Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/7/2001 8:34:26 AM EDT
I can make hamburger and mac with the best of them but never tried a real meal before. The other night my wife was exhausted from work so I thought I'd cook instead. She had promised a lasagna dinner with bread. Everyting turned out well and I got a nice compliment from the wifie on how good the meal was. Now I know some of the effort she puts into cooking regularly.

Kudos to our significant others and what they do for us. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#1]
My mother and father were both excellent cooks, so I picked it up at an early age.  Not exactly chefs or fancy, but I can make just about any meal well.  The key is patience, preparation, and time.  I'd say on average I cook about 40% of the time, which is usually when I come home and the kids have been driving my wife up the wall or I just feel like cooking.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:46:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Forgot to add, that "Golden Arches" homecookin ain't so bad sometimes... [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Last week for a friend his wife and kid, I made chicken ravioli with rosemary and a red sauce with meat in it, with a garden salad, and rolls.

Last night was chicken tacos, spanish rice, and refried beans.  

And none of this store bought taco shell crap, we're talking tortillas cooked in oil, folded and salted.  Yup, it was good [:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:04:44 AM EDT
[#4]
No offense intended, but I thought you Texas folks always ate mesquite flavored steak and spareribs on the side? [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, yes I can.

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:06:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe it's something about us Texas boyz...but I cook too (all the posts up until mine).  Not that I have an interest in cooking per se, but I am not afraid to cook a complex meal for the first time and without preparation.

Last night was a good example.  The wife was feeling wiped out (not from me!...the kiddos) so I decided to cook.  Had chicken breast sauteed with a spicy Thai peanut sauce over it, put over Basmati rice.  It was decent.

Of course, I am THE GRILL MAN when something has to be cooked outside.  For instance, whether I want to do the cooking or not...steak does NOT get cooked on the stove or in the oven.  I don't care if it's raining cats and dogs...my ass will be outside to make sure it's cooked RIGHT!  ha ha   My wife hasn't used our grill ever.  

Cooking's fun, but I'd rather do the dishes instead.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#7]
heh heh. I taught my wife all of my favorite recipes...and then forgot them. Hell, thats ONE of the reasons I got married.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:12:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I do all the cooking in our house. My parents owned several steak houses, so i learned to cook at an early age. Also, my wifes cooking would make better paint stripper than supper. That being the case, I happily took over the cooking duties 14 years ago as a simple matter of self preservation.

Honey, if you are reading this: I know it may sound harsh, but you know it's true.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I can, my wife hates to cook. When I am in, I do all of the cooking. Can make a "Roux" from scratch for Gumbo's, etc. I don't mind cooking as my wife takes care of a 5 acre yard by herself. I hate yards, cutting grass, etc. She also doesn't say much when I order excessive amounts of ammunition, etc. She tolerates my going to Gun Shows, with the knowledge that when I say "I'm just going to look", that I will spend a minimum of $250.00 and up to (one time) $2000.00. That is what is known as a perfect marriage. She also takes out the garbage.

Yes I can and do love to cook.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
She also doesn't say much when I order excessive amounts of ammunition, etc. She tolerates my going to Gun Shows, with the knowledge that when I say "I'm just going to look", that I will spend a minimum of $250.00 and up to (one time) $2000.00. That is what is known as a perfect marriage. She also takes out the garbage.
View Quote

I think I married her sister, well almost. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:30:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I can cook Mac & Cheese, Spaghetti, Ramen Noodles, and chicken breasts.

"Boiling water" counts as cooking...right?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]
My wife says I cook better than she does BUT, I make too much of a mess.  Was a professional bachelor at one time, so I learned to cook.  Still do all the grillin', frying turkeys, etc.  If I ever became wealthy, I'd like to attend a Chef's school, just for the hell of it.  
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:35:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Oh yea, I can cook better than the old lady can...sure hope she isn't monitoring this board though 'cause she CAN shoot.....
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I like to skin and cook any animals I hunt and kill. They usually taste pretty good. Outside of that, I cook:

Steak
Hamburger
Beef Stew
Any Fish (Catfish, Snapper, Barracuda, Wahoo)
Beef Ribs
Roast Beef
Chicken
Texas Steak Fries
Spaghetti
Macaronni
Lasagna
Vermacelli
Linguini
Pork Roast
Turkey

Sometime when I get the chance to hunt in a state where I can Hunt them:

Buffalo
Alligator (Protected in FL)

I had Alligator in New Orleans and it was Pretty Good. I had Buffalo, but the idiot cook, cooked it with onions inside the meat. The meat itself was pretty good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:42:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Two years of cooking school and several jobs in some of the better restraunts. Here's a tip, if your young and broke work in restraunts. You'll still be broke but won't go hungry.

