Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2001 4:08:33 AM EDT
This author believes that America is in danger of losing the War on Terrorism even as we begin it. Why? Because of political correctness.

From the article -

The news media, the filter through which Americans receive their information, is reluctant to define the enemy. Indeed, within the last week, it has become politically incorrect to describe the Islamic terrorists who blew up the World Trade Center and Pentagon, murdering thousands of innocent Americans, as "Islamic terrorists."

As the Washington Times reported, "an organization of religion news reporters yesterday suggested that reporters avoid the term 'Islamic terrorist' or similar labels as Muslims and their beliefs receive greater scrutiny. The Religion Newswriters Association said it was 'troubled' by the frequent use of the term in the days after the terrorist attacks in New York and Washington." At its annual meeting last week, the group adopted a resolution also rejecting "similar phrases that associate an entire religion with the action of a few."

OK, but at least we can still call them terrorists, right?

Wrong.

Stephen Jukes, Reuters' global head of news, decreed that the giant wire service's 2,500 journalists should not use the T-word unless in a direct quote.

"We all know that one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter and that Reuters upholds the principle that we do not use the word terrorist," he wrote in an internal memo. "To be frank, it adds little to call the attack on the World Trade Center a terrorist attack."

Attempting to explain his values-neutral approach, Jukes added: "We're trying to treat everyone on a level playing field, however tragic it's been and however awful and cataclysmic for the American people and people around the world."

So former Reagan staffer and columnist Paul Craig Roberts was right when he observed recently that "[u]Americans might be so politically correct and racially sensitive as to be unable to deal with the problem at all[/u]."

And yet, as America's experience in Vietnam proved, widespread public support is critical for a successful campaign, especially a long, difficult and costly campaign, as the forthcoming war promises to be. Hard to garner support if the press doesn't tell us who the enemy is.

But the news media don't prosecute the war – the government does. So, how are our leaders doing in defining the enemy?

"Islam is a religion of peace," we are told, and these terrorists – oops, I guess I should say, these folks – are just some bad apples that belong to a widely dispersed "terror network" of a few hundred or even a few thousand members – who have "hijacked" Islam in order to philosophically justify their murderous hatred of the West.

See complete article at:
[url]http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=24704[/url]

One last blurb from article -

Take a deep breath. Of the world's approximately 1.2 billion Muslims, an estimated 10 to 15 percent are of the militant "Islamist" strain. Do the math – that's well over 100 million human beings who, to a greater or lesser degree, are caught up with what amounts to [b]the world's most dangerous cult[/b].

Eric The(Unperturbed)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 4:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
"This author believes that America is in danger of losing the War on Terrorism even as we begin it. Why? Because of political correctness."

Yep, and it even extends to a significant level here!

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:21:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Yip.
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:50:36 AM EDT
[#3]
"Americans might be so politically correct and racially sensitive as to be unable to deal with the problem at all"

BWAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Some of us have seen it for years, maybe it'll wake some people up but I doubt it. They'll just keep watching their Dan Rather and Katie Couric.

And my laugh was an "I Told you SO" laugh, I can already see there is nothing going to be done about this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top