or "uh".

You may be on to something.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 5:57:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I catch myself doing this from time to time and only at work and in response to a question by a co-worker not familliar with the subject.

Mostly its composure.  Collecting my thoughts to make what I'm about to say is  technically correct.   I'll stop, close my eyes and inhale, open my eyes and speak.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#15]
When I was in Basic you got the dawgshit knocked out of you if you did any of that facial gyration crap...
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 6:03:14 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
What does it mean?  They're talking to you.  The next thing you know, their lips are still moving but their eyes are closed.

Same reason they observe with their mouths shut.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 6:30:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I turn off (or down) the radio when I'm driving and trying to look for an address in an area I'm not familiar, around accidents, detours, where I need full concentration.  If you ask me a question about minutiae that requires some serious thinking, I may close my eyes to dig info out of my memory because I can think better without the visual distractions.

In the heyday of stereo systems, I read numerous reviews of equipment where the listener would be in a dark room or closed eyes to be able to discern the difference between to phono cartridges for example.  Subtle differences that the brain couldn't pick out with the added data from the eyes coming in.  I like to think of the brain as a CPU and all the senses take clock cycles.  That's why people on cell phones drive like they have been drinking.

I have had several neurological tests done where they did dim the lights and said the results would be better if I fell asleep on one test, another test she said she would be asking goofy questions and feel free to just give a nutty answer.  I don't do nonsense stuff well so asked her what the objective was.  She said to keep my brain busy while they ran the test (with a bunch of wires hooked up to my head) and I could say anything, so I proceeded to tell her how I troubleshoot the stuff I work on.  She said it worked and she learned something<g>.  

YMMV...not in neuro field but spent numerous hours with a few of them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 6:37:33 PM EDT
[#18]
never seen that.

i do get alot of girls that wink at me when they talk to me    
Link Posted: 4/7/2007 6:38:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Uh. . maybe because you're ugly?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top