Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2001 8:36:08 AM EDT
I picked up an ALICE pack about a month ago at the local surplus store. I do a lot of camping, hiking, and fishing....so I figured for $20 it was a killer deal. When I loaded it up and put it on, it seemed to carry the weight too far back. I kept feeling like I had to tighten the straps, or grab the straps by my shoulders and pull the pack closer and higher. It kept falling back, and hanging low. It was pretty full, and I have the medium size pack without the frame. What am I doing wrong? I know this can't be right, it was very uncomfortable. Does the frame make a big difference? I have screws in my lower back from surgery, so comfort in a pack is a BIG deal to me. I just asssumed since the military uses ALICE packs, they would be sturdy and comfy.
Any help would be appreciated
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:41:33 AM EDT
[#1]
You got a good deal on the pack but ALICE was never a 'comfy' pack. There is a reason that we call it the 'life sucking tick'. There are many comfortable pack designs on the market these days that would make you alot happier -- the amount of happiness is incomprehensible until you actually try some.

High Performance Tactical Gear!
[url]www.Lightfighter.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Get the frame.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 9:47:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I have seen some new shoulder staps that have a buckle betten the staps about chest high. looks like they would be a very big help,I think they were called Ranger somthing or another.Yes the frame will help.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:01:28 AM EDT
[#4]
ALICE is a great 'cut & run' pack, but it's not designed for comfort.  The frame will tend to place pack weight  more on your hip bones; the straps alone transfer all weight to your shoulders.  If comfort is what you're looking for, go to a good backpacking store & get measured/fitted by someone with experience.

hanko
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#5]
silverstrand_pat,
I started out with a Medium Alice pack.
Without the frame, the weight did not seem to distribute evenly and in my opinion, it was not very comfortable.

A friend of mine gave me his frame and it was
alot more comfortable because there was nothing
poking my back.  

If you hike/camp alot on simple trails, or
in the woods, the Alice Pack is ideal.
The extrernal frame cools your back and you
can attach alot of other equipment to the frame
with straps which you can buy almost any where
for less than $1.
I've used for a 7 day trip once and it worked
out fine.  

I decided to ditch my Alice pack because my trips are mainly overseas and I spend 3 to 4 weeks there. I do alot of trekking
and winter camping so I bought a Dana Design
6000 cu pack which served my purpose.
This pack is expensive but it does the job for me.

The most comfortable pack for hiking right now
are the Osprey Packs. Thats just my opinion but
let me warn you, the price is HIGH!

Good luck.

Cheers,
lefty12

Link Posted: 9/17/2001 1:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:54:08 PM EDT
[#7]
[url]www.tacticaltailor.com[/url] has some good stuff for ALICE too.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 8:30:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys
I think I'll pick up a frame and waist strap for now....maybe someday I can invest in a nice North Face or Dana Designs pack.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top