Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2007 7:32:02 PM EDT

Portsmouth police lieutenant, nephew indicted in drug case
The Virginian-Pilot
© December 23, 2006 | Last updated 8:37 PM Dec. 22

PORTSMOUTH - A grand jury Friday indicted the head of the Portsmouth Police Department's drug-fighting unit on a charge of conspiracy to distribute cocaine between Oct. 1, 2001, and Dec. 19, 2006.
At an earlier hearing, prosecutors said Lt. Brian Keith Muhammad Abdul-Ali, a 21-year veteran of the department, had provided information to his nephew about ongoing investigations for years.
The grand jury also indicted the nephew, Gregory Mondell Elliott Sr., 36, on the same charge and an additional charge of possession of cocaine with intent to distribute.
Other information - such as search warrants - has been sealed as the investigation continues.
Abdul-Ali and his nephew were arrested Tuesday.
Abdul-Ali, 48, has been suspended without pay pending the outcome of the case. He was released on $50,000 bail.
Elliott is being held without bond.

Link

ETA

Portsmouth officer freed on bond, nephew still in jail

07:01 PM EST on Wednesday, December 20, 2006

by Patrick Terpstra
 Click to watch video

The head of Portsmouth Police Department's Special Operations Team was arrested Tuesday on a drug charge.

From Portsmouth Police
Lt. Brian Keith Muhammad Abdul Ali
Lt. Brian Keith Muhammad Abdul Ali is out on bond after his wife pleaded with the judge to give her husband a low bond, and the judge agreed.
Other details emerged in court Wednesday when prosecutors accused Abdul Ali of giving away top secret information to help his nephew sell drugs.
Prosecutors say they searched the Portsmouth home of Gregory Elliott and his business and found a large amount of cocaine.
Elliott said his uncle, Portsmouth Lieutenant Abdul Ali, told him where to get the drugs.
Abdul Ali's attorney says prosecutors have the veteran officer on tape talking about the drugs.
“No drugs or anything were found on my client, but they had him under some kind of wiretap,” said Michael Massie. The attorney says his client denies the charges.
Elliott's family says they don't believe the prosecutors who say Gregory admitted guilt.
 “My brother is about business, providing for his family. He has four children here. Providing for his children, that's all that I can see he's been doing,” said Elliott’s sister Nicole Elliott.
The judge was not as lenient with Gregory Elliott, who prosecutors say actually had the cocaine. He remains in jail without bond.
Ali is a 21-year veteran of the Portsmouth Police Department. He has been suspended without pay.
Ali and Elliott face charges of felony conspiracy to distribute cocaine.

Link

Link Posted: 1/3/2007 9:44:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Color me NOT shocked....
Link Posted: 1/3/2007 9:49:48 PM EDT
[#2]
It is my opinion that the law should require people who hold a position of public trust and responsibility to be punished more severely for crimes than the average citizen,  if their
position of trust has any bearing or relevance on the case.

That would certainly apply in this case.

I would favor extremely harsh punishment.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Color me NOT shocked....

ditto  
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is my opinion that the law should require people who hold a position of public trust and responsibility to be punished more severely for crimes than the average citizen,  if their
position of trust has any bearing or relevance on the case.

That would certainly apply in this case.

I would favor extremely harsh punishment.

CJ

I'm with you on that...I don't even understand why he gets out on "low bond" while the other remains without bond....he should be held to a higher standard and shouldn't be out.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 6:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
guess the polygraph did catch these guys
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Color me NOT shocked....
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:16:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
*snip*
At an earlier hearing, prosecutors said Lt. Brian Keith Muhammad Abdul-Ali, a 21-year veteran of the department, had provided information to his nephew about ongoing investigations for years.
*snip*

wonder what that drug money was funding?

Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Color me NOT shocked....

ditto  

Exactly why the "War on Drugs" is useless.
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:26:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Muhammad Ali was arrested?
Link Posted: 1/4/2007 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
*snip*
*snip*

wonder what that drug money was funding?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top