Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2001 7:30:39 PM EDT
OK...never played the market before.. dont want to play for money, just want to buy to express my confidence in the American economy. Say $200.
I know there are people on this board that have knowledge of these things, what advice can you give? BP
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
General Dynamics .............. oh wait.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#3]
What bonds"? Would it be better to invest in a co. that was wiped out in the blast? BP
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Get ten shares of Triquint NASDAQ: TQNT.  They make gallium arsenide chips.  Then walk away from it for a few years.  You will be happy when you look at it again.

Don't buy in pre-market activity or at the open.  Wait until about 10:00 Eastern time.

Jim
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Buy US Gov't bonds only if you want to park funds in something safe not for an investment. Govvies are trading below 3% for maturities below 5yrs.

Applied Materials. That cause I own it and I want it to go up. So please buy a shitload of Applied Materials. For no apparent reasone other than my benefit. I got it at 65, then 40, then at 30. So my cost is 45 anything higher than that would be greatly appreciated. I figure with 10K members buying 10K share a piece that would rally the stock a bit for me to get out at say......sixty. So help a fellow member out, buy yourself 10,000 shares of Applied Materials tomorrow. Cause I really need the money.

OH BTW, word is institutionals will be buying heavily tomorrow if Main Street sells off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#6]
I only want to demonstrate confidence in the market, not make money. BP
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#7]
EMC
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 9:35:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I recommend a few Bulgarian, AK folding stocks.

Seriously, any defense related stock should prosper, and would be patriotic to boot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2001 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not an investment advisor (although I play one on TV), I'd say that just any defense-related stock  would  probably be a decent choice — Raytheon, E-systems, Texas Instruments, etc.

Really bad choices would include Boeing, Airbus and most airlines — at least for the short haul, or unless you can buy at ultra-bargain-basement prices.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 4:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 8:06:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Texas Instruments (TXN) - defense related

and I think Cisco (CSCO) could be a good choice for the networking aspect.  I believe companies that don't have alternate data sites soon will.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top