Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, as a left handed shooter, most slide releases are put in locations that are a bitch to use for me.  When I'm just futzing around, I might use the release, but if I'm being somewhat serious I try to make sure I'm in the habit of doing the slingshot for speed's sake.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:26:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Neither, the slide should drop when  new mag is inserted and seated. I believe that my old HK4 did this.

This occurs fairly reliably on my CZ-85 Combat, which I use for USPSA, and it's a real advantage.  

otherwise hand over top.  Was taught that way at an Insights defense class and it makes more sense.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 10:56:44 AM EDT
[#4]
hand over top. as other posters have mentioned, it is easier to perform and it prevents the slide stop notch from getting rounded off.

btw, i've had glocks, 1911s, a witness, rugers and other handguns drop the slide if the magazine was inserted vigorously enough. i'm pretty sure any auto can do this, i just don't feel it's a reliable tactic.

eta: voted "other." i think the poll is flawed. there's alot of confusion as to what "slingshot" means.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:06:34 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Hand over top... grip the back of the slide with your non firing hand, thumb towards you.  NOT the slingshot, one finger and a thumb can slip.  Grip the slide over top with all four fingers, tug and release.

+1 but I voted slingshot.

Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:30:53 AM EDT
[#6]
I had to "un-learn" the use of the slide hold-open when I went to Thunder Ranch.

The best method is to reach over the slide with the entire left hand and release the slide.  It is a gross motor skill, and actually compresses the recoil spring another 1/4 inch, giving an extra boost to the slide inertia.

Demonstrated in pictures here:  Slide Release

Also shown is the "wrong" way to do the slingshot method.

Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Hand over top... grip the back of the slide with your non firing hand, thumb towards you.  NOT the slingshot, one finger and a thumb can slip.  Grip the slide over top with all four fingers, tug and release.

Whole hand over the top is the way I was taught at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center), and it was called "slingshot".
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:34:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Hand over the top.

I use the slide lock/release only administratively.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hand over the top.  Never the slide stop.

+eleventy billion. Good reason not to buy used. Eventually the slide will stop locking back if the release is used too much.

There are reasons not to use the slide release.
- it is a fine motor skill..hope it works in battle
- wears out components faster

I only use it when cleaning and only with pressure off the slide.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 11:50:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:05:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 12:37:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

+1!
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 3:45:00 PM EDT
[#13]
bump
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Sling shot for me
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 7:18:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Just checked my WWII vintage Mauser HSC. The slide locks open and then when you insert a loaded or empty mag the slide drops. The mag is gently inserted so I know I am not bouncing the slide stop off.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 7:37:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Glocks slide lock is thin sheet metal.  Definately slingshot with a Glock.

Link Posted: 1/9/2007 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Hand over the top..

#1- You get that little bit extra spring pressure and slide travel to chamber the round
#2- Gross motor skill vs fine.. Better under stress.. Covered in blood..ect..
#3- It is called a "slide hold open" or "slide stop" for a reason.. It is not a slide release
#4- Non-diagnostic. if there is a problem in the chamber hand over top will usually clear it..   Slide stop will usually cause a type 3
#5- Odd things happen in gunfights.. You may try to close the slide on an already closed gun. You may have dropped the hammer on an empty chamber.. Hand over top will most likely clear something like this.. Other than hitting the slide stop and looking at he gun wondering WTF just happened
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 8:08:53 PM EDT
[#18]
If I am at the range dickin' around, I'll use both the slide stop and hand over top.  When I load my carry piece, I exclusively use hand over the top.  That way I KNOW I chambered a round and it'll be ready should I need it.  Or, just carry the revolver
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 8:16:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Slide release.  Like God and John M. Browning intended.
Link Posted: 1/9/2007 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#20]
I use the over hand method.

I tried to use the left hand thunb to activate as I grip the weapon, but it did not work well for me, and I wound up looking for the slide release for often than not.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Maybe it's just my large mitts but I have no problem slapping the slide release of my 1911s as I get my left hand back up into my supported firing position.

Done it in training classes and enough in dry fire to have it be a much smoother action than jacking the slide back with my left hand...

Once again ... to each their own.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#22]
I don't use the slide release. I shoot right handed. Keeping the muzzle on target,  I use my support hand to release the empty mag, insert a loaded mag, roll the top of the pistol to 9 O'clock and pull the slide with my support hand. Very little movement and very quick.

