Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/3/2006 6:43:58 PM EDT
I decided to revisit history an rent this 21-year-old series from Netfix.

I haven't seen this in years!

Any fans here?

Nothin' like an F-14 that can fly through space, carry impossibly heavy payloads at supersonic speeds, and transform into a giant freakin' robot...
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:46:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I always wanted my own giant transforming robot. BTW I heard a new series is being made that picks up right where the third series left off.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm an old school fan of Macross.

If you watch it again and like what you see come visit us at Macross World Forums. I'm a mod there, it's a great place for talk about Macross. Heh, we even have a weapons banter thread going with a good deal of AR talk.

Many Macross fans = AR owners.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I remember that...

Lynn Minmay was it?

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:52:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Heck ya! Macross rocks. Great series.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:56:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya think???

Made this when I was 13 or so. Yeah I was/am a dork.

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I was a big fan as a kid
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:01:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Go Rick Hunter!

My college dorm-mate loaned me the ENTIRE Macross and Robotech set in the week before finals one year, and I got no studying at all done, but lived like a hermit watching the entire thing in one giant marathon!

I was such a dork, I even had a cool robotech T-shirt!  
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#8]
This was my all time favorite version
www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93
No english dub, but It's the best picture quality.  

The new English version by ADVfilms is ok.  The colors aren't as good.  Everyone screams a lot.  If your watching that one make sure you view the Mari Iijima interview
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:02:14 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Go Rick Hayes!

My college dorm-mate loaned me the ENTIRE Macross and Robotech set in the week before finals one year, and I got no studying at all done, but lived like a hermit watching the entire thing in one giant marathon!

I was so sad when Roy died.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep yep. You guys know they are doing a Movie called The Shadow Chronicles to be released next year?
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:02:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeh, I was a fan too, though having been a reader of "serious" science fiction for a long time I wasn't as off-the-edge as some of my younger friends were. I still find the animation style fun to watch, along with "Space Cruiser Yamato" (re-edited and released over here as "Star Blazers"). Hai-- otaku-des'.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, I hear ya!

I rented 20+ discs, too bad they're sending them to me 2 at a time...

I normally hate Anime but, this is the only series I watch.

I just might have to try more of it if I enjoy this as much as I did back then (I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it).

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm a huge fan.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:04:55 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go Rick Hayes!

Dammit - you caught my typo/error.

After I typed it, I realized Rick's name was Hunter, and the caucasion brunette commander chick was Lisa Hayes.

I am so embarassed at my anime-faux pas, I will immediately commit seppuku
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Gen 1 = Roxor
Gen 2 / 3 = V for Vendetta Bad, wait it can't be that bad.

Also, I'd way rather hit Lisa Hayes then Minmei or Lynn or whatever that hookers name was.

Also Max Sterling was a pimp... ohh yah... smell that alien Zentraedi poontang... yah you like that... fap fap fap.

To summarize, between Robotech and Voltron (both popular childrens shows in Honolulu when I was growing up) I love that alien poontang.  Wait... I mean... umm... something else...

Oh hey, when you get to the episode where the Zentraedi board the SDF-1 through the arm.  That was the shit!

Seriously, what a great kids show.

-G
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to like watching Robotech when it would come on, but I was young and didn't really ever understand it.  Also they moved the time the show came on frequently, so I could never be consistent in the story line.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:08:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go Rick Hayes!

No shit, that fucked up my 9 yr old mind.  It's no wonder I joined up, to revenge Roy's death. -G

EDIT:

Lynn Kyle

Kyle is the cousin of Lynn Minmei, the famous singer from the flight of the SDF-1. After her return to Earth, Kyle assumed management of her career. He harbours a sincere love for Lynn Minmei, but has difficulty expressing his emotions.

Kyle dislikes violence and is very active in the peace movement. His disdain for the military reflects in his actions and words, and he constantly takes verbal shots at the military system. Kyle finds it easier to blame the difficulties in his own life on the horrors of the war, and he blames the military for the war.

Kyle is a borderline alcoholic with a short temper. He is often prone to self-pity and tends to have an abrasive attitude towards others. Despite his dislike of violence, he is an expert in martial arts and fighting.

Holy shit!  They touched on libtards in space too.  No wonder I hate hippies. -G
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I was buying the boxed sets at Suncoast. Ive got 5 sets with DVDs which are 1-10 plus an extras DVD per set.

I had a crapload of the models I assembled growin up but they disappeared long ago. I had quite a few of the Veritech jets assembled, including Roys white w/black stabs Jolly Roger.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:26:59 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I was buying the boxed sets at Suncoast. Ive got 5 sets with DVDs which are 1-10 plus an extras DVD per set.

