Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 10/27/2006 9:48:02 PM EDT
This compton standoff gets pretty crazy towards the 18 minute mark.
80 shots fired 22 hits
Compton standoff

**Edited to add**
poor K-9 dog
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Still watching.. This guy sounds like he was looking for suicide by cop. Yea, he was.. he's threatening to shoot everyone, and says he has a gun. In that case, what's the point of titling it "shoot an unarmed man"? That's suggesting that they know he's unarmed.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Should have shot him about 45 seconds into the video. Watching now, wating for the 18 minute mark to load.

ETA: they should have held on to the dog.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:55:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Someone who has audio and the time to sit and watch 22 min of video please tell me what happend
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:56:53 PM EDT
[#4]
only 3 minutes in and seems like a good shoot so far....

"I've got a gun.... Let that dog go and I'll shoot that dog!"

ETA: oh jesus, WHY DID I JUST WATCH THIS???
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:59:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Only 81 times?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Someone who has audio and the time to sit and watch 22 min of video please tell me what happend

"If da dawg bite me Imon shoot at chyall.'
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
It's easy to Monday morning quartyer back but they shouldn't have sent the dog in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

He hates dawgs and wansa tawk to the girl got hid baby inside er (Fawnda).

He ain't tossin a mutha fuckin thang.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Guy says he has a gun, wants to talk to his girlfriend before giving up.

Tell LEOs he will shoot them if they let the dog go.

Leos start shooting, it looks like the dog handler let go of the dog after the first shots were fired.

(the guy threw something down that may have been a gun)

The guy gets well ventilated.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to turn this into a police bashing thread but what the fuck!!!!!

That dog wasnt anywhere close to the guy when it was killed!!!!!!

But maybe I am just too much of a dog lover
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#12]
It sure didn't seem like he was shot 81 times.  Also, after all the shots were fired, you get the impression that shots were fired when they weren't supposed to be.  Otherwise, why would you send the dog in when you were planning to open fire?
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, I don't know if they wanted to fire.  There are officers cussing after the shooting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

High stress shoot on a slightly moving target from pistols at what looks to be 15 - 25 yards away. Add in that most ARFCOMers are probably better trained with handguns than most peace officers, and it's not very surprising they peppered the target instead of drilling a single hole.

Quoted:
Yeah, I don't know if they wanted to fire.  There are officers cussing after the shooting.

Probably for many reasons, like the report that will have to be filed, the mess at the scene, stress of the shoot, using it as a way to deal with the situation, but most importantly: I doubt any one of them wanted to shoot anyone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Poor dog
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:11:27 PM EDT
[#16]
So far I'm squinting at a dark screen trying to figure out whats happening. Kinda like watching the X-files.

Now I hear someone screaming ebonics gibberish.

ETA: fast foward to 18:00. WTF!!! JBTs shoot their own dog!?
A few minutes later, they move in and render aid to the dog first.

I've never worked with K-9 stuff before, but is it common practice to send the dog while you're shooting at him?

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:11:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Just saw the shooting...one of the cops made a unilateral decision to call it a night and opens with with an MG or SMG.  Completely sparys everything in about an 8 foot radius.1 badguy and 1 police dog get wasted.

Just rewatched the shoot. The cop fired first and didn't hit anything with the first several shots. The guy tosses something before he gets hit (could have been a gun). The firing continues after the badguy tosses the gun and continues after both the badguy is disarmed and the police dog moves into the field of fire.

Several police express intense frustration. One guy with an itchy trigger finger and terrible aim fucked this one up and bad.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:14:16 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

High stress shoot on a slightly moving target from pistols at what looks to be 15 - 25 yards away. Add in that most ARFCOMers are probably better trained with handguns than most peace officers, and it's not very surprising they peppered the target instead of drilling a single hole.

Quoted:

Probably for many reasons, like the report that will have to be filed, the mess at the scene, stress of the shoot, using it as a way to deal with the situation, but most importantly: I doubt any one of them wanted to shoot anyone.

Not an acceptable excuse for a police officer. Especially when they have the guy pinned and he says he has a gun.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:15:03 PM EDT
[#20]
5 minutes in, seems like suicide by cop to me.

Still pretty messed up that they don't use her to try to negotiate with him if she was there the whole time.

He is obviously uncooperative, and if they wanted to protect his life, they would have have attempted to negotiate with him.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:17:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Move up to about 18 minutes. This guy is talking alot of shit, but this goes bad for the cops in my opinion.

