Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/6/2001 9:41:58 PM EDT
What drug or herb can keep you awake and alert better than caffiene.  I'm in the mood to work my ass of so I was thinking about a couple 24-32 hour work days.  

Unfortunately I have about caffieneed myself out and I quit smoking so I cant use the old standby nicotine.  

Any suggestions guys, illegal drugs are no-no's as I quit jobs fairly often to manage the best money/schedule.  

[):)]
NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Staple your nuts to an answering machine. That should keep ya up.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Supergule your asshole shut.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:48:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeh... Nothing pisses me off more than this 40 hour work week.  I'm sure some of you have families but dammit I want to work 14 hour days 6 days a week.  And no taxes.  

I don't even need the money! I just feel lazy when I sleep so even after I come home from 13 hours of "work" I have to do something until the wee hours of the morning.  Ar15.com is my only break now.  

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:49:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A large mug of warm Japanese green tea will keep you awake for days.  My GF and I used to drink it during "finals week" when we were in University.  Best of all, it won't give you headache. Try it.    
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#5]
A large coffee and two RedBulls.
                [flag]
Alex
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A large mug of warm Japanese green tea will keep you awake for days.  My GF and I used to drink it during "finals week" when we were in University.  Best of all, it won't give you headache. Try it.    
View Quote

you are the man!  I get that stuff for free at work, Green Tea, the choice of champions.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Become familiar with your little friend.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A large coffee and two RedBulls.
Alex
View Quote

Sometimes I mix Pepsi and Coffee but after A [b] REALLY [/b] bad episode of Red Bull and No Doze I won't touch either of the latter.  

NSF

edit for clarity.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:54:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Become familiar with your little friend.
View Quote

impotent.  must be the caffiene.  Sorry dude.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Crack cocaine, after you smoke some youll stay up all night robbing, stealing and searching for more. Works everytime. I guaranteeeeee!
GG
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:57:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I am sure you have heard of the herb Ginseng right?  From what I remember it is supposed to give you a boost very similar to caffeine.

Then of course you have ephedrine aka ma huang.  Now from experience this stuff kicks ass as far as keeping you awake or giving you a boost of energy.  I found this out because I needed something to help my breathing w/ a cold and the boost was a pleasant side effect.  These are available over the counter as a decongestant but many places restrict selling it anymore as there is a smear campaign against its use and availability.  This happens with any thing of mother natures that works wonders.  But you knew this anyway.
Good Luck
rDAm
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:59:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I drink 2 liters of Dr Pepper a day.
On occasion I'll drink 5.
So thats why my dick don't work.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:00:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Good advice Invictus.  Anyone have a cure for the shakes?  I get those sometimes.  Can't carry plates when your damn hand jiggles like Santas belly.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeh, and while I'm listing some malady's I'd just like to mention my hands are cut up worse than Rod Goldmans throat.  They hurt.  Damn glasses and plates are made in china, I might have tetnus or something.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:05:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Gyroscopic stabilization.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:06:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Be very careful with ginseng as it can cause very high blood pressure to people who may have slightly elevated blood pressure.  Also, for people with normally slightly hign temperature it was cause havoc with your internal organs (mainly your stomach).  You'll have stomach cramps that will make you wish you were dead.

Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Dammit Lotboy, you trying to get Senior Status on [b] MY [/b] thread tonight?  [:D]

Only 20 to go, keep up those one-liners and you might get it soon.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:09:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Be very careful with ginseng as it can cause very high blood pressure to people who may have slightly elevated blood pressure.  Also, for people with normally slightly hign temperature it was cause havoc with your internal organs (mainly your stomach).  You'll have stomach cramps that will make you wish you were dead.

View Quote

Whenever I donate blood, they take my temp and it's right on.  Whenever I get checked in the doc's office It's elevated with one time being 101 and I felt fine.  Maybe Ginseng won't b for me.  I've been sucking down Kava Kava pills like mad to relax, I suppose they work.

NSF
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:09:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, my member is not a Senior yet.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:16:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Ephredra

It's usually from a Ma-Haung extract.  Find it in any number of diet capsules.  Unfortunately it's usually packaged in capsule form with caffiene so to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if the main upper effect is from caffiene or the ephedra.  

They sure keeps me awake though.  And I don't feel hungry [:D].
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#21]
NSF, maybe if you feel tired you might try SLEEPING as a drug.

Go ahead and experiment with sleep deprivation for a while, but I bet you'll do better and more precise work with 6-8 hours of sleep under your belt.  

