Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2001 9:46:30 AM EDT

[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~thegardenweasel/headline.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=2371711&BRD=1652&PAG=461&dept_id=12530&rfi=6[/url]

Firearms dealers say Americans seeking security

ANDREW BLEJWAS, Register Citizen Staff September 18, 2001  

With the recent terrorist attacks on the United States many Americans are feeling that their security and safety is threatened, and some are taking matters into their own hands.
Several gun retailers in Litchfield County are reporting an increase in gun sales and interest in purchasing guns among residents of northwest Connecticut. A week after four commercial jetliners were hijacked, some people are feeling the need to increase personal safety, and they are turning to handguns.

"Sales have been brisk," said John Longhi, owner of John's Firearms LTD in Torrington. "It's nothing spectacular, but sales are up a little bit more than usual.

"I think people are probably scared," said Longhi "and you never know today. I just think this past experience has worked a lot of people up."

Mike Winter, owner of Winter's Discount Guns in Morris, also reported an increased interest in handguns, with some residents wanting to purchase a gun for a family member.

"With everything going, I've had a few calls this week, and a few more today," said Winter, who operates his store part-time. "Some stores are basically sold out.

"It makes people feel a little more comfortable to have [a handgun] at their house," continued Winter. "It gives them a little more sense of security."

"Samuel Colt made a statement a long time ago that a handgun makes everyone equal," said Longhi. "I'd rather have a gun in my house, at least then you have some means of protection.

Both Longhi and Winter acknowledged the impracticality of having a handgun to combat what happened on Tuesday. Rather, both talked about a sense of personal security that a handgun affords, and the right to bear arms, especially during a threat to national security.

"People don't realize that this country was founded on firearms," Longhi said. "We got away from British rule because of our hunters. The reason we haven't been really attacked from another country is because people in this country do have firearms."

With a surge in interest in gun ownership, police are saying that people need to be careful, even with Connecticut's strict gun control laws.

"It's all about common sense, and being careful," said Torrington Police Officer Tom Vannini. "You can't react irrationally."

A handgun in the house is used against someone in the family a vast majority of the time, said Vannini, who runs a handgun education program for Torrington youth.

"Studies show if you use a handgun someone in the family is going to be hurt a large percentage of the time," said Vannini, who said the owner is ultimately responsible for who uses the gun.

"The bottom line is you have to be careful."

Link Posted: 9/18/2001 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The bottom line is that
he is a tool.
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 11:09:20 AM EDT
[#2]
I also have on file a copy of what
our other "Youth Education"
programmers put out last Sept.
The English department at a local school
taught students
that John Ashcroft
opposed legislation that would
prevent terrorists from purchasing
"plastic guns
that cannot be detected by
airport security"
as well as "armor
piercing handgun ammunition"
during the election.

My tax dollars hard at work
to maintain quality education.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top