Also, after the guy is obviously severely wounded no one lifts a finger to secure the badguy or even check on his status, even though his legs are still moving. It almost seems like they want to let him go before they move in
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]

F'd up deal all the way around! (IMHO)

Stupid-ass dude gets shot ALONG with the Police dog.

Not that "Dude" didn't pass on any number of chances (Offered by the officers at the scene) to NOT get shot but holy-crap.....

'Dumb-ass was "stuck-on-stupid" (Over a Woman) and dealt with accordingly.

I feel sorry for him AND the Canine officer that was obviously injured in the vid'.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:21:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Once nice feature of Google Video is that you can grab the scroller and scroll over toward the end of the video and it'll start loading from that point.  Scroll to around the 19 min mark to see the "precision shooting" by LA's finest.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:22:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Move up to about 18 minutes. This guy is talking alot of shit, but this goes bad for the cops in my opinion.

He said he had a gun, dog is released , and he makes a move with something in his hand. It went bad because they shot their own dog. If the dog wasn't  killed it would have been fine.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:22:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also, after the guy is obviously severely wounded no one lifts a finger to secure the badguy or even check on his status, even though his legs are still moving. It almost seems like they want to let him go before they move in

Typically I'm the first to say not to shoot an unarmed man, but this guy is talking a pretty big game.  It's just a job.  If this guy really is wanted for life he has nothing to lose.

Thus, suicide by cop.

I'll watch the whole thing before I decide for sure though.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Googled the guys name and found this:

Deputies had responded to a domestic disturbance call where Deandre Brunston lived. Afraid for his life, Deandre, who was unarmed, jumped out of a second-story window and fled on foot. The deputies cornered him nearby, and handcuffed him. They then unleashed an attack dog on him, and began shooting. When it was over, Deandre had been shot a total of 22 times, and over 80 rounds of ammunition had been discharged from three police guns.

http://www.pww.org/article/view/7379/1/278/
He didn't appear handcuffed to me.

It's not like they didn't give him enough opportunities to give up and he did threaten to shoot everyone with his gun with "13 rounds".  It looked a lot like either suicide by cop or terminal stupidity.  My (worthless) opinion? Should have just let the dog go to start with.    
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Typically I'm the first to say not to shoot an unarmed man, but this guy is talking a pretty big game.  It's just a job.  If this guy really is wanted for life he has nothing to lose.

Thus, suicide by cop.

I gotta tell ya, this was a fuck up. You can even hear multiple cops expressing the same sentiment when the shooting stops.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:25:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Reading more up on this story the perp didnt have a gun.It was a flip flop that he found on the porch....
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#29]
K9! Tape rolling!

LoL

poor dog
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thus, suicide by cop.

I gotta tell ya, this was a fuck up. You can even hear multiple cops expressing the same sentiment when the shooting stops.

Kinda bullshit that they are continuing to escalate it when he is willing to negotiate.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:28:08 PM EDT
[#31]
thats so sad, that poor dog luckly it looked quick

Thing that suprized me was the bullets sparking off the door, i thought that was some movie type cliche
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:30:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Watching someone get gunned down like that does something to a person.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:31:38 PM EDT
[#33]
The video title is misleading liberal BS...81 shots fired...22 hits. (Damn, beaten while googling and typing)

K-9 =

One less scumbag =

27% hit rate =
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:32:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
This compton standoff gets pretty crazy towards the 18 minute mark.

Compton standoff

**Edited to add**
poor K-9 dog
Why you gotta bring that shit up dude?  I spent 4 hours in compton today getting my trailer loaded.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
The video title is misleading liberal BS...81 shots fired...22 hits. (Damn, beaten while googling and typing)

K-9 =

One less scumbag =

27% hit rate =

You know, they might have been aiming at the dog...they are cops after all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:34:59 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Not an acceptable excuse for a police officer. Especially when they have the guy pinned and he says he has a gun.

I'm not trying to create excuses, just noted what probably happened.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't care what the "details" are or what was said... LEOs going through hell and a K9 getting shot is a fucking waste... over what?  A thug?

Shoot the fucker the second he says something fishy.  Don't tape it... shoot him and drop a knife on him.  Done.  Tax dollars saved.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:35:30 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Watching someone the dog get gunned down like that does something to a person.

Fixed it
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:35:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow, that's all I'm saying.

I have to take the ACT in 6 hours, so I am not going to start something that will require 20 pages of bickering.

That said, I hope whoever pulled the trigger in the last moments of that man's life has this scenario replay in their mind every day until they die.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:38:57 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I don't care what the "details" are or what was said... LEOs going through hell and a K9 getting shot is a fucking waste... over what?  A thug?