For anyone who wants a simple easy way to impress the wife or new girlfriend try this one.

STEYR AUGs Shrimp Scampi

What you need...

1 1/2 pounds of cooked shrimp peeled and deveined. Buy it this way from the store, less hassel. You still have to pull the tails.

2 stick of butter
1 small lemon or lemon juice
1 bundle of green onions (about 6)
2 Tablespoons of chopped garlic in oil
1 package parmisan cheese (get the real stuff  not out of the green can)
1/2 cup of white wine if you don't like your scampi sweet

Prep:

1. Pull remaining tail shell off shrimp. Rinse shrimp with water and squirt with lemon juice.

2. Chop ends off of green onions. Then cut the remaining green onions into fine pieces about the size of a kernel of corn.

3. Squeeze juice out of lemon into cup, need about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

4. Peel garlic clove and chop garlic into fine pieces. Of course if you are smart you just bought chopped garlic in oil.

In a skillet melt both sticks of butter over medium heat. Then add lemon juice, garlic and green onions. If you like your scampi kinda dry add 1/2 cup of white wine.

When it starts to simmer add shrimp and cover in a thin layer of parmisan cheese. When the cheese begins to melt flip shrimp over and add another layer of cheese. When new layer is melted serve in a deep plate with plenty of butter garlic sauce from skillet.

Important us medium heat, not high. The shrimp is already cooked and only needs to be heated. As soon as the second layer of cheese melts, it is done. Do not overcook it.

If you aren't sure if you like your scampi sweet or dry go by this. If you like dry wine make it dry. If you like wine sweet, or not at all, make it without wine.

Best served with baked potatos which you need to have already cooked before starting the shrimp in the skillet. Cooking time for shrimp will NOT be longer than 10 mins.

An additional warning...this recipie has enough cholestral to kill small mammals.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:43:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Yes, I can cook.  My parents were involved in a regional planning commission and were gone quite a lot, so, since I like to eat, I learned to cook.  My older brother all he could make at the time were PB&J's and an occasional hamburger.
It's worked out quite well now that I'm married with children.  My wife works all different shifts and never really learned to cook a lot of different foods so I do almost all the cooking.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:46:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Oh yea, I can cook better than the old lady can...sure hope she isn't monitoring this board though 'cause she CAN shoot.....
View Quote
I will paraphrase this for my case -
I can cook better than the g/f can . . . sure hope she doesn't go in the kitchen because the only thing she can make is reservations!
'Cause she CAN shoot well, I'll keep her anyway!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Cooking is too much fun to just let the Ms. do it.  My specialty is anything cooked on the grill, but baked Pork ribs, Cantonese Pork Chop with onion, stir-fry snow peas with Chinese mushrooms are some of my faves.  I may have to add a recipe section to my web page once I set it up.

My theory is if I ain't rich or good looking, I'd better learn to do something to make me more appealing to the fairer sex!

Oh, I make the world's best cookies.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Of course I do or I'd starve. Besides...the cat won't let me near her food bowl.

Talyn
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:00:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I'm single. If I didn't cook I would starve. And there ain't no danger of that happening anytime soon. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:07:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I am feeling much better reading these replies. Alot of you really do feel at "home on the range".

