Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 5:06:25 PM EDT
I am getting a new bike soon, and want to get some feedback from you guys. This is not going to be turned into a racing bike. It will be street only.
Please drop me an email if you esire not to post here.
Thanks!
StaySafe!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:11:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Suzuki GSX1300........BUSA!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:11:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Harley
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:13:12 PM EDT
[#3]
No question. Get a Harley Davidson! Not going to race, want a street bike that is the only one. Plus it holds its value way better than any japanese bike ever will.  We just traded for a 2001 Ducati monster 2 days ago, worth real money $3000. The guy bought a 2002 sportster, and if he doesnt like it in 2 years he will be able to get about what he paid for it.  Don't make the mistake of buying a jap bike. We sell Aprilla as well, but you are not looking for a race bike.

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:16:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Two excellent choices, you really can not go wrong here.  My 2cents, if you are just going to blast back roads, get the Duck.  If you plan to blast backroads, take a short trip, and cruise for chicks, get the Yam.  Duck dry cluches are a biotch in stop and go traffic, thourough breds love to run, they hate being paraded around.  [flag]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#5]
 MV Agusta F4-S

[url]www.mvagusta.com[/url]

the Suzuki GSXR-1000 is one helluva bike too!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
HighlandMac, What planet are you on and are you some kind of a pig-sticking ripp-off dealership or what.

Ducati is Italian. The typical Ducati holds it's value quite nicely.

rigidrotor_rt, think about this: If you get the Ducati it is going to be a solo bike. No rear seat. The R1 has a rear seat, small and uncomfortable as it is.

The other thing is that unless you live somewhere where you have mountains and twisty roads the 916 (996) will not be too much fun at all.
In just about everywhere the R1 will kick the 916's ass. Tight corners, power off the corners, those are where the 916 shines. Of course you could always drop another 3 grand into the bike and make it faster and quicker, or you could just buy the Corse Ducati 996R.

The important question is what is your level of riding experince?

Either of those bikes would be nice to own.
Don't discount the new Harley V-Rod either.

Quoted:
No question. Get a Harley Davidson! Not going to race, want a street bike that is the only one. Plus it holds its value way better than any japanese bike ever will.  We just traded for a 2001 Ducati monster 2 days ago, worth real money $3000. The guy bought a 2002 sportster, and if he doesnt like it in 2 years he will be able to get about what he paid for it.  Don't make the mistake of buying a jap bike. We sell Aprilla as well, but you are not looking for a race bike.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Get the Yamaha.  At least, there is no tune ups at every 1700 miles.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:23:15 PM EDT
[#8]
VFR at least it is streat usable!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Harley
View Quote

For many people motorcycling is about performance, as rigidrotor would seem to indicate by his choices.  Now I don't begrudge anyone who likes Harleys (except for ones with those freakin loud exhausts) but they have little to do with performance.

Your choice depends on what you are willing to put up with.  The R1 will be a much better day to day bike, but there is something about a Ducati.  Best sound in the world.  Think of it as Corvette vs. Ferrari, what would you choose?

The VFR is also a good suggestion, as I have owned one for many years. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Between the two? thats easy YAMAHA!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Well,

I've ridden 'em both and I went with a Buell X1.
[img]http://www.badweatherbikers.com/cgibin/discus/board-profile.cgi?action=display_picture&picture=javahed-badweb&timenow=1001831971[/img]
It is way comfortable, eats other bikes up in the turns, is a torque monster and is a bit different from your run of the mill bike.

check out [url]www.buell.com[/url]

Above all -- just get on some bikes. Ride them around, you'll know which one is right for you.

Dan
[url]www.gogetemgear.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry Javahed... i hate to disagree with a fellow shooter but... nay thing with an engine designed in 1918 is passe...pat
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, check out Buell too.  Not much difference in engine performance between a good Buell & a 916, and you'll die if you try to use the suspension difference between them on the street.  You might discover that you want less plastic.

