Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2001 7:52:55 PM EDT
Ive had this question in my head for a while now. Im courius how many  rounds per minute could be expected from a solder in combat in WW1 with a bolt action rifle? Im meaning accrate fire as in actually takeing the time to aim
thanks
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
The standard in the British army in 1914 was to fire 20 rounds per minute and to score 16 bullseyes at 400yards from the prone position.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:16:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I heard an estimate that the Russians using Mosin Nagants (This data from WW2, but the gun dates from 1891) claimed something in the range of 12-15 aimed shots per minute.
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:35:54 PM EDT
[#3]
how many rounds did the gunbs hold?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:38:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Shooting both guns, I'd say the ratios are about right.  The Enfield is that smooth.
BUT, if you have to get the safety off on the M-N, 1st minute rate would be about 2 ;)
However, the M-N only holds 5 rounds and the L-E 10.  With 5 round stripper clips, you have to be fast freddie to get 2-3 more clips in there.  They both use rimmed cartridges that aren't too stripper friendly.

DAMN, I ain't no rifleman!

ArmdLbrl, any idea what the dimensions of a british 400 yd target are?
Link Posted: 9/13/2001 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#5]
From Roy Dunlap's book "Ordnance Went Up Front". This is about his adventures during WW2. For those of you who don't know the name, Roy Dunlap was one of America's premier gunsmiths.

"By 1914 the regular British infantry were the hottest riflemen in any army, constantly practicing and competing. The regulation course of rapid fire called for 15 shots per minute on a camouflaged target, but the higher ranking shots qualified at 25 shots a minute and could keep most of them where they aimed them."

That would be a shot every 2.4 seconds!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top