Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2001 8:50:22 AM EDT
Ours from Mountain Home have been (announced by the commander of the base on TV) and I cannot recall if they have been deployed forward before. (Hint: Nuke trucks=B1)  I am just trying to add this to my daily thoughts.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]
There were some flying out of the UK during Kosovo.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 10:58:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Don't you mean the B-2, thats the big black flying wing bomber. The B-1 is the swept wing bomber that was going to replace the B-52.
BALOO.
Link Posted: 9/21/2001 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#3]
No, I really mean the B1B supersonic low level penetrator.  Just curious.  So some did fly outside the US during Kosovo?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:09:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Planewrench:

No, the B2 has never been deployed outside of the US.

All the US missions to Kosovo (and there were many) were launched from the US.  I believe that the base used is outside St. Louis.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#5]
If I remember correctly, the B1-B has been flown in combat many times with great sucess. It had a few hicups during developement and testing but according to the History Channel, it worked exactly as it was supposed to.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I found this for 'ya Planerench.

[url]http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/B_1B_Lancer.html[/url]

What a beautiful lady she is.. :)
[img]http://members.home.net/hivac-1/Guns/b1[/img]

Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been wondering the same thing. I didn't think the B-1's had ever been deployed abroad but I guess the previous link proves otherwise.
 I thought that the old B-52's where primarily used in Iraq for the heavy bombing runs.
 Maybe some B-1's have been converted from their former primary SAC role (nukes) to a more conventional set up??
 Maybe the B-1 will utilize cruise missiles?
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I know the stealth has been used a few times (B2 in Kosovo).  I was not aware of any actual deployment of the B1-B in combat or from a position forward of US soil.  Anyone know how to find out?  Is there some public record after the campaigne is over?  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 2:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
The B1-B had a "bunch" of hick-ups during development - many due to their electronics suite.
B1-B was not used in Desert Storm for fear too many would be shot down.
This puppy is exceedingly difficult to load with conventional weapons by hand and the auto-loaders are a problem themselves.
The B1-B is capable of supersonic flight but due to fuel consumption only in short sprints.
I was not aware the B1-B had ever been forward-deployed - I'm probably wrong.
The B-52 is the cruise missile platform of choice.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
{The B1B} What a beautiful lady she is.. :)
View Quote
Oh yes, Oh yes.
I'm proud to say I worked at Rockwell Intl. NAAO, AF Plant 42, Palmdale. Forward Intermediate Fueslage. Ships 15 to 75.
Link Posted: 9/23/2001 10:06:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks guys.  I didn't really think they had been used in actual combat as nuke delivery is their specialty.  They are a bit techy for the job they do but dang.. what a body.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 5:15:22 AM EDT
[#13]
jean-claude:

Saw alot of you guys on the B2 in Pico Rivera before they went to Palmdale for final assembly.
It's sad because I think we have seen the last of the bombers.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 2:57:43 PM EDT
[#14]
From the B-1B Lancer USAF fact file

The B-1B was first used in combat in support of operations against Iraq during Operation Desert Fox in December 1998. B-1s have been subsequently used in Operation Allied Force.
View Quote

SOF has had articles of it and it´s use against Iraq in issues April 99 and May 99.

Link Posted: 9/24/2001 3:04:58 PM EDT
[#15]
HEY jean claude my uncle oscar worked on the B-1 in palmdale(rockwell), hydralics systems I think it was.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 6:29:15 PM EDT
[#16]
A bunch of hickups is an understatement.  Why is the B1-B a "B" model?  Because the original design was so bad that they had to go back and redesign a tremendous amount of the plane.  

After the substantial cost over-run and time it took for redesign, and the fact that the program was cancelled by Carter and brought back to life by Reagan, when it was finally finished it was a plane without a mission.  We had no need for a intercontinental bomber to carry nuclear weapons at high altitudes.

To salvage the plane we then made it into a groundhugging bomber by stuffing it full of electronics.  More money and more time.

And after all that we still rely on 40-50 year old B-52's for the heavy lifting.  B1-B's may have the looks but B-52's get the job done.

Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The "b" version was mostly the result of a desire for a cheaper version, and also the result of the several year delay after Carter canceled it.

The original version was a supersonic and low altitude bomber. Ths is a big technical challenge.

Carter cancelled it, and it went to sleep for a few years. during that time lots of other things advanced, the most important of which was stealth. The redesign backed off from supersonic low altitude requirement to just high subsonic. This made things cheaper due to things like fixed engine inlets. It added low observables technology; the B version is something like 1% of the radar signature of the A version. Backing off from supersonic also reduced the thermal signature. There were other changes, such as the escape pod on the A version that got cut back to ejection seats on the B version.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 7:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Sure carries a lot of ordinance!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
HEY jean claude my uncle oscar worked on the B-1 in palmdale(rockwell), hydralics systems I think it was.
View Quote
Interesting.

It was a *BIG* plant though  .  .  I might know something if you knew his bldg #.

The bldg I worked in was the birthplace of the XB-70 Valkyrie!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 8:49:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

The bldg I worked in was the birthplace of the XB-70 Valkyrie!
View Quote

Awesome plane!
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:32:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Yes, the XB-70 Valkyrie was a plane, allright — at least on paper. But man, what looks! Nothing since comes close.

[IMG]http://www.dfrc.nasa.gov/gallery/photo/XB-70/Small/ECN-1814.jpg[/IMG]
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 9:42:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Yes, the XB-70 Valkyrie was a plane, allright — at least on paper. But man, what looks! Nothing since comes close.
View Quote

THX for the great photo. Gotta love that "six pack" [:)]

I dunno, the F104 was a sweet looking plane.
I think the SR-71 was the coolest though.

I guess technically those pre-date the XB-70.
Link Posted: 9/24/2001 10:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep, any plane that requires the installation of safety covers to keep the service crew from cutting themselves on the wing edges is definitely cool enough to make this list...
[IMG]http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/modern_flight/mf46.jpg[/IMG]

And the Blackbird was at least 30 years ahead of its time....
[IMG]http://www.wvi.com/%7Elelandh/b4.jpg[/IMG]

I'd also add the FB-111 to that list — Not only  a great plane, but also a magnificent looker...
[IMG]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/029/Wc/OX/85/RM24273.jpg[/IMG]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top