That said, both the ones you're looking at are sweet bikes.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:25:50 AM EDT
[#14]
the Yamaha is a fast bike but will lose it's value quickly, the duc will hold it's value much longer and that entire line of bikes has a following like the Harley. they are an enthusiast machine and require more maintenance but turn heads everywhere you go and corner like no other bike ever, having had a Yamaha I have a lot of respect for them as they are quality bikes, but my next bike is going to be a ducati.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#15]
If you want performance, and RELIABILITY, with minimal maintenance costs, get the Yammie.

HD are too expensive, too slow, and too unreliable for what you are paying.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Ducati...pure and simple...you know you want one..everyone and their grandmother has a Yamaha,or a________(fill in with any other japanese sport bike), there are only a few bike that you don't see daily...and if you want to ride with someone else they do make the 2 seat model...I use to like Harleys but now every wanna be in the world has one now...Hats off to those who had em before it was trendy...
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:25:48 PM EDT
[#17]
My GF loves my Honda VFR400, perfect size for her and i!

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Smeghead/christin1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/Smeghead/christin2.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#18]
2002 Yamaha R1. Check the european sites for the best accessories {underseat pipes} vented rear tail section, one sided swingarms, polished wheels. I have a '98 Nothing like rolling the throttle and trying to hold on. Fairly comfortable for crusin', I think Corbin makes a very comfortable seat that helps on extended rides. I love my R1.

My suggestion, is to test ride a couple. My dream bike years ago was the Ducati 900SS. I like the 916 but it is too narrow and too small for my size.
Try this site for some links
www.motorcycle.com
www.miamizoocrew.com
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
price is also a consideration, the duc is a lot more expensive, but you get almost every goody you could want right out of the gate. the mods heavycalibre was listing are all to make the yammie look like the duc. bear in mind the r1 would be less expensive and easier to maintain and a blast to ride, also if you put the r1 down it's not as expensive to put back together, but for a true enthusiast of sport bikes nothing can stand in for the duc (except maybe the bimota). The r1 is a great bike by a reliable manufacturer, the duc is a hand built italian red head that has the two wheel apeal of the other italians(ferrari,lamborghini)
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't even buy a Harley if you want a Harley. Honda and Yamaha make better Harleys than Harley makes. I'd get a Valkyrie. That is the ultimate cruiser.

But in the spirit of the original post, get the Yamaha. The R1 is an excellent bike and more performance than you will probably ever need.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:24:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Tough Choice.  Two different machines.  The Yamaha is a real rocket sled, but all that power - it's kinda like taking a minigun out dove hunting (I know - what's my point?).  The Duck, though, is, well, just so red, and, oh so nice to look at.  It just a shame that Ducati doesn't know where to buy good valve springs.  Don't know how sold you are on these two machines, you might want to hold your green until the new Buell is available if you want a real handling rocket.  90 HP out of a newly designed twin in a package about the size of a 600. zoom.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Harly for sure.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 6:07:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Thanks to all! I do appreciate the responses. I have had my mind set on the 916. No Harleys..nice but maybe later.
StaySafe!
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 7:53:33 PM EDT
[#24]
No NO! WAIT! You're making a big mistake! Think about it! Are you sure? [:D]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:19:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Sorry Javahed... i hate to disagree with a fellow shooter but... nay thing with an engine designed in 1918 is passe...pat
View Quote

Ah, my friend -- Buells are only distant relatives to Harleys, Eric Buell has done magic with that engine, never mind what he designed around it. Just look at the differences. What does a sportster engine put out, 50hp? My X1 came stock at 101, and now that I put a K&N race filter on it, Accel plugs and wires, a high performance O2 sensor and a Power Commander III -- whoa!!!!! (and if you kids have not yet picked up a power commander, well shame on you!) I ain't been up against nuthin that can come close 0 to 100mph. I will admit over 100 the rice burners have me on a straight road, but they are all my beyatches in the twisties.

