Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2001 6:15:33 AM EDT
Does anyone know anything about this Upper yet?

[img]http://ferret50.com/graphics/photos/large_view.jpg[/img]
Here is a rundown of the features:

The Ferret 50 is a true bolt-action single-shot 50BMG rifle conversion for the AR-15.

Includes a complete upper, a removable bipod and a high mass hammer.

To mount a Ferret50 to your lower, remove the bolt stop, buffer and buffer spring. Then
                                                               mount the Ferret50 to your lower. Use the high mass hammer for hard primers.

Features:

The bolt has three lugs and a large extractor.

The firing pin is blocked from forward movement when the bolt is open.

The 18" Lothar Walther barrel is free floating in the vented handguard.

The barrel is easily replaced, and the headspace is adjustable.

The muzzle brake is indexed by a selectable shim and is not visible when assembled.

The integral scope rail is elevated .750" from the receiver.

Fully assembled on an AR-15 lower it is 44", and weighs 23lb.

Custom features like left hand bolt, etc are available, just ask. See news and info page.

The FERRET50 is designed to be comfortable shoulder fire weapon. Its cener of gravity is
                                                               placed to provide a balanced feel. And its compact design allows for easy transport and
                                                               storage.

So whether you are looking for an entry level rifle, or an excellent hunting weapon, the
                                                               FERRET50 can be just what you are looking for. The FERRET50 is the most affordable
                                                               bolt-action 50 available.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Do a search on Ferret50 in the build it section.  The manufacturer posted there once.  Not bad.  Best that I've seen (but I only know of like.......two or three 50BMG Ar uppers).

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#2]
I know nothing more about it. But I like the concept better than the Watson break open design.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:49:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the Watson.  I would reccomend you save a little more cash and get an AR-50.  You will get more gun for your money in the long run, and a damn nice rifle.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#4]
This is cool.

[url]http://ferret50.com/[/url]

[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 3:53:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Have one on order, and have corresponded with Dave Moore, the designer/manufacturer.  Will be glad to post impressions and results when I get it.

There are more posts on: http://www.biggerhammer.net/barrett/wwwboard/index.cgi?

Do a search for up to about a year back on Ferret50.

Pat
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:47:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Haven't seen one yet. Last time I talked with Dave Moore he was still working on the muzzle brake and getting his machining finalized. I think he was talking about shipping shortly if he hasn't already.

I still have to get a hold of him since he hangs out at the same gun shop that I do.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Here is the run down I got from Dave:

Current prices (sale):
Ferret50 with 18" barrel-$1350.00
Ferret50 with 36" barrel-$1500.00
Ferret50 with 18" barrel,
extra 36" barrel, a set
of wrenches and head-
space gauges.             $2000.00

Delivery time is about three weeks.

Dave
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:50:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Can any .50 cal shooters tell me if there is a significant difference in accuracy betwee the 18 and 36 inch barrels?
wsmac
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:38:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#10]
go to 1919a4.com to get it for $1330 instead of $1500. Just my .02c
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 3:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok, check out this site about barrel lengths.

[url]http://www.anzioironworks.com/barrel_length_vs_fps.htm[/url]

Most 50 cals seem to hover around the 29" to low 30s" (Barrett m82a1, m95 are 29" m99 is 33", Serbu BFG-50 30", EDM Arms Windrunner m98 is 30"). Since what these manufacturers are trying to do is keep the weight down. You'll know what I mean if you ever have to lug around a M2HB barrel (weight about 28# and is 45" long).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top