Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2001 1:42:28 AM EDT
Please tell me, IYHO, who makes the best post ban type muzzle break?

Also, what are the different methods of attaching a muzzle break if the barrel is not threaded?  And what is the best method (assume a Postban Colt HBAR)?

Thanks!
-Red-
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:33:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
bite the bullet and thread the barrel...anything else is gonna be hoeky...

Check with Ed @ Gunsmoke or we can do it....

View Quote

Yeah, that would be nice and ILLEGAL.  If you're going to do that, might as well thread the barrel, pay 200 bucks, and shorten down to SBR size.  At least that way it will LOOK legal with papers.  Or you could be like me and...just not care.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
bite the bullet and thread the barrel...anything else is gonna be hoeky...

Check with Ed @ Gunsmoke or we can do it....

View Quote

Yeah, that would be nice and ILLEGAL.  If you're going to do that, might as well thread the barrel, pay 200 bucks, and shorten down to SBR size.  At least that way it will LOOK legal with papers.  Or you could be like me and...just not care.
View Quote

Not true. GO was refering to a permenantly pinned brake on a threaded barrel, perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:55:05 PM EDT
[#4]
If you did have the barrel threaded on a post ban you would obviously have to make it PERMANENTLY attached.  Have it welded or silver soldered on.  Making sure whatever method you choose is legal.  

To help in your question, all I can offer with personal experience it the Bushmaster mini Y-comp.  It is very effective on a light weight carbine for reducing recoil and muzzle climb but is VERY loud!!  Personally I would not put a break on an HBAR, I just don't think the money and tradeoff is worth it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 6:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Just making sure it was permanent, and not a loose-threaded design.  Go ahead and thread the barrel then.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Almost forgot, I'd recommend the Cavalry Arms Cav Comp or the Wilson Combat Tac Brake. I've tried most of what's on the market at one time or another and these are the brands I currently own. Neither is anywhere near as loud as a Y Comp, they look great too!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:04:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I would put a BRAKE on it. A break will affect your accuracy and possibly spew hot gas on the guy standing next to you.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just making sure it was permanent, and not a loose-threaded design.  Go ahead and thread the barrel then.
View Quote

Right, it has to be permanent. No simple screw off muzzle brakes on a postban! Man this law makes us safer...[:(]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Not that I have one or personally used one; I've been recommended the AK74 break. From what I've read it works well with recoil. Bushmaster posts
Reduces Felt Recoil 70% - Reduces Muzzle Climb 90%
View Quote
. Seen most of the others but haven't used them for several reasons. For one they cause the sound to be projected rearward and to the sides making it either louder for you or the people around. And b/c I was told that it will effect accuracy (don't know how much or if true). The reason explained to me was that the gas exiting via the muzzle at the exact point the bullet is leaving are relatively equal on all sides with nothing in the end of the barrel. With a compensator which has different points of exit for the gases it might cause the bullet to veer left, right, up, down, slightly effecting accuracy since the gases are unequal. Again this is what I was tol and how it was explained to me. If someone is better versed in this area then by all means jump in and correct me, b/c I would always like to know if I have been misinformed so I don't misinform others.[:\]

Lethal[heavy]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:17:16 PM EDT
[#10]
i have the wilson combat on a bushmaster carbine hbar. some have said it is louder and depending what i shoot thru it, i get old dragon breath, not good to shoot at night. wilson will send b.a.t.f. offical letter.
my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Not that I have one or personally used one; I've been recommended the AK74 break. From what I've read it works well with recoil. Bushmaster posts
Reduces Felt Recoil 70% - Reduces Muzzle Climb 90%
View Quote

AK brake is OK but seems louder to my ear than the Cav Comp or Wilson, works about the same as far as muzzle stabilization goes. More muzzle flash. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
What is everyones $.02 on the stock Armalite brake? People at the range say its LOUD-O-RAMA! but with plugs AND muffs, all I get is headache.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:39:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Red,
If you are asking us to "assume" about the type of weapon, you may assume I have the same sort. I went through the same game. Pros and cons. The pro list was: It would look cool.
The con list: It would have to be sent in to do it, the expense, no performance enhancement, no one would shoot next to me at the range...etc..
I go W/O.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:48:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Red,
The con list: It would have to be sent in to do it, the expense, no performance enhancement, no one would shoot next to me at the range...etc..
I go W/O.
Good Luck.
View Quote

No offence, but a good brake is a definite performance enhancement, especially when shooting fast with optics. They are very necessary on light AR's such as the M4.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Ipsc,
None taken. I imagined myself on the firing line
with iron sights and withtout instant follow ups or double taps needed.
Good Luck.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:00:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Also, what are the different methods of attaching a muzzle break if the barrel is not threaded?
View Quote

Red -

You have a muzzle break?  How did it get broken?  And who broke it?  Shouldn't you think about getting it fixed before you shoot it?

Sheesh.....
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:18:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, what are the different methods of attaching a muzzle break if the barrel is not threaded?
View Quote

Red -

You have a muzzle break?  How did it get broken?  And who broke it?  Shouldn't you think about getting it fixed before you shoot it?

Sheesh.....
View Quote

HA! I love it! A mind is a terrible thing!
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, tc6969 - I think we're the only two people on this board who know the difference. Everyone else is sitting there saying "what are those guys talking about?"

BTW - the mechanic says my car needs a break job.  How much should I pay for it?  [:P]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:07:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Steel Rat,
I am sure we are all humbled in your presence. Please enlighten us to your wisdom.
Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

You know, tc6969 - I think we're the only two people on this board who know the difference. Everyone else is sitting there saying "what are those guys talking about?"

BTW - the mechanic says my car needs a break job.  How much should I pay for it?  [:P]
View Quote

Yeah we are on the same page! Have some whiskey! Me and Varmithunter are doing it up right! I think you need some dolars for that break job! Check this out! [URL]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=50119[/URL]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Steel Rat,
I am sure we are all humbled in your presence. Please enlighten us to your wisdom.
Good Luck
View Quote

Shut up and drink! Its whiskey knight! How did I do BEE?
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Jewbroni--

There was a discussion several months back about this on HKPro.com.  Even if you make a post ban rifle a registered SBR, you cannot thread the muzzle.  The ATF considers it making a new (i.e. post-ban) assault weapon if you add that additional feature.  Some people wanted to SBR their HK USC so they could put folders on them, and they were told it was illegal.

AFARR
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Jewbroni--

There was a discussion several months back about this on HKPro.com.  Even if you make a post ban rifle a registered SBR, you cannot thread the muzzle.  The ATF considers it making a new (i.e. post-ban) assault weapon if you add that additional feature.  Some people wanted to SBR their HK USC so they could put folders on them, and they were told it was illegal.

AFARR
View Quote

The way it was described to me at a gun show was they threaded the barrel, properly lined up the brake (break?)Then pinned it,welded the hole, then reparkered it. The sample I saw was BEAUTIFUL! and solid as a rock due to the threading!
Link Posted: 9/9/2001 4:06:24 PM EDT
[#24]
TC--

That is correct for a muzzle brake.  If you leave it threaded and do not permanantly pin on the brake, it is illegal.  You cannot thread and attach a flash hider to a post ban gun that does not have it already (i.e. an M1A does because it doesn't have a pistol grip).

AFARR
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top