It's awkward to go over the top and point your thumb back towards you.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 6:53:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Consider that in a gun fight there may be many issues that prevent fine motor functions between your hands and weapon, such as: dirt, mud, blood, gore, broken bones, weak hand shooting, and or a dazed mental state.

Over the top grip and rack slide for a fighting gun.  

Link Posted: 1/10/2007 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

What he said.
Link Posted: 1/10/2007 5:00:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Slide release. USP was made to be released that way!
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 4:55:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I posed this question over a year ago at LF and never got a definitive consensus. Recently the topic came up again a several people whom I trust their word said this, "It doesn't matter". It is all on how you train. If you can only do one good then do that one. If you're good enough to do both then keep doing it. I understand the idea behind the "sling shot" technique and have used it and sometimes I prefer it. It is universal for all semi-autos. However, there is nothing wrong with using the slide stop if that is what you are comfortable with.
It was also said that the terms gross and fine motor skills is a misnomer cooked up years ago by various firearms trainers so they could push their technique (not my words). If fine motor skills are in question then you would have trouble operating the mag release and trigger hence forth this topic would be a mute point.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:25:22 PM EDT
[#27]
cannot slingshot if your other arm/hand is otherwise occupied or injured
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:30:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Slingshot here
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:32:26 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Same here.

At Tactical Response they have a saying. "Fingers Turn to Flippers", so hand over top is the most logical way.

That is an exaggeration but a good way to make the point.

Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Which is a gross motor skill and which is a fine one?  You want simple, stress-proof operations when it comes to firearms handling.

Pulling the trigger, for a lefty which I am, is the same type of motor skill as dropping the slide release.

I noticed that when I wasn't thinking about it, I would hit the slide release. I had to think about using the overhand method. Which am I more likely to do under stress? Train like you will fight.

That said. That's what works for ME. YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:50:32 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hand over the top..

#1- You get that little bit extra spring pressure and slide travel to chamber the round

May or may not be valid.

And the trigger is? And the magazine release is?

#3- It is called a "slide hold open" or "slide stop" for a reason.. It is not a slide release

Depends on the gun.

#4- Non-diagnostic. if there is a problem in the chamber hand over top will usually clear it..   Slide stop will usually cause a type 3

#5- Odd things happen in gunfights.. You may try to close the slide on an already closed gun. You may have dropped the hammer on an empty chamber.. Hand over top will most likely clear something like this.. Other than hitting the slide stop and looking at he gun wondering WTF just happened
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:52:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I posed this question over a year ago at LF and never got a definitive consensus. Recently the topic came up again a several people whom I trust their word said this, "It doesn't matter". It is all on how you train. If you can only do one good then do that one. If you're good enough to do both then keep doing it. I understand the idea behind the "sling shot" technique and have used it and sometimes I prefer it. It is universal for all semi-autos. However, there is nothing wrong with using the slide stop if that is what you are comfortable with.
It was also said that the terms gross and fine motor skills is a misnomer cooked up years ago by various firearms trainers so they could push their technique (not my words). If fine motor skills are in question then you would have trouble operating the mag release and trigger hence forth this topic would be a mute point.

It's "moot" point, but I agree 100%.
Link Posted: 1/11/2007 5:55:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Slide lock/release for me.

I never win anything - but at least I made a tie.  

[ 113 ] slingshot [ 46.12% ]
[ 113 ] slide lock/release [ 46.12% ]

Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:06:17 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

+1
I don't like changing my grip, it's *way* more positive than slingshot, and it's damn near as fast as slide stop with very little practice.  Also, the muscle memory is good for IADs.  

ETA:  Wow, I agree with markm on something.  As long as a certain sort of aftermarket trigger and hammer pin is not mentioned...
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:11:05 AM EDT
[#35]
slingshot

too many damn autos w/ the dang slide stop/release in so many different spots, its easier to have it all consistant
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#36]
I slingshot with the Beretta M9A1 and Hand-over-Top with the HK USP Tactical.

Nathan
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:44:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Slide stop.

Left handed 1911 shooter, it's right under my trigger finger, no grip change.

