Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2001 2:51:41 PM EDT
 With all of the outrageous laws that are enacted in this state;is it possible to obtain a C&R?

Alex [:\]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
99.99999% sure the answer is [b]NO[/b]

Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Legally?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:21:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Umm, I don't think that there would be such a thing as an illegal C&R. Like you have one or you don't type of thing.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes you can have a C&R FFL in CA. Have known quite a few with one when I was living there. One of which got his Nov. of last year. However if you live in LA or SF counties, I think you can pretty much forget it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:40:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't say 100% now did I. lol.  .00001% hehe.
My bad.  I remember hearing people here say something to that effect, but I guess I mis-understood.  Sorry.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 3:46:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
lordtrader, why would there be a problem getting a C&R in LA or SF counties? You don't need permission, all you need to do is fulfill the federal requirement to notify the head of your local police agency. No action is required on their part.

View Quote

I had just heard thru the grapevine that those counties give you a lot of crap when you have one. You get inspected more often than not. I am basing it on hearsay.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:02:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks.
Okay, so I live in CoCo county. Would I send the type 03 ffl to my local police chief or to the CoCo county chief sheriff.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:10:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Chief of police or county sheriff, it doesn't matter.  I dropped mine off at the local sheriff's substation.  I'm not aware that KA DOJ necessarily even knows you have a C&R license, unless your chief leo happens to tell them.

C&R's are good in the PRK for mail order direct to your home only for long guns 50 years & older; long guns on the atf's list less than 50 years old still go through a class-1 dealer, as do handguns.

To my knowledge, PRK does not inspect the premesis or bound book of a class-3 licensee. BATF has the right to one inspection a year, notification to you in advance, your place or theirs, your choice.  In the 15 or so years I've had my -03 in both TX & the PRK, I can think of only hearing about 3 or 4 atf inspections (knock wood). One was my neighbor, he did it at the BATF in Dallas; in & out in 30 minutes.  Inspector was only interested in completeness of his bound book. This is a guy with around 150 C&R guns at the time of the inspection.

Alex, if you need more info, send me an e-mail.

hanko
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
here in Alabama,the city police say,since the application ask what county you live in,the sheriff has to sign it.no biggie here,still a lot of "good ole boys" as sheriff.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
To my knowledge, PRK does not inspect the premesis or bound book of a class-3 licensee. BATF has the right to one inspection a year, notification to you in advance, your place or theirs, your choice.  
View Quote

This is the ONLY thing that's keeping me from applying for my C&R license - bit afraid of what exactly an "inspection" would entail.  Can someone explain also what benefits would be in obtaining a COE?
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 4:33:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
here in Alabama,the city police say,since the application ask what county you live in,the sheriff has to sign it.no biggie here,still a lot of "good ole boys" as sheriff.
View Quote

I was just at [url]www.cruffler.com[/url] and they state that you do not need the CLEO's signature,only that you need to present them with documentation.

Hanko, thanks, I'll E-mail you if I have any questions.

Alex
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#15]
A COE will allow you to bypass the waiting period on C&R firearms (including handguns) when purchasing from a California dealer.  It also exempts you from the "one handgun a month" law for any handguns, not just C&R.  Whether or not it is worth it depends on what your buying habits will be.  The initial year will cost you $75.00 and renewals are $13.00 a year.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:31:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Xsquid, inspection entails only checking the entries in what atf calls your 'bound book'...that's where you log the acquisition of c&r weapons and their disposition (if you get rid of them for some reason.  It's a listing of date/model/mfr/sn, and name of person you gave/sold it to, if that applies. Again, it's your choice if the inspection happens at your place or an atf office.  It's a LOT different than an inspection for a class-1 ffl.

COE basically says that PRK has checked your background & found that you're OK to buy a gun.  Having one allows you to bypass the check at time of purchase. $70 & two sets of full prints (finger/palm) & hurry up & wait. I think, but I'm not sure, that it also might get you out of the one-a-month rule...I'd double-check that.

Alex, CLEO does not sign C&R application...it's an advice copy to them only.  You can mail it in or drop-off in person.  I'm in an unincorporated town, so it goes to the local sheriff's office.

Ignoring a hell of a lot of neat guns you can get, Brownells, Midway, and a bunch of others will give you discounts that will pay off your $30 real fast.

hanko
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#17]
EOD_Guy, Hanko - big thanks for the info.  I may just put my app in for both the C&R and COE.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Im kinda glad I dont live in CA, I just sent in my app for a C&R a few weeks ago.  All I had to do was fill out the form, answers a few yes/no questions, attach $30, and send a copy to my local CLEO, and the ATF in Texas.

The license is good for 3 years, and I believe it allows me to buy any Firearm on the AFT list then have it sent directly to me, not a FFL.  But I could be wrong, seeing how I have not got all the documentation yet explaining the proper procedures.

I have my eye on a Colt 1927 Systema, a prewar 1991a1 made under contract in Argentina.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 8:40:28 PM EDT
[#19]
SM, no disagreement...when I was in TX, I did just what you did.

Application process is same here in CA, as you're applying to the feds & PRK DOJ has nothing to say as to controlling an 03 license.

License does alloy you to have anything on the atf C&R list sent directly to you; in addition, anything not specifically on the list is C&R eligible if it's 50 years old or older.

PRK screws you over by requiring anything less than 50 years old & all c&r handguns to go through an ffl.  Life was a lot nicer in N TX, in that respect.

Systemas are a hell of a deal & you won't/cannot go wrong with one, either original or arsenal refinished.  Also suggest you check out a CZ-52 or 2...a super gun for under $200. Biggest issue for me once I got the license was keeping credit cards in my pocket & me off the phone. You will have a ball!!

Hanko, who's got about 9 more months in PRK.

Link Posted: 9/11/2001 12:42:49 AM EDT
[#20]
I never really did quite understand the COE deal. There is very little information on the CA DOJ web site. Where can one get the skinny?

Regarding the C&R, I just sent a copy to the local Chief of Police and 5 weeks later the license arrived. Now I'm in Mauser heaven. :)
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#21]
hanko,
One of my co-workers also suggested a CZ52, so I have kind of looked it to that.  

I know the 7.62X25 can be bought somewhat cheaply in surplus.  But typically I like to stick with calibers I can find ammo for easily.  So if for some odd reason if I cant pick up surplus, god forbid, theres always WalMart.

I know the CZ52s can also be gotten in 9mm, but I dont think those are on the C&R list.  And Im not sure if they are 9x19 or 9x18.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for all of the info guys.

What is a COE?

Alex
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:52:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I know the CZ52s can also be gotten in 9mm, but I dont think those are on the C&R list.  And Im not sure if they are 9x19 or 9x18.
View Quote

The CZ52's that are rebarreled are 9x19's... you can also get aftermarket barrels that are 9x19.  Those aftermarket barrels only run 70 or 80 bux.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 5:56:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Mattja, you have to call the DOJ (it's a 916 ac number & it's on the  DOJ website).  They'll mail you the application & 2 fingerprint cards. You mail it all back with $70 & you're apparently good to go, assuming you can find a ffl that knows what the fvck a COE is in the first place.

SM, CZ-52's can be converted (legally, too) after you get one.  All it takes is a 9mm (para) barrel.  You can switch back & forth with the 7.62x25.  Some say 9mm is not C&R in a CZ-52, some say it is.  I bought a cherry one in 9mm from Dennis Kroh (www.empirearms.com) & he shipped it as a curio.  Not a BHP, but a neat gun in its own right.

hanko
Link Posted: 9/12/2001 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top