I may not retire rich as Creosus, but I aim at being a cratchity old bastard with a lot of life left in him.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:37:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Re-Read above post.  No sleep for extended periods of time affects your immune system.

sgtar15
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good advice Invictus.  Anyone have a cure for the shakes?  NSF
View Quote

Get plenty of sleep and drink plenty of water. Believe me.  I know.

Think of sleep as productive time for your body so you won't feel like you are being lazy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:52:41 PM EDT
[#24]
NSFJojo:

We all deprive our selves of sleep at times for work, study, party, etc. but don't make it a habit.  Chronic sleep depravation will take terrible toll on you health.  You may not see or feel the effect immediately but you'll pay the price down the road.  I know as I used to work 1 full time job and 1 part time job while going to University full time.  After University I used to work 12 - 16 hours a day at my job climbing the corporate ladder for 8 years. Until I was 33 years old I normally lived on 4-5 hours sleep a day 6 days a week.  I didn't notice the effect on my body at the time and I thought I was stong enough to handle it but now that I'm not so young any more I'm paying the price.

Take it easy man and get some sleep.  Like milk, It will do your body good.

Its late now so shut down the computer and get some sleep.  We'll all be here again tomorrow.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:58:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
NSF, maybe if you feel tired you might try SLEEPING as a drug.

Go ahead and experiment with sleep deprivation for a while, but I bet you'll do better and more precise work with 6-8 hours of sleep under your belt.  

I may not retire rich as Creosus, but I aim at being a cratchity old bastard with a lot of life left in him.  
View Quote

Dude, he's right. You'll never quite notice it at first, but your thinking really starts to dull after too many hours awake.
I remember sleeping 5 hours in a span of about 80 while finishing a nasty take-home final. The last 12 hours I was doing work that shoulda taken me 1 if i'd been alert enough. Your body feels allright after a while, but your mind isn't there - not to mention when you wake up later it's almost as bad as a hangover.
Week after, I just fell asleep studying for yet another final - got 10 hours, and aced the test next morning. The difference is only noticeable after the fact.
Yeah, I know, those extended work days are fun(Why do you think I'm on this board this late?), but push it too far and it's counterproductive, no matter how macho you feel.

And watch out with ephedra, too. There's also been high-blood-pressure-related deaths with that stuff.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm suprised no one has said meth yet.[X] I do know some guys who used to do crank, and they said it was some bad stuff. One guy even told me he stayed up for 5 days once using the stuff, of course when he crashed he slept for like 40 hours straight.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:27:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Meth and Crank are bad because they're drugs.  Caffeine and Ephedra are ok because they.. well... ok, they're natural and legal.  So they have to be good for you.

Once on nightwatch on the deck of a ship in the Indian Ocean, I made a pot of coffee.  It was about a 50 cup coffee maker and I put in a whole brand new BIG can of coffee grounds.  Me and a few others drank the whole thing.  I swear if I wasn't 19 and in awesome shape, I think my heart would've exploded by day 2.  I was awake for 3+ days.

Pulling an all nighter once in a great while is fine.  You can make up some of it with sleep.  But pouring drugs into your body will age you fast.

Something to think about:  Do you think caffeine would get past the FDA if it were introduced today?  

Yea, I do it too.  But then, I never said I was intelligent [:D].
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:44:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Ricin will keep you awake.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 4:14:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Go to a nutiritional store and get some Hydroxycut or Xenadrine.  Both are basically the same product.  They're a dietary suppliment to help you lose weight and give you more energy.  Trust me, the stuff keeps you up.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 4:15:52 AM EDT
[#30]
There is an item called "Alert" that is all natural. My wife sells it to a few people one of which is a nurse who works those long shifts at the hospital. The good thing is there are no side effects like headaches and stuff.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:05:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Several herbs available:
Already suggested Ginseng but there are differances and you may respond better with one than any other.
 Siberian, Korean and American Ginseng.
 I respond better to Siberian.

Bee Pollen - works well but does not stay on board very long.

If you can find a Natures Sunshine Dealer - product Natures Chi.  Works very well but you need to take often and with food.  Can you give the shakes.  I took one an hour while in the Police Academy with a small snack.  Works very well.

The problem with most herbs is that they are considered food and if your body is tired and run down, your body will not assimulate the food very well.

Don't punish your body this way, it will get even with you.  Sickness is very common for those who abuse the body and does not feed it right.  Ie, Sleep, food, exercise and nutritional supplements.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#32]
NODOZE tablets, chase 'em down with COFFEE, then smoke some CIGS!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top