Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2001 7:59:16 PM EDT
What happened to Grendel Arms?

I have done some searching and have found a *tiny* bit of info that what was Grendel is now Kel-Tec.

Is this correct?

If so, why the change? - didn't like the name (I do)?, bankruptcy?, bought out?, political correctness? move to the big time?

Other questions, What is a Grendel R31 worth? - used/not abused (will NOT sell).

Is there any source for Grendel parts?

Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 1/21/2001 10:08:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I think I'll have to seed this post. btt.

If you don't know the answer, Any thoughts or comments about Grendel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 3:59:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Grendel went under for some reason.  Kel-tec CNC is not the same company, though the same guy that designed the Grendel designed the Kel-Tec P11.  They are a completely different company than Grendel, not just a reincarnation like so many gun companies that go under.  I'm sure some of the players are the same, but the success of Kel-Tec would seem to indicate there is some difference in the leadership of the company.  I don't know why Grendel went under, other than all they offered was just a small .380 and some .22 I believe at the time the CCW wave of laws hadn't occured.  Small market, wierd gun, lack of other products, etc.  

The Grendel .380 is pretty big for a .380.  It's not much smaller than a P11, which is 9mm.  It's sort of a similar set up in that it uses a plastic grip frame with a metal insert, and steel slide.  There was no detachable mag.  If I'm not mistaken, you loaded the mag through the top of the gun with the slide locked back, like the old Broomhandle Mauser.  There was some sort of stirpper clip set-up I beleive.  That feature in itself would pretty much doom any design.  It's been a really long time since I held one, so I'm not sure on the details of the gun.

I don't know anything about the product numbers, so I don't know what a R31 is.  Your best bet for spare parts is probably to contact Kel-Tec and see if they know of a source.  Check the KTOG (Kel-Tec Owner's Group) for info as well.  They have experts in these guns.  There's bound to be a Grendel owner over there.  

It's not worth much sorry to say.  Figure there's really no practical reason to own one over a 9mm P11, so the price would be less than that model.  That's pretty low in itself.  There's no collector status involved with the Grendel.
www.ktog.org

Ross
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 6:17:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I see a few Grendels now and then, primarily at the pawn shops. The asking price tends to be $125-$150.  I think that is too much for that pistol.  Last year I bought a like new Kel-Tec P-11 for $150 and am very happy with it.  I almost bought a Grendel but the .380 and stripper clip loading turned me off.  I'm glad I waited.
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 10:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies!  I think I will contact Kel-Tec and the KTOG, no harm in asking.

I should have added that the R-31 is a 22 magnum preban carbine with all of the evil features - minus the bayonet lug of course.  Very few seem to have been made.

Anyone else have something to add?
Link Posted: 1/22/2001 11:44:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/26/2001 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:55:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I had two of these one worked perfect one didn't work. 125 is to much money
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Yo Lawndart,

I have an R-31.  This is one of the coolest guns I've ever seen or owned.  It gets LOTS of attention at the range, because it has the "cool look" factor, and has an impressive and unique report from the muzzle.  Plus people freak out when they find out it isn't on any ban list because it's a rimfire.  However, the 30 round magazines are regulated in places like KA.  I paid $400 for it brand new in '91.  I have seen them go for between $1K to $2.2K in the last year.  I think the wide range in price is due to the lack of familiarity that even hardcore gun fanatics have with this firearm.

I did have some problems with it initially.  It is very finicky in regards to ammo.  I have only had success with CCI Maxi Mag +V.  When Grendel was still around they recommended Winchester and other owners I have talked to have confirmed their success with the factory recommendation. Because .22WMRF ammo is so dirty you HAVE to keep this puppy clean so it doesn't jam.  That includes the magazines.  The springs will rust if you don't clean and oil them.  Fortunately I worked out all the bugs before Grendel went under in '94 and it works great now.  I don't know what to tell you about spare parts.  My advice is find someone who really knows their shit about machining parts.

What else?  Oh yeah, the repair guy at Grendel told me there were only around 800 R-31's made and the first 50 were not sold to the public.  Mine is in the low 100's.  What is the appx. serial number of yours?

If you want you can e-mail me and we can discuss this further or we can just keep the thread going.  Whatever.......

MG
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 10:53:17 PM EDT
[#9]
i have both a p-30 as pictured above as well as one of the p-30M's! the m series had a threaded barrel with m/brake mine is serial #3XX!
funny thing is that the barrel threads on the 30M are the same threads as an ar-15!! the flash hider fit's real nice on it.
the 31 is a carbine version of the p-30
grendel was co-owned by george kelgren(spck) who now owns kel-tec.
the mags on the 30s are cheap plastic. it would be nice to find a sheet metal guy who would be interested in cranking out a pile of 10rd mags for them. they do have some feeding issued, i ended up cleaning up the feed ramp (you can see where the mag sits lower than the ramp)
and mine only like winchester super X 22mag.
there is a cool factor especially when you crank off 30rds of 22mag!.
the firing pin is a weak link on the early ones as they were not heat treated like the later models were.
oh yeah they seem to be very acurate out to 100yds!
i have been able to make those mid size water bottles dance out to 100+yds
one more item of interest to grendel owners
PAINT THE GUN BRIGHT ORANGE toss it on the floor of your car and if anyone ask (like a cop) tell him it's the kids!! they look like a spaceman spiff gun
Link Posted: 3/2/2001 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I thought this thread was dead for sure.

Mean Green
We know where 2 of them are now!
I bought it new at about the same time you did, can't remember the exact year or price. - time flies!

It is in storage with a relative right now but the serial number never caught my eye - can't get much lower than yours.

The American Firearms Industry site has production numbers for Grendel rifles
http://www.amfire.com/rifles.html
I wonder if their numbers are accurate. - but it only covers 93-94.

At the time that I bought it I was actually looking for a Feather AT-22 - I love retractable stocks! So, I fell for the R31.
Thank goodness we have "the ban" to protect us from these evil-looking killing machines! [;)] [V] [:(!]

I haven't shot it much lately, preferring to shoot 22lr and the AR.  It is my only 22Mag and I've only shot CCI Maxi Mag through it, it seemed to work well enough, so I did not experiment.

It's great to know that they're desirable, but I sure didn't buy it to make money.  I have never actually seen one other than the mine.  I remember seeing one listed for sale on one of the auction sites in the range that you mentioned but I dismissed it as being some type of mistake - maybe it wasn't.  Someone would almost have to be insane to pay that much (I don't think that it sold), but I guess if you "had to have it."

Do you have a manual or know where (or if) I can get a copy of one? - maybe that would be too good to be true.

I'll make a visit to it this weekend to check the ser# and send you an e-mail. Thanks! [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top