Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2001 8:51:50 PM EDT
Any martial artists out there? if so what style...
shaolin kung-fu for me
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll find Jujitsu or any of it's derivitives such as Judo or Aikido more useful.  Most of the H2H moves taught in both the military and police are based on one of these arts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:00:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Ving Tsun (Wing Chun) Kung Fu ... dabbled in Jeet Kune Do ... I really enjoy the freestyle.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:04:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I trained actively in martial arts for more than 11 years.  I studied a Burmese art called, Bando.  It combines Muay Thai with Kung Fu type techniques, along with a series of blunt and edged weapons to learn.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By gÖb£í/\/:
shaolin kung-fu for me
View Quote

What style of Kung Fu?
Took Sil-Lum in High School and Ying Jow Pai a few years back.

Also taken Wing Chun, Tae Kwon Do, Arnis, and Kempo. Been studying since I was about 12yo.
After getting out of the military I taught Kempo for a couple of years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:13:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Si Lum is another name for Shao-Lin where most martial arts are derived... along with kempo that is where the horse and cat stance come from in kempo along with numerous other things.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:21:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Regardless of all the different styles, the best training you can get is plain old american boxing in a ring.  It's the only one that will teach you to stay on your feet and fight back no matter how hard or how often you get hit.  

THAT is what wins a fight.  Everything else is semantics.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:29:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Si Lum is another name for Shao-Lin where most martial arts are derived... along with kempo that is where the horse and cat stance come from in kempo along with numerous other things.
View Quote

I beg to differ, Roughly translated Shaolin is Little Forest denoting where the temple stands. There are certain styles that use the name Shaolin such as "Shaolin Chuan Fa"(Shaolin Fist Law). Shaolin is not a specific form of Kung Fu rather a place and a way of teaching/learning Kung Fu, among other things such as religion.

Sil Lum(5 animal form) is however a particular style taught at the temple among with Ying Jow Pai, HungGar and many others.

I assume then that your style is Sil-Lum?
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Shaolin= small forest temple yes. I was mistaken about the si-lum part. when referring to shaolin kung fu i mean that i practice everything that was practiced there many moons ago... animal forms, hua fist, drunken boxing....
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:37:39 PM EDT
[#9]
excuse me shoalin= small forest shaolin tsu = small forest temple, its late at night, im tired lol
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:41:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Regardless of all the different styles, the best training you can get is plain old american boxing in a ring.  It's the only one that will teach you to stay on your feet and fight back no matter how hard or how often you get hit.  

View Quote

With the recent success of competitions like the Ulitmate Fighting Challenge and scams like the Tuff Mans Contests, martial artists are finally beginning to understand Bruce Lee's philosophy of complete fighting. A fight is not static, nor is it bound by rules and traditions. A fight is fluid, alive, and, in its most basic form, really UGLY! Many martial artists delude themselves in their training and form. BALONEY!!! If you fight, chances are you WILL be hit. You might end up on the ground, or you may finish the fight standing. Either one is a possibility, and nothing is certain. This IS reality. TRAIN FOR REALITY! My $0.02
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with you partly. The best training is to practice much like boxers do in getting hit full bore. A lot of martial arts guys do this tapping each other crap and point fighting which can only hurt you in a real situation. If one of these guys get hit full bore they will go into a split second shock and give the other guy a chance. My previous instructors always let us go as hard as we'd like. Sure we had broken ribs, dis-located knees(boy that one really hurt. I never felt pain like that b4), busted noses, and being knocked out. One thing though: You learned what worked for you and you tossed out what didn't. I was also taught to end a confrontation as fast as possible. No fancy smancy moves like in the movies. Spit in their face and jab em in the throat and kick em as hard in nuts, end of story in less than 30sec. Shenman and I had a discussion about this at the old board and it came down to, right cross working for him and the front kick working for me.

Martials Arts is good for learning balance and [b]using all your body as a weapon[/b]. I like it, but if boxing works for you, it works for you. I like the option of being able to use my feet. And no I don't use em like in the movies. bottomline, I think no matter how good of a fighter you are, you're bound to get your ass kicked sometime [;)]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Aikido
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:45:20 PM EDT
[#13]
or... if you know u can't win your battle live to fight another day and use your feet....spit in there faces jab them in the throat kick them in the balls... and run like hell!! one or the other or both, its all good!
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Boxing? Hardly.  Try wrestling.  Watch the Ultimate fighting championship, the early ones before they started implementing all the rules.  The grapplers destroy everyone.  Try boxing someone when you are on your back or having your face used as a floor wipe.

