Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/22/2001 11:58:11 AM EDT
From ESPN -

[url]http://espn.go.com/soccer/news/2001/0922/1254026.html[/url]

Club coach disgusted by display

[Associated Press]

EDINBURGH, Scotland -- Fans of the Greek soccer club AEK Athens tried to burn the American flag before the team's match against Scotland club Hibernian, and booed during a moment of silence for the victims of the terrorist attacks in the United States.

"What went on in Athens disgusted me," Hibernian coach Alex McLeish said Saturday. "With what happened last week, innocent people of all nationalities in America, anyone would show respect."

There was a minute's silence at all 77 European games played during the week. But McLeish said that as the players stood in silence to pay their respects in the Athens stadium before Thursday's UEFA Cup game, many AEK fans jeered through the silence and tried to burn the American flag.

"What badly disappointed me was that there was no effort made by anyone, the police included, to do anything about it," McLeish said. "When I first heard all the shouting and jeering, I thought it was their way of doing the minute's silence. Then I was told by someone who said, `Look, they're burning the American flag.'

"I could not believe such anti-American feeling in a European country."

Several hundred fans booed and jeered, and a group set fire to an Israeli flag, while others tried to burn an American flag but couldn't get it to light.

Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Fuck 'em..........  Let them all feel our wrath.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:10:27 PM EDT
[#2]
These guys are probably Muslims there for the game. Although the Greeks have issues with us in regards to Turkey, Cyprus, and our previous support of military dictators, the vast majority of Greeks are not anti-American and would certainly not risk the loss of tourist dollars as the result of such a display. They don't love us, but they aren't stupid either.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:27:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
These guys are probably Muslims there for the game. Although the Greeks have issues with us in regards to Turkey, Cyprus, and our previous support of military dictators, the vast majority of Greeks are not anti-American and would certainly not risk the loss of tourist dollars as the result of such a display. They don't love us, but they aren't stupid either.
View Quote

Fraid not. A navy friend of mine who was there in the 70s said that they were pulling that shit whenever they would go ashore too. But in our time it's mainly because of the Kosovo flare up and our bombing of Serbia. Greeks and Serbs are both Orthodox and the greeks were pretty pissed during that whole campaign. Have you forgotten THE RIOTS when Clinton went there afterwards? They have issues with the Albanians too. There is also some anti-israeli sentiment due to a percieved David VS Goliath conflict with the Palestinians.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#4]
remeber if ur not with us ur against us..
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Greek immigrant friend who is as loyal an American as anyone I know.  He and I disagree over Israel and England but see eye to eye on most other things.  He has no use for Albanians, Turks or Brits.

Like most other nationalities their is a good deal of variation between individuals.  We even have flag burners here.  Not that I agree with either bunch......

It is good when others support us but this is OUR fight and something we can do alone if need be!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:52:35 PM EDT
[#6]
So, where's some of that famous Scottish soccer hooligan ass-whipping when you really need it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:56:07 PM EDT
[#7]
This won't fare well in the numerous Greek owned New Jersey diners!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 8:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
There is a great deal of anti-American sentiment in Greece.  Most of it rarely exceeds the booing and flag burning, though.

Has anyone here lived in Greece in recent times?  I can't help remembering the movie Zorba the Greek when I think of Greece...
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Fuck 'em..........  Let them all feel our wrath.  
View Quote

Ditto...mmk
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top