I had a crapload of the models I assembled growin up but they disappeared long ago. I had quite a few of the Veritech jets assembled, including Roys white w/black stabs Jolly Roger.

Got the whole set right after they came out.  I remember waking up at the crack of dawn to watch 'em when I was a kid.  Good stuff
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 7:39:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Ah! Minmay!

God!  I so wanted to bitchslap Hikaru Ichijyo!

My best friend is really into anime.  He lent me his copies of the orginal Macross and Macross Zero.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 8:07:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I rea the comics and have only seen a few of the shows/movies.

I LOVE the design of their plane, though! Robot tech was ripped off blatently of the Battletech game here in the US.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I liked it cause I got to see battlemechs in action...

I LOVE the design of their plane, though! Robot tech was ripped off blatently of the Battletech game here in the US.

Otherway around unfortunately I believe.
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I liked it cause I got to see battlemechs in action...

Otherway around unfortunately I believe.

YUP robotech was first...battletech stole a few designs from robotech/macross
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:00:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I'm an old school fan of Macross.

If you watch it again and like what you see come visit us at Macross World Forums. I'm a mod there, it's a great place for talk about Macross. Heh, we even have a weapons banter thread going with a good deal of AR talk.

Many Macross fans = AR owners.

Good to see you, JsARC. (Cdr Fokker here). Was wondering when I'd run into some other MWers here on ARFCOM.

ETA - Fuck Rowboatech. Macross all the way.

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I loved the REF (Robotech Expeditionary Force) stuff.

Cyclones are the shit!

Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#26]
I just like Minmay
Link Posted: 10/3/2006 9:18:06 PM EDT
[#27]
Protoculture.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 12:26:11 PM EDT
[#28]
This was one of the best things to happen to me growing up.

That and airsoft. And an Irish girl named Megan
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 12:27:37 PM EDT
[#29]
I am a BIG fan of Robotech! I have them all on DVD and quite a few of the robots too. I have a large shelf full of robots, and the Macross/Southern Cross/Mospaeda ones are front-and-center.

Great concept, everything. They really nailed it with that show. I have one of the original Japanese manga/cel art books from the show.

It started a fascination with Japanese animation, manga and culture that I have to this day. There is a Japanese import place not one block from my old house that I didn't visit often enough, but did get to once or twice a year just to pick up a well-illustrated manga book or three.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#30]
I used to love it when i was a kid.

-K
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go Rick Hayes!

After I typed it, I realized Rick's name was Hunter, and the caucasion brunette commander chick was Lisa Hayes.

Umm there's no Rick Hayes it's Rick Hunter in Robotech and Hikaru Ichijo in Macross
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go Rick Hayes!

Umm there's no Rick Hayes it's Rick Hunter in Robotech and Hikaru Ichijo in Macross

Did you not read what you just quoted?  

Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#33]

PM me if you want a version of this big enough to use as a desktop.

Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:31:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the original Robotech series on DVD .

IIRC ,the new chapter in the saga is called:

Robotech ,The Dark Chronicles .

The biggest problems for them so far has been
fighting over copyright issues ,and them re-making
the $$$$ they lost in the legal fights before even
getting to the new series !

Another problem is the more adult activities of the cast
not being compatable with a modern US audience .
(Smoking,Drinking,Gambling )
Also IIRC ,Mark Hamil (Luke Skywalker) is one of the
voice actors for the series.

I've been waiting for aaround 2 years for the release this winter !

Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#35]

For the folks who wanted this as a desktop.

Also, my favorite mecha in Robotech/Macross is the Glaug officer pod. It's known as the Marauder in the Battletech game.

Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:39:14 PM EDT
[#36]
If you guys have PS2s, there are two Robotech video games out that are kind of cool.

They're cartoony and don't take true advantage of the PS2's graphics hardware, but it's still fun to get around in a Valkyrie!
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:45:24 PM EDT
[#37]
Thanks Swindle1984.  That is a great picture to use as a background.  I'm going to have to email it to my bestfriend as he's a big Macross fan.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:49:19 PM EDT
[#38]
I've been out of this for a long time and I've got a question...

I'm renting the 14 disc Robotech series as well as 2 disc Macross Plus and the 6 disc macross series.

Are the episodes on the 6 disc macross series contained on the 14 discs I'm already getting?

www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=60024585&trkid=90529
www.netflix.com/MovieDisplay?movieid=70044513&trkid=90529
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Robotech is comprised of three unrelated anime series combined into one: Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. There are other Macross series that continue where the first one left off or are in similar but unreleated universes.