And for modern -- check out the Firebolt from Buell

Power - 92 hp @ 7200 rpm

Torque - 68 ft-lb @ 5500 rpm

Dry Weight - 385 lbs/175 kg

Check it out here -- [url]http://www.buell.com/products/xb9rmain.asp[/url]

Back to the subject -- I love all motorcycles, each is fun in it's own way. Find some forums related to the bikes you are looking at and lurk in 'em for a while. That way you can see what the actual owners think of them and you'll get the inside scoop on how the bikes really are.

Dan
[url]www.gogetemgear.com[/url]

BTW, man if you are gonna go with a 916 - save up for a 998R
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:40:21 PM EDT
[#26]
do the duck
r1= another jap bike
duck= respect
I have 2 friends that have them and they both love them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:47:53 PM EDT
[#27]
GET A HONDA CBR 1100F
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
HighlandMac, What planet are you on and are you some kind of a pig-sticking ripp-off dealership or what.

Ducati is Italian. The typical Ducati holds it's value quite nicely.

View Quote

What planet are you from? Look in a cycle trader in any region of the country. Harleys hold thier value better than anything on 2 wheels. My "rip-off" dealership is the 6th largest in the U.S. in sales. So who the hell are you and what the hell do you know about the motorcycle business? The reason we do so well at our our "rip-off" dealership is we treat people right, and we are priced like others in our market. We just do it better.

And Ducatis drop like a rock in value, as do all the rest of the OFF BRANDS.

It is understandable if you may not have the ability to afford one, but you need not take that out on others here that can, and have made a wise investment.  
[beer]

Link Posted: 9/30/2001 9:28:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Since your topic was Ducati or Yamaha, I presume that you have already decided on a sport bike rather than a street bike.That would automaticaly rule out the Harleys (sorry guys). But just like with firearms, you want to get the one that is best for you. You want to consider engine size, performance, reliability, maintinence costs, repairs, initial cost, resale value, insurance, riding equipment among other things. Get a bike fits your riding style and abilities. Don't let testosterone pick the bike for you. It could lead to disasterous results. I'm 5'6" and used to ride a Honda Interceptor VF750. My friend who was 6'2" felt that he needed a bigger bike because he was bigger than me. I had been riding for 3 years+ at the time. He decided to buy a Honda Hurricane 1000 as his first bike. Guess where this is going. A group of guy from work took a weekend ride. My friend missed a turn and totaled his bike. He was lucky and only broke 1 arm and 1 leg. Just an example of someone getting more machine than they could handle.
Do your research and get what fits you. Ride safe and enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/1/2001 6:15:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Do you have your heart set on a sportbike (916 or R1)?  If so, ignore all the comments about Harleys and such....

Have you ever ridden a Duc?  Ever sat on one?  Simply sitting on the bike and pulling the clutch and brake levers you'll tell an immediate difference between any Jap bike and a Duc without even starting it... the Ducati has a very definite and crisp feel of the levers... not wishy washy like the others.  Lots of attention to detail.

Are your balls big enough to handle an R1?  Whack the throttle and find out as you try to keep the nose down!  That's more power than I care for.  I dont plan on going 180mph down the freeway anyway!  160mph is fast enough for me.

Handling?  You'll find that the Duc turns in easier than any Jap bike out there...

Exclusivity?  You certainly dont see Ducs every day (not in my area anyway).  The R1 is like a Corvette, the Ducati is like a Ferrari.

916?  I'm guessing you're looking at a used bike?  I've heard rumors of a recall on past 916's, not sure what the problem was.

One last comment, if your looking for specific advice on sportbikes... dont ask your questions on AR15.com, go to the source!  Please join us at [url]http://www.esportbike.com[/url] and do your homework there.

You'll find lots of folks more knowledgeable about bikes there.

Good Luck,
Mark ('01 Ducati 748)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top