Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 7:17:25 PM EDT
I have been looking at the remington 700 Police models they have available. I want something to reach out and touch with authority, was thinking the 308 would be good. Seems that is the standard snipping round that most use. Trying to stay under $750 for the rifle.

Anyone have one of these or have comments?
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Here ya go, found this and ordered one in .300win.
[url]http://www.snipercountry.com/forsale/Display_Message.asp?Message=0000000035.txt[/url]

Enjoy
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Fine firearms.  You'll probably want to adjust the trigger or install a Jewell.  And never skimp on optics.

I have one in 300 Remington Ultra Mag.  Ammo's expensive, but it'll reach out with "authority".  I really like it.

Link Posted: 9/28/2001 5:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Depends on what you mean by "reach out".  Do you have regular access to a range that's more than 800 yards?  If you do, will you regularly shoot at that range or more?  If so, you have a solid argument for the .300 Win Mag.

The .308 can be pressed out to 1000, but will go subsonic before it gets there, affecting accuracy somewhat.  I went with the .308 because I know it's fine out to 600-800 and will still give a good hit probability on a terrorist sized target at 1000.

I have heard the barrel life of the .300 Win Mag is dramatically shorter than a similar .308, due to the higher pressures and velocities.  Perhaps a .300WM shooter would like to confirm or deny this rumor?

I second the comments on not skimping on optics and will add don't skimp on your base and rings either.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2001 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Highpower, I will mostly shoot in the 100 to 400 yard range. But it would be nice to shoot out to 1000 yards if the ocassion comes up. Maybe I should get a 50 for those long shots!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top