You guys should come along sometime while picking up bail skips.  The knock down drag out fights are exactly that.  They always go to the ground.  Most martial arts train to fight standing up and this hardly ever helps you.  He who controls the other persons head and thus his body will win.  The other important thing to remember is that there is no such thing as a fair fight.  You get them on the ground and crush their balls and stick your fingers in their eyes.  Choke them until they pass out.  No standing and trading blows.

Martial arts also tries to train defense against more than one attacker.  This only works if you are facing idiots.  One person ties your hands up or gets you to the ground while the others smash your face in with their boots.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#15]
spit in there faces jab them in the throat kick them in the balls... and run like hell!! one or the other or both, its all good!
[:D]
View Quote

Ahhh sssooooo grasshopper me and you have same style after all. The art of [b]RUN FU[/b]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#16]
ah...so i did learn something at my dojo other than a crane stance i'll never use in real life!

now theres one other thing

the art of kung pow chicken!

[X]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#17]
hey .... easy on da chicken jokes [:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:54:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I disagree AR15. Many instructors teach about street fighting along with their art. My 'master' sits me the class down teaches us history, aplication, and in real life rules don't count like in boxing. and if u want to take a hit like a boxer to iron shirt or I chin ching. also my dojo just recently had a grapling and ground fighting class (which i didn't participate in, dang!)
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Well we differ there a bit. I'm more of the southern style Known as Kung Pao Beef [@:D] Under the tutelage of General Tso and his asst. Chow Mein LOL
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 9:59:49 PM EDT
[#20]
pork and chicken fan here <<
white meat all the way! no... wait... i'm white meat!
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:01:14 PM EDT
[#21]
gob,
Then I don't think we are disargeeing at all!  In fact you are making my point.  You said that they are teaching street fighting and ground fighting along WITH THEIR ART.  They are teaching something besides pure martial arts.  Try and get in on one of the ground fighting and grappling classes.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:01:29 PM EDT
[#22]
seen the new fung fu movie out now .... Hung Kong Assasins staring Who Flung Cum [:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#23]
omg i chuckled at that one!
k guys keep them rolling, i'm a jr. member so i've never had a file on fire, lets try to tonight eh?
[beer]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
seen the new fung fu movie out now .... Hung Kong Assasins staring Who Flung Cum [:D]
View Quote

Hey I'm in that movie under my stage name "Sum Yong Guy" [:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:09:16 PM EDT
[#25]
You guys definately need to get out more!  Or at least get laid more.  After all, here we are on Friday night playing with our computers.

P.S. I am including me in the previous statements!
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Uh...im a kid, go check out Reconnaisance...Demolitions...and whatever that i made.. i got bashed on a lot lol.. but i retaliated with 'About my last post'which is on page 2 or something...
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:18:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You guys definately need to get out more!  Or at least get laid more.  After all, here we are on Friday night playing with our computers.

View Quote

would go out and whoop it up, but I am saving my dollars for my move to TX. Will be whooping it up next weekend though. My last hurrah here in Kali. I do need to get laid more, lets just say I'm done with practice I'm ready for the actual game. LOL [:D] [sex]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#28]
lost interest already cmon guys i need a fire folder!
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:22:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO .... dude ! it's 2 am here .... I DID get laid tonight [:D]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#30]
I cross study between two styles, the "horny monkey" and "rabid squirrel"

I find nobody wants to mess with me once I tell them that I'm a 5th degree black belt in "squirrel style"

Sorry guys, can't resist after all the number of times I've seen this thread :)

And as for getting out more?  I just got back and what you just read is the result after having about a 6pack's worth of malty alcoholic beverages.

honestly, I have tried to go "hand to hand" with squirrels in the past, those little suckers are quick!
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:25:32 PM EDT
[#31]
if u want to lay yourself go to www.hkmp5.com and there are like pictures of dutch ladies or something.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#32]
japanese cats are quick!had to go off road to get them!
cat lover? i am too... i have two, on either side of my fireplace haha!
[heavy]
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#33]
lordtrader, welcome to a new world.

