Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2001 3:16:54 PM EDT
White House nixes controversial national ID notion

By Jennifer Jones
September 27, 2001 11:45 am PT

THE WHITE HOUSE will not pursue a national identification card system, despite renewed clamor from pockets of government and industry following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"We are not even considering the idea," said a Bush spokesman on Thursday.

The White House's chilly reception of the idea followed a recent surge of interest in the idea of national ID cards, including an offer from Oracle CEO Larry Ellison to have his company bear software costs for such a system.

On Capitol Hill, some lawmakers had surmised that support for a national ID card system would now be strong among Americans.

Research by the Pew Research Center for the People backed up that notion, finding that most Americans now favor national ID card use.

Pew found that although Americans seemed willing to absorb any privacy losses associated with a national ID system, most balk at government surveillance of phone calls and e-mails.

Still, the idea of a national ID system with centralized repositories and tracking capabilities has long stirred controversy.

"We don't want to see Congress pass something in a rush because everyone is fearful to get on an airplane right now," said Lori Cole, executive director of the Eagle Forum, a Washington-based "pro-family grassroots organization" started by Phyllis Schlafly.

However, vendors, including ActivCard in Fremont, Calif., were poised for a government move toward national ID cards.

"What we are talking about here in terms of value to the user is confidence. Security is part of it, as is ease of use, convenience, and mobility," said Tom Arthur, executive vice president at ActivCard.
View Quote

[url]www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/01/09/27/010927hnnatlid.xml?0927thpm[/url]

Has this been posted yet?

Looks like certain tech companies were hoping to make some money off this. Well Larry, thanks, but no thanks, you asshole!
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Sanity prevails.......for the moment.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Finally some good news! Bush is the man!
Thats my BUSH! [:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Good, it's nice to see this knee jerk solution shot down.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:36:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Looks like certain tech companies were hoping to make some money off this. Well Larry, thanks, but no thanks, you asshole
View Quote

Along with certain religious and revolutionary groups that wanted the "Mark of the Beast" prophecy to come to pass...
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:40:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:47:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Phew.....

Okay, back on guard now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 4:55:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Another beast put to rest, for now. [:|]

ColtShorty

GOA KABA COA JPFO SAF NRA

"I won't be wronged,  I won't be insulted
and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do
these things to other people and I require
the same from them."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
if its what the people want, then they should have it. this is a democracy after all and the majority rules.

(sarcasm off)

thankfully it is dead for now. common sense rules for the time being.

hear hear for an American republic for the rule of law.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice to See W justify my vote with some common frickin' sense.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:14:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Congress can still pass this with 2/3 vote even if Dubya vetos
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Well damn, what will Imbroglio have to complain about now?  [:D]
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Actually it seems to have been all hype.

The Adminsitration never had a interest in it (so they say) and (they claim) that they only spoke of it today because they were getting annoyed about people nagging them about it.

Aparently this was the work of the PR offices of "certain" hi-tec companies perhaps with a handful of congresscritters that they owned from their home districts.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#13]
What really rips my a$$ is Bill O'Reilly from Fox and Michael Savage (A more radical radio talkshow host) both support the idea of a national ID.  These guys really tick me offf with this one.  How can any so called conservative or freedom loving American like the idea of government being more intrusive and all knowing than ever. You will be using these ID cards to gain access to the toilet within 2 years if they are implemented and that data being logged in some government computer somewhere. It really gets me to see these guys support it. I feel betrayed by them. O'Reilly seems to not mind any intrusion into your life in the name of security. What have I got to hide he says. Why not have your home searched every week by authorities, what have you got to hide? In the name of security.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 8:29:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I think it will be within ten years. It will have imprinted in it your school record, work history, tax records,criminal record, credit report and rating, driving record, medical records,medical insurance information, social security information, bank records and an assigned number that references a master file with the FBI. It will also be possible to locate YOUR card with the GPS system. This will all be in the name of "anti-terrorism."
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#15]
The media will call for it, the sheeple will bleat for it, and dubya not wanting to look like he is caving in will endorse a Homeland Security freedom card.
Link Posted: 9/29/2001 9:54:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What really rips my a$$ is Bill O'Reilly from Fox and Michael Savage (A more radical radio talkshow host) both support the idea of a national ID.  These guys really tick me offf with this one.  How can any so called conservative or freedom loving American like the idea of government being more intrusive and all knowing than ever. You will be using these ID cards to gain access to the toilet within 2 years if they are implemented and that data being logged in some government computer somewhere. It really gets me to see these guys support it. I feel betrayed by them. O'Reilly seems to not mind any intrusion into your life in the name of security. What have I got to hide he says. Why not have your home searched every week by authorities, what have you got to hide? In the name of security.
View Quote

Very well put!  I am going to save this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top