Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2001 3:19:58 PM EDT
We're going in!

Devastating attacks on bases controlled by Osama bin Ladan are set to be launched in the next 48 hours as part of a tightly focused military operation approved by US President George Bush and backed by Britain, mulitple press reports will claim on Sunday... Developing...

PAPERS: US AND BRITAIN TO STRIKE TERROR CAMPS 'WITHIN DAYS'

RUSSIAN TANKS TARGET TALIBAN: Russian tanks were last night poised to roll into Afghanistan as President Bush warned that war would be waged 'wherever terrorists hide, run or plan'...

WE'LL BOMB POPPY FIELDS: Poppy fields which supply the Taliban's multi-billion-pound drugs trade are to be a key target of military strikes in Afghanistan, according to a Sunday report...

Afghan rebels have promised to begin an all-out war against the Taliban within two days - with the support of American air strikes, the SUNDAY MAIL in England will report...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:21:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Part 1

Crack force set to prise bin Laden from his lair
By Macer Hall
(Filed: 30/09/2001)

SPECIAL forces units are preparing to launch underground attacks on the network of tunnels and caves that conceal Osama bin Laden and his guerrilla fighters.

The SAS and American elite troops will attempt to penetrate the fortified subterranean hideouts to kill or capture terrorists under plans being drawn up by military strategists for a "warning shot" in the war against terror.

Commanders know, however, that such close-quarter combat under the mountains of southern Afghanistan could lead to heavy casualties.

Historically, Afghan fighters have used their detailed knowledge of the caves and hidden trails through the mountains to defeat invaders. Their ability to strike with surprise, then vanish, was the key to their success against the Soviet Army in the 1980s.

Bin Laden's forces have burrowed a complex web of tunnels and caves beneath the mountains. Each base is defended by gun emplacements and anti-aircraft missiles launchers. The networks have dozens of escape tunnels and are linked to observation posts on mountain sides.

An assault on one or more of the caves would need a substantial force of aircraft, artillery and airborne troops to support it. Air strikes with deep penetration weapons would begin the attack, to knock out defences and to blast holes into the caves.

The United States could launch Tomahawk Block III missiles, which are guided by the Global Positioning Satellite system and have 1,000lb warheads, from submarines or warships in the Gulf. For greater accuracy, GPS-guided GBU28 "bunker busting" bombs could be dropped by F15E Eagles, F16 Fighting Falcons or other attack aircraft.

Then a special forces team would be deployed by helicopter - CH-53 Sea Stallions are an option - to attack guerrillas flushed out by the bombing and infiltrate the tunnels. In addition to the SAS and US Delta Force, other elite units with mountain fighting capability may be involved in an attack, including the Americans' 75th Ranger Regiment and the Royal Marines 3 Commando Brigade.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Part 2

Charles Heyman, the editor of Jane's World Armies, said: "It would be a very difficult operation, there is no doubt about that. Commanders will want a lot of troops and aircraft as well as artillery in support because many defences may still be in place after air strikes.

"The classic terrorist tactic is to desert these places and move away and not get themselves caught by properly organised military forces of any sort. But if there are people trying to defend them, you could have a really bloody battle on your hands."

Contingency plans for airlifting casualties out of the battle zone will also be necessary. American strategists are drawing on the experiences of the "tunnel rats" of the Vietnam War, the US soldiers who, armed with grenades, pistols and torches, fought in the hundreds of miles of tunnels dug by Communist guerillas.

While military technology has moved on, with thermal imaging equipment used to track enemies, the battle would come down to the same techniques of hand-to-hand fighting in claustrophobic conditions.

The terrorists' tunnels are believed to be able to conceal thousands of fighters for months. They include dormitories and other living quarters, communication centres and armouries stacked with Kalashnikov rifles, mortars, ammunition and explosives.

Some of the caves have lighting and electricity supplied by generators and makeshift systems of hot water pipes for heating. Al-Qaeda fighters live a sparse existence with just the Koran for comfort.

Bin Laden was known to be based in a cave in a mountain range above Jalalabad in eastern Afghanistan, the subterranean centre of his global terror network, until disappearing before the US hijack attacks.

His underground lair was reported to have a library of Islamic texts, an arms store and a communication room including computers, faxes and a satellite telephone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:29:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I Hope SO!!!!  I have been teased like this before..... Time To Kick Some ASS...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
its been awhile... whats the going rate for a pvt now-a-days  ?   TIA
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:37:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Jeez, come on people.   Do you think that we are going to call first and let him know were coming?  Why dont we just email him before we start to give him a heads up?

Dont beleive anything you read, silly peoples!!!

