BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2001 10:57:48 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:11:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Great to see you back HR!!

I have no experience with the 7mm Mag at all,
but my first hi-powered rifle was a Savage 110
in 30/06.  It was the "plain Jane" model (E?)
on which I fitted a Bushnell/Banner 4-12x
'scope.

Functionally it was very acceptable.  Accuracy
wise, with a it's favorite handloads, it would
group just under 1" @ 100 yds.

Price?  As I recall, I bought mine for $279.00
new.

(In 1983)

Now HR - what's your take on Reno running in
Florida?  You did a hell of a good job in the
last Presidential election.  Some people were
asking about this the other day!!!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations on getting engaged.

That price is not remarkable for a Savage.  I have seen new ones for the same price, and you could get a new Remington ADL for a few bucks more.  There is a lot more you can do to a Remington as far as aftermarket stuff.  I think the Savages are good and accurate rifles, but they suffer as far as resale and IMHO are the ugliest thing going.  If it were me, I'd look at a Model 70 Black Shadow or Model 700 ADL.

7mm Rem Mag is pretty accurate, on par with most of the other major hunting cartridges.  It shoots flat, about the same as the other magnums.  7mm bullets are very good ballistically.  There are a nice variety of bulet weights to choose from.  It has become a very popular hunting round, but I do not think it gets much usage as far as target shooting.  It is too much for varmints.  If you are looking for a target/varmint/big-game rifle all in one, 308 is probably a better choice.  You might also want to take a look at 25-06, 260 Remington, or 7mm-08.

Welcome back.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, HR is back!

[beer]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got a Sendero in 7mm mag.  If I could do it all over again I'd look at either the Winchester 7mm SM or the Remington 7mm SA Mag.  They are short actions with "Magnum" performance.  Also no belt (easier to reload).  

As stated earlier the Savage is a good shooter, proven better than competitors in it's class more than once.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, look who the cat dragged in! You must be a changed man; normally you'd be asking this question after you had bought your new gun.

Congrats, by the way!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 5:47:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Where is the ratbastahd RotDorn these days?  He got my going on an AK bender!
View Quote

he's around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top