Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2001 3:07:10 PM EDT
I just saw the evening news on NBC.  They had a segment on Sky-Marshall training, a basic piece but interesting nonetheless.

This is what was VERY interesting: when Brokaw started talking about how the bullets the Marshalls use will not penetrate the plane, they showed a demo.  The demo guy let off a long burst from some sort of AR-15 carbine at a metal box, then proceeded to show how the metal box disintegrated the special bullets.

Now, all the real Marshalls they showed training all had handguns, but I wonder why they did the demo with a 5.56 weapon rather than a .40, 10mm, 9mm or .45??  Do you think some Marshalls going to get AR-15s?  Oh my....

Penguin
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#1]
An AR-15 of any type would be my last choice on an airplane... Gimmie a Sig or a Glock and a PDW and I'd be a happy assed, well prepared, Air Marshall.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:45:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This is from the FAQ at [url]http://www.safetyslug.com[/url]
I wonder if that's what they were demonstrating...

Q: The GLASER Safety Slug was carried by the sky marshals on planes for years, would they be safe on a commercial jetliner ... ?

A: The Safety Slug was extensively tested by the sky marshal service during the 70's and 80's.  They were convinced that the GLASER had the most effective stopping power at close range, with the least likely hood of structural damage.  Glaser is an excellent choice for any situation where there are a large number of people; where the danger of a ricochet hitting someone is great; or when a bullet passing through interior walls is a concern.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:49:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Now, all the real Marshalls they showed training all had handguns, but I wonder why they did the demo with a 5.56 weapon rather than a .40, 10mm, 9mm or .45??  Do you think some Marshalls going to get AR-15s?  Oh my....
View Quote

My [b]guess[/b] is that it was purely for demonstration purposes -- trying to convey the idea that if a full-auto burst from an assault rifle won't puncture metal, then a few rounds of like ammo from a pistol aren't a danger (unless you're the highjacker).

Whether that's even valid reasoning is debatable. But I'm guessing it was done to reassure the masses of the "safety" of Sky Marshalls.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought the sky marshalls were supposed to be undercover? how could you carry an AR undercover, esp if they are banning carryons?
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#5]
You'll never see feds using 5.56 weapons on an aircraft in flight no matter what ammo they feed it.  Maybe it was a pistol caliber version.

-Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:00:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I was watching an FAA demostration last night where the guys were practicing retaking an airliner. The agents were undercover, sitting in isle seats, and were all carrying Glocks. There MO was to let the terrorists walk by and then jump up and plug the guy's back full of holes. Works for me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:04:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:39:01 PM EDT
[#8]
9mm MP5's would be more efficient. They also have the bad-ass factor going for them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 4:42:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I thought the sky marshalls were supposed to be undercover? how could you carry an AR undercover, esp if they are banning carryons?
View Quote

Give them the ultra compact DOE Colt 9mm SMG!

Uh Oh!  I just created a new category for AR15's!

Lawmakers forget about what you read.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 5:52:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw the same thing and I think the AR demo was by a manufacturers rep. He made a big deal that the ammo would not leave anything behind but "dust". What he was wiping looked something like
what's left after burning a welding rod. Dust?
Glasers would certainly go through the aluminum skin of an airliner, wouldn't they? and you'd have found some copper jackets in the box.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Even is the 5.56mm round didn't penetrate the skin of an airliner, have fun bleeding out of your ears or at least suffering permanent hearing damage.  Either case you won't be hearing someone come up from behind you after one shot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You'll never see feds using 5.56 weapons on an aircraft in flight no matter what ammo they feed it.  Maybe it was a pistol caliber version.

-Dave
View Quote

Good thought Dave, this certainly could have been the case.

Like most of you all, I too question the practicality of any AR on an airplane.  However, I think that if the feds really wanted the AR on the airplane, the AR would get on the airplane.  It had a collapsible stock and a short barrel; it could easily go in a carry-on.

Penguin
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:34:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 10:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Who cares what kind of damn ammo they use.  Either we kill the terrorists or they kill us.  This nonsense about shooting the plane down is driving me nuts!

I for one don't want to be hit with a stray Glaser round anywhere.  I would rather get hit with a richocheting .45.
Link Posted: 9/26/2001 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe i'm drunk or sumthing but what in the hell are they using full-auto 4 ?The military don't even use full-auto in that style gun!
Burst maybe but not full-auto................
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 3:15:15 AM EDT
[#16]
maybe it was using non letal ammo as the IDF uses sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#17]
A couple of issues- is response to being deaf after you shoot someone in a plane, what about dying in a firey crash?  which would you rather have?

2. The demo WAS a AR-15 full auto into the STEEL box-unfortunatley, most(all) airplanes are not made out of 1/8" steel.  I think the point was that the bullets would fragment on their way through things like: the overhead compartments sound barriers,  terrorists, other compartment trimmings before they went through: control lines/hydraulics/ other important stuff.
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:18:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Then the showed an AR firing full-auto into a metal box.  No holes and there was nothing but dust on the bottom.  My guess is that it was some sort of frangible round.
View Quote

Another [b]guess[/b] here but it may have been something like Longbow ammo. There's a range near me that let's you shoot 5.56mm indoors if you but this particular ammo precisely because it disintigrates on impact with solid surfaces (like the range backstop or, I suppose, a metal box).
Link Posted: 9/27/2001 6:26:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Glaser even makes this stuff in 7.62x39 for your "urban assault" AK-47.  [:d]

The down side -- it's 75 cents a round. OUCH!

[:)]

- CD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top