If it's the original Macross, then yes, the episodes are the same as the first third of Robotech, although I'm sure there are differences in dialogue (character names, the story is slightly different, etc.).
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's safe to say Robotech and the Original Macross were among the reasons I wanted to be a pilot when I was younger.  I was too young to really understand the story, but damn those Valks were cool.

Check out HobbyLink Japan for those of you who build/collect scale models, the Hasegawa Macross series is pretty sweet, but small (1/72 scale), and the 1/48 scale Yamato transformable Valkyries are awesome but expensive.

HobbyLink Japan
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Yeah, I hear ya!

I rented 20+ discs, too bad they're sending them to me 2 at a time...

I normally hate Anime but, this is the only series I watch.

I just might have to try more of it if I enjoy this as much as I did back then (I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy it).

img132.imageshack.us/img132/7420/macrossplusiu6.jpg

I used to have that as my wallpaper
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 3:24:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Robotech is comprised of three unrelated anime series combined into one: Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada. There are other Macross series that continue where the first one left off or are in similar but unreleated universes.

If it's the original Macross, then yes, the episodes are the same as the first third of Robotech, although I'm sure there are differences in dialogue (character names, the story is slightly different, etc.).

I think Lisa was named Misa in Macross

from what I've watched, the artwork/animation of Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada is the same as generation 2 and 3 of Robotech but plot, dialog, character names are all different as they're unrelated shows
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 4:46:11 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Good to see you, JsARC. (Cdr Fokker here). Was wondering when I'd run into some other MWers here on ARFCOM.

There are a lot of us here on ARFcom, I think I'm the only one who uses the same name in both places though.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Man, I used to love that show.  4pm weekdays was Robotech time when I was in 5th/6th/7th grade.  Man, I was pissed when Roy died.  And Minmay was a bitch - Lisa was way hotter

I bought the first generation years ago on VHS from Suncoast.  I would buy a tape or two every payday until I had them all.  Ahh, the memories....

Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:17:17 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Lisa was named Misa in Macross

from what I've watched, the artwork/animation of Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mospeada is the same as generation 2 and 3 of Robotech but plot, dialog, character names are all different as they're unrelated shows

That's what I just said.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:17:21 PM EDT
[#47]
I loved Macross Plus.  The Movie Edition and the separate 3-episode mini-series.

The plot themes and technology were clairvoyant and are applicable in our current era.
-AI controlled air/spacecraft vs. human pilots
-2 competing prototype fighters with two competing pilots.

the yf-21 that used the pilots brain to control the aircraft was bad-ass.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:31:52 PM EDT
[#48]
I still have Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do you remember love on VHS.  I should borrow a VCR and watch it again.  The Macross movie looks alot better then the TV series did.  An interesting difference from the original film from the 70's was that the Zentraedi were divided between male and female factions who constantly warred against each other.

Still have'nt seen Macross 7 or Macross Zero yet.  I would have to hunt for imports no doubt.  Macross 7 seems to be more musical then action, but Zero should be a treat to see.

Macross Plus is one of the coolest Anime's i've ever seen.  Its too bad there are'nt more like it.  Never really cared much for any other Mech themed Anime though.  Gundam was overated IMO.

I would beat up a Japanese kid if i could play a Veritech sim.  The arcade console games blew.

Heres to eating big dead fish.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:44:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I still have Super Dimensional Fortress Macross: Do you remember love on VHS.  I should borrow a VCR and watch it again.  The Macross movie looks alot better then the TV series did.  An interesting difference from the original film from the 70's was that the Zentraedi were divided between male and female factions who constantly warred against each other.

Still have'nt seen Macross 7 or Macross Zero yet.  I would have to hunt for imports no doubt.  Macross 7 seems to be more musical then action, but Zero should be a treat to see.

Macross Plus is one of the coolest Anime's i've ever seen.  Its too bad there are'nt more like it.  Never really cared much for any other Mech themed Anime though.  Gundam was overated IMO.

I would beat up a Japanese kid if i could play a Veritech sim.  The arcade console games blew.

Heres to eating big dead fish.

Macross isn't that old - it's 80's (SDFM - 1982, DYRL - 1984).

Also, do you have a true copy of DYRL, or one of the shitty chopped versions like the infamous "Clash of the Bionoids"? Every anime fan needs a good copy of DYRL. It's animation still holds up well despite its age.
Link Posted: 10/4/2006 5:54:15 PM EDT
[#50]

Cant find a good one of Mira.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top