Can I hang out with ya'll when TEOTWAWKI happens??? [:D]

Surprised that fairy picture hasn't shown up yet with him in the kitchen. He seems to do everything else, even has a SUR. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:12:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Of course there's always MRE's.  Just have to get the bag open.  Now where is my knife....
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#24]
I can!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
I can cook about anything given a recipe. The wife cooks quite well but rarely does she do anything above mac n' cheese/frozen pizza. One thing she can't get down is timing different dishes to all be ready at the same time, small price to pay I think.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#26]
My wife and I cook together almost every night.  We also kill a bottle of wine while cooking.  We cook Cajun, Creole and French food. We live on the water so "fish is for Dinner"  often.  Red fish with vanilla bean sauce is one of my favorites.
Bill
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:31:49 AM EDT
[#27]
this may just be the first post of mine that makes it to a second page.
[beer]

Anyone know how to fry ice cream?

edited to say:

Congratulations Grundsau on making it to Page Two [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#28]
I make good ham sandwiches.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:27:48 AM EDT
[#29]
My family says I make better Prime Rib and better steaks than you can get in a restaurant. Also do Pork Roasts, vhicken and all the other usuals.

Joe

[^]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 11:59:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, but it is a good bit of work and frankly I would rather clean that cook if I have a choice, unless I just happen to be in the mood to cook.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:06:45 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a pretty mean chef!  Italian is my specialty but I can also do BBQ, chinese stir fry's, just about anything in a cookbook I can tackle.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Everyone likes the tiramisu that I make.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:06:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Can I cook? Absolutely.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Everyone likes the tiramisu that I make.
View Quote

Ahhh so, you're more of a dessert man. [:D]

edited because the "F7" key is missing from my keyboard.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#35]
I can cook, but I would rather have someone else do it for me.

Tyler
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:51:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I've been cooking since about the age of 9.  Nothing really fancy, just your average (or what used to be average) American family meals.  I tend heavily towards Italian foods with tomato sauces (never cared for white sauces).  I really enjoy making bread.  If I didn't spend so much money on guns and reloading stuff, I'd have a really nice commercial mixer.  

Problem is, I hate to clean.  I always said I wanted to marry a woman who hated to cook, but liked to clean.  Well, I got a woman who hates to cook, but is [b]willing[/b] to clean, which is perfectly acceptable.[:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:08:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Just watch Emeril and Wolfgang on Food Network.

You can pick up a lot from them.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:23:04 PM EDT
[#38]
I try and grill ever so often.......
 [img]http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/FIREdevil.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:29:45 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Just watch Emeril and Wolfgang on Food Network.

You can pick up a lot from them.
View Quote

What the heck is CX? Looks like one of the abbreviations of a certain "Nerve Gas" or is it "Tear Gas"? that I saw in my NBC Warfare school, way back when.

One of the shows I always watched, was a Cajun cooking show with "Justin Wilson". He just recently passed away. He always told jokes and stories during his cooking session. Too bad, he was really good.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:39:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#41]
I can...and my speciality is.....

Them - "there's nothing to make for dinner"
Me - "Oh really!, clear out of the kitchen"

38 minutes passes.....

Them - "Wow, a 5 course meal"
Me - "Hmmm... that's the 5th time this month, are you guys trying to get out of the cooking duty?"

Oh, BTW, I don't do dishes!
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#42]
I'm hungry now.
Guess I'll have to go plug the toaster in now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I'm hungry now.
Guess I'll have to go plug the toaster in now.
View Quote

I'm sorry but I gotta do it. Bad pun alert!
Be careful you don't plug the toaster. Ok? Sorry, now I'm toast. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:22:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Post from bbauman -
One thing she can't get down is timing different dishes to all be ready at the same time, small price to pay I think.
View Quote

THAT is probably the hardest thing to learn at first - how to make certain that the meal 'comes together' at the same time! It takes a lot of practice.

I learned to cook my best when I was going to school in Baton Rouge! There is no better place on God's green earth to learn cooking than down in Louisiana!

I can make Gumbo from scratch! My Jambalaya, and simple red beans and rice, are some of the best! At least two native Nawlins' folks done tole me dat my red beans and rice was da best dey ever ate.

Eric The(GodBlessJustinWilson!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:36:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Thank goodness I can cook becuae my wife has trouble boiling water.  But then I can't complain because I knew that before we got married.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

You mean like the ones you get at Japanese restaurants?  Those are easy.

Get some tempura batter and mix it with cold water.  That is the secret to crispy crust "COLD ICE" water.  Make sure the batter is not too thick. Dip icecream into the batter and fry at 375 oil for about 25-30 seconds.  Serve on a COLD plate immediately.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:38:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Two years of cooking school and several jobs in some of the better restraunts. Here's a tip, if your young and broke work in restraunts. You'll still be broke but won't go hungry.

