Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/8/2001 9:46:32 AM EDT
I'd like to know from you guys out there where is a good place to hunt in IL. I live in central IL and I was thinking of going deer hunting this year but there are a few thinks I need to know.

1. What kind of gun can you use?
2. Do you have to pay any money how much is it and where do you pay it?
3. If you can use a gun what type of ammo should I use.

This is my first time hunting in IL most of the time I go down south where I don't have to worry about this crap. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.egovonline.org/KTIbody/Deerpermit/DeerPermitHome.htm[/url]

Go to the site and explore. You will be able to choose, county or conservation area with drop-down menus.

Permit is by lottery drawing. Different drawings for bow and shotgun.
As far as guns...I can't remember if handguns are allowed, but of course rifles are verboten.

Edited because I just remembered there is a blackpowder rifle season. I think it's a seperate date from the shotgun dates.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#2]
You are not allowed to onw GUN`S in IL.
If you have one you had better turn it in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#3]
You are only allowed to use shotguns in Illinois.

In Illinois most of the land is owned privately, unlike several other states where the state owns a lot of the land.  If you want a good place to hunt you have to ask around and find a nice farmer.  Typically if you help them out in some way they will be more than happy to let you hunt.

My parents live in Illinois and typically have people come in and hunt but they are very picky about who they let in.  If you are clean cut, polite, and helpful you shouldn't have a problem finding a place to hunt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 4:50:21 PM EDT
[#4]
0. I suggest the woods around Golf Road and Harms Road, just across the Edens from Skokie.
1. Anything you want.  I recommend a .22LR pistol with a silencer.
2. Only if you get caught.  No idea how much.
3. Subsonic works best.

The hunting is actually better as you get a little further north on the bike trail.  The tick-infested vermin will walk right up to you expecting a handout.  Bring carrots, they like those.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:31:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The hunting is actually better as you get a little further north on the bike trail. The tick-infested vermin will walk right up to you expecting a handout. Bring carrots, they like those.
View Quote

[:)]

Just drive down the interstate highway in southern Illinois about dawn and pick up a nice one that has been hit by a truck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't live in IL, but it is one of the top rated states for trophy whitetails in the U.S. If you have to use a shotgun and can afford to get one of the new dedicated slug guns with some of the new Winchster slugs and a scope you should be able to shoot out to at least 100 yds. with no problem and probably farther.

Good luck, and e-mail me if you have any questions, deer season starts here in 23 days, 1 hour and 24 minutes and I won't be hanging around here in my spare time.
[size=6]B[/size=6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top