(Dont get me wrong, I will have a serious hard-on once the destruction of those fuckers begins)
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 3:49:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:38:21 PM EDT
[#8]
OK, now we all know that the hijackers believe that they were headed straight for heaven with 90 virgins at their side for all eternity...Now my personal opinion is this: They are burning in Hell with Hitler themselves in all of the hell sequences mentioned in Dante's Inferno(If you have not read this book, go get it and think of Osama Bin laden, the Taliban and all the other Islamic extremists)

Now when is there hell coming??Not soon enough for the families that have lost loved ones... I pray justice will prevail and our freedoms will remain intact.. I also hope that almost all of the innocent people who have no ties to this radical group have gotten out because I fear we will strike soon and heavily.. Bush was right to give some time for people to flee.. I have a feeling, since special forces are in right now, that we will strike by monday![(:)][}:D]
Just some opinions..
By the way, don't ever forget what a great country we live in..
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
-Andrea
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 4:53:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Who's Macer Hall? Is this an AP story? Do you have a link?
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 5:12:08 PM EDT
[#10]
???? WTF is this all about?  Link??
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:25:22 PM EDT
[#11]
http://www.observer.co.uk/international/story/0,6903,560772,00.html

Yawn... The media isn't getting much info and I think it's driving them a little nuts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I can hear the battle Hymn of the Republic...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
its been awhile... whats the going rate for a pvt now-a-days  ?   TIA
View Quote

For a private in the USMC its just umder 1000 bucks a month.  I Think the paygrade is the same in all the services.  Might as well go with the best.  [:D]

Smalls

LCpl of Marines
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#14]
This reminds me of my childhood days spend waging war on anthills in the backyard.

Magnifying glass
BB gun
Firecrackers
Gas
Black powder
WD40 w/ lighter
Glueboards

That type of war I could handle!

I think we should use the same basic strategy...
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:04:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
This reminds me of my childhood days spend waging war on anthills in the backyard.

Magnifying glass
BB gun
Firecrackers
Gas
Black powder
WD40 w/ lighter
Glueboards

View Quote

You'd be more
prepared if you had used Dursban instead.

Like its big brothers,
its antidote to exposure
is 2PAM and atropine.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Let's just do it if bush dont go soon I may have to go over there and take this in to my own hands or at lest hit the ant hill in the back yard agian. [50]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:18:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Magnifying glass
BB gun
Firecrackers
Gas
Black powder
WD40 w/ lighter
Glueboards

View Quote

You'd be more
prepared if you had used Dursban instead.

Like its big brothers,
its antidote to exposure
is 2PAM and atropine.
View Quote

That would be too easy!!!!  [smash]

Besides since the US military does not use Chemical or Biological warfare (except for those exploding chemicals [;)]),  neither would I.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:48:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Part 2

"The classic terrorist tactic is to desert these places and move away and not get themselves caught by properly organised military forces of any sort. But if there are people trying to defend them, you could have a really bloody battle on your hands."

View Quote

Now that they have a heads up, what'll keep them from going elsewhere.  This is why there's suppose to be no media coverage.

If true, I wonder how many of our boys will die because of this coverage.

Link Posted: 9/29/2001 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#21]
it's a pipe dream if there is no link!
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 11:22:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK, now we all know that the hijackers believe that they were headed straight for heaven with 90 virgins at their side for all eternity...Now my personal opinion is this: They are burning in Hell with Hitler themselves in all of the hell sequences mentioned in Dante's Inferno(If you have not read this book, go get it and think of Osama Bin laden, the Taliban and all the other Islamic extremists)

Now when is there hell coming??Not soon enough for the families that have lost loved ones... I pray justice will prevail and our freedoms will remain intact.. I also hope that almost all of the innocent people who have no ties to this radical group have gotten out because I fear we will strike soon and heavily.. Bush was right to give some time for people to flee.. I have a feeling, since special forces are in right now, that we will strike by monday![(:)][}:D]
Just some opinions..
By the way, don't ever forget what a great country we live in..
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!
-Andrea
View Quote

Hello Andrea,
It's a pleasure to meet your acquaintance.
Smeghead
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#23]
I just had a great idea.......How many members are on AR15.com???  I think that WE would be a pretty well-armed army.  We have all the cool toys that the armed forces dont or cant use.....

Then again, we dont have Apache helicopters, F-16's, tanks, or Hummers......never mind, just a stupid flash on my part
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:15:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I just had a great idea.......How many members are on AR15.com???  I think that WE would be a pretty well-armed army.  We have all the cool toys that the armed forces dont or cant use.....

Then again, we dont have Apache helicopters, F-16's, tanks, or Hummers......never mind, just a stupid flash on my part
View Quote

No wait I'll go with you. I got it all waxed up this weekeknd. I just gota fuel her up and stop by Walmart to pick up some fuzzy dice for the mirror..[:D]
[img]http://abacus.sj.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/4f463b2ee8662f361f5b77f15d/i-6.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/30/2001 2:16:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

But then again....the Afgee's didn't need F-16's to beat the Russkies!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top