Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 11:50:02 PM EDT
Well there I was running through the damp grass after the bad guy. The bad guy jumped over the fence and I felt compelled to follow (big mistake). I crested the top and my left foot slipped on the rain soaked wood. I landed with all my weight on my right leg, however I wasn't upright. My hips were rotated and I was In the "flap your arms to get your balance" position. I heard a CRACK and stood up and began to run again only to hear a little voice in my head say, "Dave, your in really bad pain. Maybe you should just lie face down here in the mud until people with good drugs arrive." Well I fell face first into the mud in terrible pain. The nice ambulance people came and took me to the hospital where it was determined that I had dislocated the hip, and shattered the joint (I didn't understand either, but that's what the doc said). They put me out and relocated my hip. Surgery was scheduled the next day. Thank GOD they don't treat people as they do horses in these situations. Well the surgen is the same one who does all the Indy 500 drivers who crash so I was in good hands. I left surgery with 17 screws and 2 plates of permenant rememberance of the fine doctor's work. I am not supposed to bend the joint or put any weight on it at all. The doc said 12 weeks to recup. I should have full use of the joint after some rehab, or very little after effects!! Luckily I have GREAT friends who offered to let me stay at their home and recup. I only hope everyone has friends such as these!

Things I've learned....

Dont jump over fences
When you think you must jump over a fence, don't slip
when you slip after jumping the fence try to land on both feet
When you don't land on both feet and hear a "crack" don't try to run again
When you do try to run again and realize you can't don't fall face firts in the mud
When you do fall face first in the mud make sure your wearing clean underwear because your going to the hospital!

Oh, and dial-up is sooo slow!

Actually a little prayer would be much appreciated, or you could send money to the Dave H Motorcycle Fund, email for the address :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:01:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on the recovery......

I broke a knee cap in a foot chase, I was able to get up and keep the chase going.....He ran right into one of my partners.

I also broke a leg in high school. Gee what was that loud snappins sound?? Why is my foot turned 45 degrees to the outside?? Very few after effects from that. They put me out to set it. Now they say they would put rods or pins in a similar fracture. No real bad effects from that tho'

Take the physical therapy serious. It can help a great deal.

Good luck
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 2:09:24 AM EDT
[#2]
"Dave, your in really bad pain. Maybe you should just lie face down here in the mud until people with good drugs arrive." Well I fell face first into the mud in terrible pain."

Yowwwh...  Aren't those minutes waiting for rescue just TOO much fun?  Only thing that makes it even MORE fun is thinking, "Is today my day to die?".

Of course lying in the ambulance while the EMT dumps a couple of bottles of iodine on you to wash the sand and blood off is almost as much fun.

Best of luck on the recovery!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
It did seem like forever before they got there, but in reality it was probably no more than 2-3 minutes. I forgave them because they brought Morphine.

I really must say that today's happenings and the loses some are experiencing make my problems seem irrelevant, and they are. I pray that everyone who is working on rescue and recovery is being watched over, and those who have lost loved ones will be taken care of by a HIGHER BEING.

God bless them!
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you ever want to be "treated" like a horse let me know because my father is/was a hell of a vet and he specialized in horses [:D]

Seriously, Good luck on your recovery.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Welcome back!
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:03:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Welcome Back. Sorry about your spill.

Now lay still and take your meds [:)]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:12:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Good Luck!
Looks like you'll have plenty of time to cruise AR15.com for a while!
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a paper cut one time while writing a guy a ticket. It was a bitch. It coulda gotten infected.

Just kidding. Sorry to hear about your hip. An old girlfriend of mine messed hers up real bad like that. And a girlfriend with a damaged hip is not a very useful girlfriend,,, think about it :(

Anyway, good luck with the recovery.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Good to have you back.

Speedy recovery friend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 8:11:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:09:30 AM EDT
[#11]
That's why I don't chase gazelles over fences.  They make it over those fences like injured deer do.  I had a chase last week and he led me to the dead end area of a townhome complex.  He was out of the car and leaping on the ac unit in a single bound.  Luckily he slipped on the ac unit and busted some serious ass.  I thought I had him then and he made it up from the ground and back over that fence in less than 2 seconds.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 10:36:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Last year chasing a criminal I fell and ended up with a class 3 a/c seperation. It sidelined me for 4 weeks (supposed to be 8) and left me with the neatest big assed bump, actually my collarbone trying to poke thru my skin. My Corp. says thats what they make cars for, asshole. Stay safe and good luck on the recovery.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top