Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 1:45:11 PM EDT
OK, I live in Arizona, and we are able to get cocealed carry permits. My question is...How do those of you who have them, or those with FFL's feel about giving up your fingerprints ???
I have never been fingerprinted by anyone, and feel a little strange about doing it in order to have concealed carry ability. We already have open carry, so do you think it's worth it ???
I'm not trying to be a "tinfoil beanie" type, just a little leery about this.
Your thoughts please,
SPECTRE out...
[:\]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:51:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a CCW in Arizona and Nevada. Didn't much care for the fingerprint on file deal either.
In my case, they were already on file, so it didn't much matter.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I feel a little odd about giving mine up to, but since I'm a relatively honest citizen (I have this problem with speeding), so I don't mind so much.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Hell if you can open carry why do it then?
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#5]
spectre,

I have AZ CCW.  It felt damn strange to be fingerprinted.  I had numerous problems with the whole process.  

1)  I have misgivings about being forced to take tests and prove competence to exercise a right.  OTOH, I do like the concept of knowing all CCW holders have at least a "clue".

2)  The fingerprints were weird.  This almost assumes I will get into some trouble and they will need evidence to prove it later.  Fingerprinting is  a crock of shit IMO.

3)  And after all that, the actual skill level required is so weak you could teach a 10 yo to pass it in 20 minutes.  

But get it anyway.  The more people have them, the clearer the message sent that we DO have and carry self defense tools.  And, when you buy weapons, you don't have to wait for a phone call.  Buy and walk.

And lastly, get it for peace of mind.  Laws are contantly changing.  What it you happen to have a .38 in the glove compartment and find out that in this jurisdiction or time of day or whatever - it is illegal.  If you are CCW you are covered.  Excepting those specific places you will learn about in the training.

James

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:23:56 PM EDT
[#6]
After reading your responses, I just thought of this question. What do they do with the fingerprints and other info if you give up the permit ??
AND who else has access to this info and for what reasons ???
AR-sniper, I think you may be right. it's usually to hot to wear anything but a t-shirt and shorts or pants and maybe a light jacket(for 1 or 2 days a year) so why try to hide one and just proudly carry it !!![x]
SPECTRE out...
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Open carry is a mistake for anyone other than a cop. It's too easy to take it away from you when someone can see what you have and where it is. Don't even think about getting on some ego trip and say, "Not me, I'm a bad dude". No body is that bad and if they were then they wouldn't need a gun anyway(just my arrogant opinion, sorry for any offense). But I live in the Houston area and have the same problem with heat. I've settled for a inside holster with either a .380 or .32 Beretta. If you want something bigger then there is always the faggy fanny packs, yikes!!! Of course I wouldn't feel like quite such a weenie if I had the HK USP 40 tucked away in there I guess.

As far as fingerprints, that part sucks but mine were already on too many different files already to worry about it much. LEO of yesteryear and secret clearences took care of that a long time ago. Just do it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
It is my understanding that you are fingerprinted so that they can do an extremely thorough background check (in order to prove that you are who you say you are, or at least that you AREN'T someone else.)  I was a rent-a-cop in college and they fingerprinted you and did a background check for that too, so my prints are on file with the DPS as I write this.  I don't think it has anything to do with assuming you'll "get in trouble later".

I like the fact that possessing a CCW gets you out of having to go through the NICS check.  I haven't gotten my CCW yet because I can't seem to figure out when I'll have a weekend available to take the class far enough in advance to register for one.  But I will.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:29:37 PM EDT
[#9]
I was already finger printed in the military for joining, and then again for security clearances. But I can see your concern, rest assured, my finger prints from 45 years ago, are still on file. I haven't went for a CCW yet, but eventually will, mainly so I can carry concealed in boat, etc. (to keep gun out of the elements, so to speak). Now days they use a computer to do finger prints that will not only print out your finger prints on a card, it will also email them to Law Enforcement agencies, so later they can take your guns away!!! Ha! These emailed prints I believe are instantly scanned by the state your in, and, mabye by the FBI for any "Wants and Warrants". Who knows. Only "Janet Reno" knows for sure.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:32:20 PM EDT
[#10]
And then there is the OBVIOUS:

So if you've never been printed before, there are numerous crimes you could have already committed. You give them your prints and then they can computer check them against all the prints from past crime scenes. If they don't match, then you're off and running. Another aspect of the background check
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I had to get printed 20 yrs. ago when I purchased an M1 from DCM. No problem, behave youself and you have nothing to worry about. Or do you?
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:51:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Hell, I was in the military...they have my prints already, so what the hell do I care?
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:00:15 PM EDT
[#13]
I have an AZ CCW. I had no issues or hesitations when getting my fingers printed.

The lady even said "You've had this done before, haven't you?"
She was probably kidding, but my prints have been taken on at least a half-dozen occasions anyway. No big deal.

If you're really worried, make new prints with the cigarette lighter in your car. You can make them all identical, and it only hurts for a little while. [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top