Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/29/2006 2:08:18 AM EDT
Teen accidentally shoots self in face

New Port Richey, Florida — A teenager has been hospitalized with facial injuries caused when a bullet he found fired while held in a vice, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday.

The victim, Alex Carman, 15, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with injuries to the right upper cheek.

Investigators say the Riverridge H.S. student found a 380 bullet on the side of a road, brought it home and put it into a vice. He apparently struck the the primer end of the bullet with a metal screw, causing it to fire.

They say a 22-caliber bullet pierced with a screw was also found near the vice. On the ground was a hammer and a small pool of blood.

Investigators say it "appears Alex placed the bullet in the vice, hammered a screw into the primer causing the bullet to explode."

They say it appears to be an accidental injury. There were no charges.

www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=46159
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:10:38 AM EDT
[#1]
My brother and I pounded out some .22short cartridges when we were kits.

Kids do the stupidest things.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]

"Here, hold my 64oz Big Gulp and watch this..."

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:17:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

How true
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:17:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

More like:

"Here, hold my Mad Magazine    and watch this...."
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:21:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Note to DC, guns and ammo don't kill,
stupidity does. That idiot is America's future
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 2:25:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, further proof that "Stupid Hurts".

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Darwin did'nt get this one! Too bad.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:11:58 AM EDT
[#8]

ETA:
Nevermind

Oh snap!
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:16:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow, I haven't heard a thing about this on the news.  I bet this same kid had a problem understanding "Don't touch that, it's hot"  too.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Teen accidentally shoots self in face

New Port Richey, Florida — A teenager has been hospitalized with facial injuries caused when a bullet he found fired while held in a vice, the Pasco County Sheriff's Office reported Wednesday.

The victim, Alex Carman, 15, was taken to Bayfront Medical Center with injuries to the right upper cheek.

Investigators say the Riverridge H.S. student found a 380 bullet on the side of a road, brought it home and put it into a vice. He apparently struck the the primer end of the bullet with a metal screw, causing it to fire.

They say a 22-caliber bullet pierced with a screw was also found near the vice. On the ground was a hammer and a small pool of blood.

Investigators say it "appears Alex placed the bullet in the vice, hammered a screw into the primer causing the bullet to explode."

They say it appears to be an accidental injury. There were no charges.

www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=46159

So he actually tried it twice?

Guess the payoff wasn't big enough on the first try!

Joe
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 3:59:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
... Kids do the stupidest things.

+1

I’d be truly embarrassed if I had to admit I didn’t do anything stupid as a kid.  

As it is, that’s an admission I’ll never have to make.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:09:29 AM EDT
[#13]
I did stupid stuff, but not quite that bad.  A friend and I would take 22 magnum spent brass, cram them full of caps, put some putty and a BB at the end and hit it with a hammer.  We could get a BB through garbage can.

Another fun one was taking 10 feet of 1/2 inch copper pipe, a marble and a 150psi air compressor.  We never did find any of the marbles we shot out of the pipe, they would fly for blocks.

Amazing we never got in trouble for any of it.

Dez
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#14]
At least it was a .380 and not a 10mm.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:31:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hmm, I did that as a kid - but I used a hammer

I just got a bruise on my leg.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:45:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Note to DC, guns and ammo don't kill,
stupidity does. That idiot is America's future

The future is here, I deal with them everyday.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 4:58:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:06:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Didn't someone post an article about a month ago about the EOD being called because someone found a stray bullet in the street?  Europe, somewhere, IIRC.

I guess we need laws like that, here.

And.....    Technically, did he shoot himself?  There was no gun involved.  Popping the primer is considered shooting?
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#19]

"DAMMIT!!!  I almost got OWN3D you!"

This kid narrowly missed a great article in the Darwin Awards.  I'm glad that I'll be raising my children with a solid comprehension of how dangerous guns can be without the proper responsibility.  If every parent was a responsible gun owner,  things like this would be a lot less likely to happen.  This kid was obviously feinding for some action and he could have easily vented that in a controlled environment such as a shooting range.  I don't know how much this kid's parents could have swayed this sort of action if they didn't own guns and convey a proper since of firearm safety upon the kid.  If they weren't gun owners, why bother talking to their son about guns (or bullets)?