The motion to release the slide is identical to putting my finger on the trigger any other time.

Mag release is strong hand middle finger. Only thing the off hand has to do is slap the mag in, very fast.

Get lots of practice changing mags every 8 rounds.

Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:45:11 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:48:49 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hand over the top..

May or may not be valid.
IMO it is very valid.. There is another .492" of slide travel past the slide stop on the Glock.. .212" on the 1911..

And the trigger is? And the magazine release is?
Try to limit the number of fine motor skills as much as possable. Try to keep number of overall handeling skills as low as possable too..

Depends on the gun.
Glock, 1911, HK, Beretta, Sig... All call if a slide stop

Ok, I was wrong to type type 3.. My bad.. BUt things like stove-pipes, some FTE, FTF (Have seen many people in classes fail to notice a FTF as the reason for the slide to lock up.. They usually reload under stress)

Another thing I have seen many times in classes.. Someone runs a tac reload and trys to hit the slide stop.. Then stop and wonder why they didn't feel the slide close. Now this is a lack of training, but not everyone hs the time and money to go to classes. Had they gone hand over top they would have downloaded a round.. Just without the WTF look on there face for a few seconds.. Just one example of the odd shit that happen while shooting under stress.. And that is just on the range.

Link Posted: 1/12/2007 1:07:38 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
cannot slingshot if your other arm/hand is otherwise occupied or injured

+1 I use the release.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 1:12:01 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

I am adapting to this technique now.  I used to be a hardcore slide stop guy.  But, I'm adapting after being show reasons for the hand-over-top technique.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 1:24:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Slide stop, all models.

I disengage it with the left (weak) hand.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 1:27:01 AM EDT
[#43]
I usually do the slingshot, but I've been caught using the slide release from time to time (actually more often than not)

I have a Glock, so I use the shigshot often when I shoot my G21. On my 1911s however, is the slide release.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 2:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]
The extra spring pressure bit is invalid.  Almost every practical shooter I know and shoot with, including myself, uses the slide stop.  Most of these guns are 6 figure round count glocks.  I've NEVER SEEN ONE FAIL TO GO INTO BATTERY IN THOUSANDS OF RELOADS.  Plus, I'm faster using the slide stop than you are with slingshotting.  That "you" applies to anyone.  I'm cutting way down on movement and I'm back on target faster.  Jerry Miculek is the only practical shooter I've met that reloads faster than me without using a slide stop *

If you don't know why, I can't help you.

Not to mention, to compensate for the stress of combat, I have enlarged slide stops on all my guns.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even touched the old style Glock slide stop lever.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 6:02:34 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
The extra spring pressure bit is invalid.  Almost every practical shooter I know and shoot with, including myself, uses the slide stop.  Most of these guns are 6 figure round count glocks.  I've NEVER SEEN ONE FAIL TO GO INTO BATTERY IN THOUSANDS OF RELOADS.  Plus, I'm faster using the slide stop than you are with slingshotting.  That "you" applies to anyone.  I'm cutting way down on movement and I'm back on target faster.  Jerry Miculek is the only practical shooter I've met that reloads faster than me without using a slide stop *

If you don't know why, I can't help you.

Not to mention, to compensate for the stress of combat, I have enlarged slide stops on all my guns.  Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever even touched the old style Glock slide stop lever.

Even without enlarged slide stops ... I still think it's faster and I treat it like the bolt release on an AR: Slap it and go. Maybe that's just because I have larger hands though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 12:11:44 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Slingshot. Gross motor skills under stress.

same.

plus, metal on metal friction under tension isn't a good idea if it can be avoided.
Link Posted: 1/12/2007 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Exactly so.
Link Posted: 1/13/2007 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#48]
If we are only talking about an empty pistol, then either method is fine. As stated before, letting the slide slam forward on en empty chamber by releasing the slide stop is hard on your gun. If we are talking about cycling the slide with a live round in the chamber, the hand over the top method is NOT a good idea. When extracting a live round and you have a loose extractor, it is possible to have the round slip off the face and potentially strike the primer on the ejector. When that happens, where is your hand ? I like to keep my fingers. I know there will be plenty of people who say that is BS, and that's fine if they want to think that. Believe me, it has happened. The "slingshot" method or thumb and index finger in my opinion is the safer way to go.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top