Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/1/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
Did they just make a device for automatically firing a gun and show it functioning on TV IN CALIFORNIA?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:31:41 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Did they just make a device for automatically firing a gun and show it functioning on TV IN CALIFORNIA?

Better tell them to hide their dogs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#2]
first thing I thought...

They press a button and all 5 shots are fired.

Did they get that registered?  Do they have the proper permits it manufacture an automatic gun?

Are they crazy showing that on TV in California?

Where are the lawyers?

Is this last Mythbusters as the BATFE are breaking down their doors and shooting their dogs as we speak.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I missed the episode...is there a video clip somewhere?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:53:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would be shocked if they didn't have some sort of exemption as much as they use firearms on their show.. BUT..  who knows...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:56:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I'm watching the episode right now.

I think it's the new one.  It might replay soon.  I think it came out today so I don't think there are any vid clips of it yet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:58:17 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would be shocked if they didn't have some sort of exemption as much as they use firearms on their show.. BUT..  who knows...
]

NEW manufacture.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their "day jobs" are prop builders for movies, and as such they are licensed to get away with LOTS more than us mere mortals when it comes to firearms.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

]

NEW manufacture.  

I can see it now BATF issuing a letter to exception to NFA laws...cause they think or interpret that its legal for them to do so...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#9]
They live in San Fran. California and work for the movie/media industry.

These two facts place them above the laws and regulations of mere citizens.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:06:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Their "day jobs" are prop builders for movies, and as such they are licensed to get away with LOTS more than us mere mortals when it comes to firearms.

Please direct me to the Hollywood "prop builder" exception in the NFA.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Title 33, Chapter 15, Section 9A(i).
Really, it's there. I swear.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:11:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It isn't even the 2 main guys that do it.  It's their 3 stooges.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's under section $$$$$
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I am going to start the Scrum Motion Picture Company.  I need my own little NFA exception.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:15:12 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yes, yes they did.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:17:20 PM EDT
[#16]
But does it apply to black powder firearms? They're so much less restricted that you can have them shipped right to your house IIRC. Maybe that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone willing to try that with an old school gatling gun?

I think not...
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I think I am going to start the Scrum Motion Picture Company.  I need my own little NFA exception.

OOO OOO OOOO Can I be your first employee?  All in the good cause of accuracy in movies, right?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:20:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Might have fallen under some of these...

ARTICLE 3. PERMITS 12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age.
12231. Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full description of the use to which the firearms are to be put.
Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget.
12232. Every person, firm or corporation to whom a permit is issued shall keep it on his person or at the place where the firearms are kept. The permit shall be open to inspection by any peace officer or any other person designated by the authority issuing the permit.
12233. Permits issued in accordance with this chapter may be revoked by the issuing authority at any time when it appears that the need for the firearms has ceased or that the holder of the permit has used the firearms for purposes other than those allowed by the permit or that the holder of the permit has not exercised great care in retaining custody of any weapons possessed under the permit.
12234. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the Department of Justice shall, for every person, firm, or corporation to whom a permit is issued pursuant to this article, annually conduct an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile the inventory of machine guns.
(b) A person, firm, or corporation with an inventory of fewer than five devices that require any Department of Justice permit shall be subject to an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile inventory, once every five years, or more frequently if determined by the department.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I still don't see how under 922 (o) movie prop and gun rental companies can possess post May 1986 machine guns.

I think all machine guns owned by Hollywierd are pre 1986.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:24:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Now some machine guns made in or before 1898 that shoot obsolete ammuntion are NFA exempt.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:30:35 PM EDT
[#22]
Now I could be wrong but it looked like they.

We can't shoot this fast enough. let me whip something up.

few hours latter.  Fully automatic revolver.

Not

We can't shoot this fast enough. let me whip something up.

few months and a letter from the BATFE and some hours latter.  Fully automatic revolver.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#23]
what was the name of the episode . I'm at work now so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Show is on in 5 minutes here.  I gotta see this.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Who cares............its entertainment and educational.

Only a asshat would notice..............That being you!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
what was the name of the episode . I'm at work now so I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

Episode 65: Exploding Lighter
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:50:46 PM EDT
[#27]
I thought many (most?) of the prop companies that use and provide guns for movies are 07/02 FFL's and can legally make full-auto stuff for their use.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:55:55 PM EDT
[#28]
They probably didn't know any better.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:55:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Kind of a weird episode.