ETA:  Fixed it for myself.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

What kind of kits.  were  you?  
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:13:12 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

My dad got popped in the knee when he was a kid.  Stole some .22 short out of the barn.  Kept them there for hog slaughter.  He said it was neat to whack them and see the hammer fly up in the air!  He told his mom, my grandma, that he caught his knee on a nail running outside.  The doctor asked mom to step out while he cleaned it up.  My dad fessed up, and the doc fixed him up and sent him on his way, w/o the whipping of a lifetime waiting at home.

Imagine that scenario today!  I imagine the state would automatically take the kid into "protective custody" and make the parents jump thru their little government hoops for weeks/months trying to get him back.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:17:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Good for him!  He got what he deserved and learned a valuable lesson:  Life is tough, wear a helmet.

dumbass
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:28:39 AM EDT
[#23]
What movie was it that a couple young kids playing in the rubble of London during WWII were doing the same thing.  I always liked that movie and this reminded me of it.  Anyone know?

I bet the people saying that Darwin shoulda got em and the like would be singing a different tune if it was their child.  
Kids will always be doing stupid stuff no matter how hard we try.  I am willing to guess that most of us have done some VERY stupid stuff.  Some of us when we were old enough to know better.   Anyway....just my 00.01
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
What movie was it that a couple young kids playing in the rubble of London during WWII were doing the same thing.  I always liked that movie and this reminded me of it.  Anyone know?

I bet the people saying that Darwin shoulda got em and the like would be singing a different tune if it was their child.  
Kids will always be doing stupid stuff no matter how hard we try.  I am willing to guess that most of us have done some VERY stupid stuff.  Some of us when we were old enough to know better.   Anyway....just my 00.01

Like I said, I have a daughter of my own with a son on the way.  It's my personal responsibility to teach them safety with that kinda stuff and let them get out their anxt in a safe and controlled environment and hopefully that will help them avoid doing things like hitting a primer on a bullet with a screw just for kicks.  I didn't even grow up around guns and I still knew what an uncontrolled bullet was capable of.  Sorry if I offended someone.  I didn't say I wish the kid got it from Darwin...just having a joke and I'm just glad that he didn't need to die to learn a lesson.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:53:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like I said, I have a daughter of my own with a son on the way.  It's my personal responsibility to teach them safety with that kinda stuff and let them get out their anxt in a safe and controlled environment and hopefully that will help them avoid doing things like hitting a primer on a bullet with a screw just for kicks.  I didn't even grow up around guns and I still knew what an uncontrolled bullet was capable of.  Sorry if I offended someone.  I didn't say I wish the kid got it from Darwin...just having a joke and I'm just glad that he didn't need to die to learn a lesson.

They'll still do stupid stuff.  Kids are ignorent of a lot of stuff and you can't explain all the dangers in life so some things they just gotta learn the hard way.  There's probably less chance my girl would be involved in a firearm injury as I can fully explain and demonstrate the danger.  But I'm sure there are things that can hurt her that I have thought of too.  You just do the best you can.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 5:54:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

The movie is, "Hope and Glory".

Hope and Glory

Yes...there is a scene where the boys put a .303 round in a vise and set it off with a hammer and nail.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No offense taken, and my comment wasn't really directed at anyone specific.  I feel the same way at times and understand where people come from when expressing that sentiment.  Just picturing one of the little ones that i care about doing something he/she saw in some movie or heard from a friend.  Lord knows i have done lots of stupid shit.  
ETA

That's what I'm saying.  I'm just trying to get the point across that if I teach them gun safety, hopefully they'll know better than to go around hitting bullet primers with screws.

agreed completely
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:49:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Whoops! You're a dumbass.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:53:44 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'll still do stupid stuff.  Kids are ignorent of a lot of stuff and you can't explain all the dangers in life so some things they just gotta learn the hard way.  There's probably less chance my girl would be involved in a firearm injury as I can fully explain and demonstrate the danger.  But I'm sure there are things that can hurt her that I have thought of too.  You just do the best you can.

That's what I'm saying.  I'm just trying to get the point across that if I teach them gun safety, hopefully they'll know better than to go around hitting bullet primers with screws.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 8:59:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Kind of reminiscent of me and my cousin taking dry corncobs, shoving a .22 LR cartridge into the end, laying it on top of a fence post and shooting at the rimfire primer with a bb gun.

Probably should have gotten hit but didn't, until dad caught us and then we got hit multiple times with a belt on the old kiester.
Link Posted: 12/29/2006 9:15:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Darwin did'nt get this one! Too bad.

LOL - Natural Selection takes a vacation.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top