For anyone who wants a simple easy way to impress the wife or new girlfriend try this one.

STEYR AUGs Shrimp Scampi

What you need...

1 1/2 pounds of cooked shrimp peeled and deveined. Buy it this way from the store, less hassel. You still have to pull the tails.

2 stick of butter
1 small lemon or lemon juice
1 bundle of green onions (about 6)
2 Tablespoons of chopped garlic in oil
1 package parmisan cheese (get the real stuff  not out of the green can)
1/2 cup of white wine if you don't like your scampi sweet

Prep:

1. Pull remaining tail shell off shrimp. Rinse shrimp with water and squirt with lemon juice.

2. Chop ends off of green onions. Then cut the remaining green nion into fine pieces about the size of a kernel of corn.

3. Squeeze juice out of lemon into cup, need about 3 tablespoons of lemon juice.

4. Peel garlic clove and chop garlic into fine pieces. Of course if you are smart you just bought chopped garlic in oil.

In a skillet melt both sticks of butter over medium heat. Then add lemon juice, garlic and green onions. If you like your scampi kinda dry add 1/2 cup of white wine.

When it starts to simmer add shrimp and cover in a thin layer of parmisan cheese. When the cheese begins to melt flip shrimp over and add another layer of cheese. When new layer is melted serve in a deep plate with plenty of butter garlic sauce from skillet.

Important us medium heat, not high. The shrimp is already cooked and only needs to be heated. As soon as the second layer of cheese melts, it is done. Do not overcook it.

If you aren't sure if you like your scampi sweet or dry go by this. If you like dry wine make it dry. If you like wine sweet, or not at all, make it without wine.

Best served with baked potatos which you need to have already cooked before starting the shrimp in the skillet. Cooking time for shrimp will be longer than 10 mins.

An additional warning...this recipie has enough cholestral to kill small mammals.
View Quote

I'am going to try this out next week, let you know how it goes. The wife loves shrimp scampi. I can't cook to save my life, but neither can she!! If this dish comes out great, I'll be the chef of the future!  

I think someone should start a thread for recipes, I'am not qualified to do it!  [:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:00:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ok....ok....I realize this thread was directed to the "guys", but I couldn't resist reading it.  There are a lot more of you out there cooking than I ever imagined.  Kudos to you all!  And Grundsau, here's another recipe for that fried ice cream.  This is the way I like it.

Ingredients    

1 quart vanilla ice cream
3 cups crushed cornflakes cereal
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 egg whites
2 quarts oil for frying

Directions    

Scoop ice cream into 8 - 1/2 cup sized balls. Place on baking sheet and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.  

In a shallow dish, combine cornflakes and cinnamon. In another dish, beat egg whites until foamy. Roll ice cream balls in egg whites, then in cornflakes, covering ice cream completely. Repeat if necessary. Freeze again until firm, 3 hours.

In deep fryer or large, heavy saucepan, heat oil to 375 degrees.

Using a basket or slotted spoon, fry ice cream balls 1 or 2 at a time, for 10 to 15 seconds, until golden. Drain quickly on paper towels and serve immediately.

mmmmmm....good stuff!!  [:P]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'am going to try this out next week, let you know how it goes. The wife loves shrimp scampi. I can't cook to save my life, but neither can she!! If this dish comes out great, I'll be the chef of the future!  

I think someone should start a thread for recipes, I'am not qualified to do it!  [:)]
View Quote

Good luck, if you pull it off I'll post one for Spicy Mandarin Barbeque Ribs.

By the way, ONE typo "cooking time for shrimp will NOT be longer than 10 mins."

I learned to cook a long time ago. Being self reliant meant I could show subpar girlfriends the door and still eat.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:17:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Hell yes I can cook.[:)]

Between Graham Kerr, Justin Wilson and my Grandmother and Mother there's not much I won't try. My Grandmother cooked like Jusin did, never really measure anything just put it in. Always came out great. I didnt get married until I was 35 and I havent missed many meals. I have more fun cooking with a crock pot than anything else. Quick, easy and not much clean up. The only thing I'm not good at is sweets and white gravy.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top