But the guy shooting the coin in the air was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:57:51 PM EDT
[#30]
here's a link to their forums

Mythbusters

on again right now
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#31]
ok I'm recording it on my DVR system, I'll see if I can post the clip of it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#32]
just started here(12:00am)
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#33]
They all need a lesson in gun saftey. They are lucky they didn't kill anyone.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#34]
Of course their usual disregard for where the muzzle is being pointed, and fingers on triggers.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Might have fallen under some of these...

ARTICLE 3. PERMITS 12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age.
12231. Applications for permits shall be filed in writing, signed by the applicant if an individual, or by a member or officer qualified to sign if the applicant is a firm or corporation, and shall state the name, business in which engaged, business address and a full description of the use to which the firearms are to be put.
Applications and permits shall be uniform throughout the state on forms prescribed by the Department of Justice.
Each applicant for a permit shall pay at the time of filing his or her application a fee determined by the Department of Justice not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. A permit granted pursuant to this article may be renewed one year from the date of issuance, and annually thereafter, upon the filing of a renewal application and the payment of a permit renewal fee not to exceed the application processing costs of the Department of Justice. After the department establishes fees sufficient to reimburse the department for processing costs, fees charged shall increase at a rate not to exceed the legislatively approved annual cost-of-living adjustments for the department's budget.
12232. Every person, firm or corporation to whom a permit is issued shall keep it on his person or at the place where the firearms are kept. The permit shall be open to inspection by any peace officer or any other person designated by the authority issuing the permit.
12233. Permits issued in accordance with this chapter may be revoked by the issuing authority at any time when it appears that the need for the firearms has ceased or that the holder of the permit has used the firearms for purposes other than those allowed by the permit or that the holder of the permit has not exercised great care in retaining custody of any weapons possessed under the permit.
12234. (a) Except as provided in subdivision (b), the Department of Justice shall, for every person, firm, or corporation to whom a permit is issued pursuant to this article, annually conduct an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile the inventory of machine guns.
(b) A person, firm, or corporation with an inventory of fewer than five devices that require any Department of Justice permit shall be subject to an inspection for security and safe storage purposes, and to reconcile inventory, once every five years, or more frequently if determined by the department.

Link please?  I just got a great idea.

-Ben
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#36]
is your idea to get them to test what you can and can't do under BATFE regulation?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:21:23 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
is your idea to get them to test what you can and can't do under BATFE regulation?

No, but that might be another idea to look into.

-Ben
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:24:43 PM EDT
[#38]
Ok they just showed it again

The machine holds the trigger down and cocks it over and over again for 1 press of the button.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#39]
was it a cap and ball revolver or a cartridge gun?

as cap and ball is exempt from SBR reg so i would assume it would not fall under any NFA regs
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:27:35 PM EDT
[#40]
better link

wheelgun fun
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

as cap and ball is exempt from SBR reg so i would assume it would not fall under any NFA regs

Thats how they got away with it the gun they used in the machine was a cap and ball.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

not sure

once the vid clip gets uploaded we'll see.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:31:45 PM EDT
[#43]
tag for torrent
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I still don't see how under 922 (o) movie prop and gun rental companies can possess post May 1986 machine guns.

I think all machine guns owned by Hollywierd are pre 1986.

I guess somebody gave Hollywood a time machine for all those P-90's and MP7's then.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hollywood pretty much gets away with whatever they want to. The law doesn't want them getting down on them any more than it does. And they are in bed together anyway, so they get away with it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Now I could be wrong but it looked like they.

We can't shoot this fast enough. let me wipe something up.

few hours latter.  Fully automatic revolver.

Not

We can't shoot this fast enough. let me wipe something up.

few months and a letter from the BATFE and some hours latter.  Fully automatic revolver.

Did anyone else's head blow up reading this?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:59:14 PM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
I guess somebody gave Hollywood a time machine for all those P-90's and MP7's then.

Airsoft.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
I watched that episode this evening and didn't even think of it, but HELL YEAH!
If it was the old .36 Colt Navy then they are probably OK.  I think even felons can own muzzleloaders and cap and ball pistols.  If it was the peacemaker then they were in violation of the law I'll bet.
I think I may have noticed a shoestring as well.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Ok I have the clip but it got recorded in DVD quality mode and I have to chop it down from 900+mb and section out the main clip.  I will see if I can get this done tomorrow, but I am done for the night.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:48:03 PM EDT
[#50]
tag for vid
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top