Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/24/2006 5:59:57 PM EDT
My Labs were spayed today. They are both home now and doing well. However, they are sleeping  and they have been for the last 4 hours with little activity. FYI, they both threw up when they got home and won't eat.
Question, "Is this normal"?
What can we expect the next few days as far as behavior?
Thanks,
cc
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#1]
barfing is normal.
If they aren't eating by morning call the vet.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:09:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.
OK, update: they've nibbled on some bacon treats for dogs. That's it.
But, at least they ARE eating something.
They are still wanting to sleep and "be left the F*CK alone"!
I'll let "a sleeping dog lie".
cc
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
They will be sluggish for several hours due to the drugs.  Just have food out during the night in case they get hungry.  Labs are notorious for eating copius amounts of food so be carfeull how much you leave out.  Once they start eating again resume regular feeding schedule.  They will be back to normal in a day or so.  Be carfeul of the wound area and follow the vets instructions.  If anything seems out of the ordinary call the vet. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Our pooch acted the same way after getting spayed.

The local vet recommended a special diet of boiled and rice for a couple of days.  It's a very easy diet for the dog's digestive system and they'll eat it up.

Keep them away from the rich, hard-to-digest foods like canned dog food, etc.  It won't do them any favors.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#5]
can i ask why you spayed 5 month old pups???

i've been dogging professionally almost my entire life and wouldnt consider a spay or neuter job until after 1-2 years of age..

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:50:35 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
can i ask why you spayed 5 month old pups???

i've been dogging professionally almost my entire life and wouldnt consider a spay or neuter job until after 1-2 years of age..

My vet told me it was better to get it done earlier.  My pup got neutered at about 4 months.  
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 8:59:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah ive never heard of waiting for 1-2 yrs to get fixed. Get it done young and get it over with. Age sounds right to me. Theyll probably moap around for a couple days but will be fine. As long as they eat a little.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:09:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeas.. I got the "WTF?" attitude for a day or so from my pups. My female took it the hardest. She was antisocial for a week.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:03:30 AM EDT
[#9]
UPDATE:
This morning, they are fine. Wagging tails, up and going outside to do dog business.
Eating good too.
I am supposed to keep them in their pen today.

Also, the reason I had them spayed at 5 months is it was my Vet's advice AND they already started to "hump" one another, a possible sign? hmmmm

Anyway, thanks to all for advice and answering my questions after the Vet's office closed for the day.
cc
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 5:15:21 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
UPDATE:
This morning, they are fine. Wagging tails, up and going outside to do dog business.
Eating good too.
I am supposed to keep them in their pen today.

Also, the reason I had them spayed at 5 months is it was my Vet's advice AND they already started to "hump" one another, a possible sign? hmmmm

Anyway, thanks to all for advice and answering my questions after the Vet's office closed for the day.
cc

My pup was fine out the kennel I had to just watch him and make sure he didn't get too wild or mess with the stitches.  My pup still humps things from time to time.  
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 5:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
the problem is spaying or neutering at such an early age is that they never have a chance to get the hormones that they will need for normal physical well being. remember they have to have enough built up in their bodies to last the rest of their lifetimes..

testosterone and estrogens are needed for a wide variety of health reasons.

the lists is long..and varied.

some vets are hell bent on early action due to 2 reasons primarily..

1- so they can perform the surgery..and you wont go elsewhere
2- population control

i own a national veterinary reference laboratory and test for the "health" problems releted to hormone issues daily..many of which would have been completely nonexistant if the owners had waited till the dog was physically mature before the S/N job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top