Shoot the fucker the second he says something fishy.  Don't tape it... shoot him and drop a knife on him.  Done.  Tax dollars saved.

- BG

I agree.....some people just can not be saved and are too far gone.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:40:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Watching someone the dog get gunned down like that does something to a person.

Fixed it

My thoughts exactly. Fuck that thug . The country is a better place with low life's
like that dead.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:41:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Two observations:

The police failed to take any basic actions to slow this scene down and de-escalate the tension.  Lots of yelling back and forth, keeping the barking dogs front-and-center when clearly they were ramping the guy up, no attempt to cool the guy down at all.  Taunting the guy with the dogs told me the cops were up for a firefight.  

The shooting was a goat-rodeo.  Seemingly no command and control, no plan, no real fire discipline that I observed.  Every cop on the line opening up in a Wild West shoot-fest and the police dog gets it early.  The cursing from multiple cops was clearly realization that they had screwed up.  I suspect one cowboy opened up and everyone figured "good as a time as any" and joined in the melee.

The dead guy was probably a dirtbag.  That said - the entire insident could have been handled MUCH better.  

I predict the cops will pay out big bucks in the lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:42:27 PM EDT
[#43]
Watching the tape again, I'm just sick.  

That poor dog.   That poor officer had to lose his dog... over what?  A fucking street urchin?

Christ, this country is going to shit.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Two observations:

The police failed to take any basic actions to slow this scene down and de-escalate the tension.  Lots of yelling back and forth, keeping the barking dogs fron-and-center when clearly they were ramping the guy up, no attempt to cool the guy down at all.  Taunting the guy with the dogs told me the cops were up for a firefight.  

The shooting was a goat-rodeo.  Seemingly no command and control, no plan, no real fire discipling that I observed.  Every cop on the line opening up in a Wild West shoot-fest and the police dog gets it early.  The cursing from multiple cops was clearly realization that they had screwed up.  I suspect one cowboy opened up and everyone figured "good as a time as any" and joined in the melee.

Maybe they should have gotten him a pizza or something.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:45:44 PM EDT
[#45]

The shooting was a goat-rodeo . Seemingly no command and control, no plan, no real fire discipling that I observed. Every cop on the line opening up in a Wild West shoot-fest and the police dog gets it early. The cursing from multiple cops was clearly realization that they had screwed up. I suspect one cowboy opened up and everyone figured "good as a time as any" and joined in the melee.

+1
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two observations:

The police failed to take any basic actions to slow this scene down and de-escalate the tension.  Lots of yelling back and forth, keeping the barking dogs fron-and-center when clearly they were ramping the guy up, no attempt to cool the guy down at all.  Taunting the guy with the dogs told me the cops were up for a firefight.  

The shooting was a goat-rodeo.  Seemingly no command and control, no plan, no real fire discipling that I observed.  Every cop on the line opening up in a Wild West shoot-fest and the police dog gets it early.  The cursing from multiple cops was clearly realization that they had screwed up.  I suspect one cowboy opened up and everyone figured "good as a time as any" and joined in the melee.

Well, they could have stopped shooting when the dude dropped what he was holding.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:50:19 PM EDT
[#47]
or that sheeple should have been smart and not done what got him into that 20 in the first place..

too bad for the dog.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:50:38 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two observations:

Well, they could have stopped shooting when the dude dropped what he was holding.

In a perfect world maybe, but in real life things sometimes work differently in a fire fight
situation.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:53:28 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Two observations:

Bullshit.   Bastard should have been eating lead 20 seconds into the film.  No dog, no begging... just a few taps on the trigger and a hose to clean up the mess.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 10:54:07 PM EDT
[#50]
I feel bad for the dog, and I'm not even a dog person, but the dog doesn't know anything.  They appeared to shoot just as the dog was released, which was a major fuck up and totally unnecessary.  The dog should've been removed from the option of letting him loose when the guy claimed to have a gun.  You don't know?  Then opt for a different plan.  A flash-bang tossed his direction would have worked wonders.  Same goes for a couple bean-bag rounds to see if he's indeed armed.

These clowns expected him to shoot a gun when the dog was released, so they shot him AS the dog was released.

I don't give a shit who you are or how good a shot you think you might be.  Get into a stressful situation and you aren't gonna get IDPA groups.    You think you'd be comfortable shooting at someone while letting your dog attack them and not hit the dog in the process?  Come on.

Btw, I can't believe I'm seeing people giving a shit over this assholes murder.  You feel bad watching him get shot?  Fuck him.  Maybe I'm just different, but you get what you ask for and seeing trash like this die doesn't phase me a bit.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top