Another thing about fighting.  Before I said there is no such thing as a fair fight.  I ment more than one thing with this.  The first being the obvious, do what it takes to the other person.  The second is dealing with your environment and this is the hard thing to practice.  Fights hardly ever take place in the open on a mat or ring.  They take place in streets and cluttered houses and apartments.
You have to use your environment to your advantage.  It's hard for me to describe exactly what I mean, but an example would be the time I got into it with someone in a house in a narrow hallway. It went from there into a small bathroom where we ended up on the floor between the toilet and the tub.  You have to be able to make the most of it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:34:22 PM EDT
[#34]
who won?
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Dizzy,
Ditto, my girl is sleeping on the couch about 10 feet away.  This doesn't mean that I wouldn't like to get laid more!
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 10:52:16 PM EDT
[#36]
gOb,
I won, but not because I did more damage to him than he did to me.  I won because I had friends along to pry us out of there.  we were crushed in there so tight that he could hit me sort of but couldn't do any damage and I could sort of choke him but not enough to do anything either.  It was actually kind of funny.  All we could do is yell at each other.
I've been hurt more from women in fights than men.  One time a woman hit me in the forehead with a full wine cooler bottle when I was looking the other way.  She smashed it and I still have a nice scar from that one.  Another time I was wrestling around with a guy and I turned around real fast and hit my left eye on the back of a girls head.  She had one of those steel beret things in her hair and it blinded me for a day and a half.  I could see nothing but black and I still have scar tissue but it doesn't hamper my sight.
Link Posted: 2/23/2001 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#37]

I beg to differ, Roughly translated Shaolin is Little Forest denoting where the temple stands. There are certain styles that use the name Shaolin such as "Shaolin Chuan Fa"(Shaolin Fist Law). Shaolin is not a specific form of Kung Fu rather a place and a way of teaching/learning Kung Fu, among other things such as religion.

Sil Lum(5 animal form) is however a particular style taught at the temple among with Ying Jow Pai, HungGar and many others.

I assume then that your style is Sil-Lum?
View Quote

Sil Lum is indeed another pronunciation for Shao Lin. Small forest or pine forest depending upon the character used. Pine Forest Temple is the correct name for the famous temple in Honan. The derivitives come from style semantics among the many Japanese Shorin(shaolin) styles. Chuan Fa is the Chinese rendering for Ken Po or Fist Way. It was Ed Parker that began translating Kenpo as Fist Law for promotional purposes.
Most styles refer to themselves as Shaolin whether they were ever practised their or not. It is to show common heritage but mostly just to attach the name. Sil Lum 5 animal form is the same as Shaolin 5 animal form.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 2:47:55 AM EDT
[#38]
[b]Who won?[/b]

Kid, this is the real world. People get arrested, do time, need stitches, destroy joints, and sometimes die. [b]You don't get the power-up and win the game in real life[/b]. If you have to put your hands on somebody you made at least one mistake earlier.

All real fights end on the ground, always. You can't punch me with broken arms, and your just through if you spend all your time practicing a striking discipline and tangle with a skilled grappler. I wrestled greco-roman and freestyle for 13 years, and sometimes felt sorry for people who have tried to punch me out. Iv'e had my nose broken, and it didn't even phase me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 9:55:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Aikido will serve you very well particularly in keeping/disarming weapons.  It's hard on the back though for us old fat guys.  I think, as others have said, you should study several styles and tailor your technique to your body type.  I also think many martial artists rely too heavily on technique and not enough on strength and fitness like wrestlers do.  In hindsight, I wish I had focussed on wrestling in school instead of football.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:06:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I  have  yet  to  meet  any  kind  of"trained  fighter"I can't dry gulch.I am THE Tai Sifu
of Yuk,Yuk Fu.A kick in the shin (with the toe  of my boot) and a poke in the eye (with  the  tip  of my  finger) has deflated quite a few bigtime tough  guys,all kidding aside,if I had to pick some  hokey martial art I would pick Choy Li Fut or  Wing Chun just because they like to pull  someone's guard out of the way and stuff them  like a turkey(with those battle punches).

"I  will  give  you  a  technique  that  will  allow  you  to  win  99.9%  of  every  fight  you  ever  get  into.....HIT  FIRST!"

Paul  Vunak
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:30:33 AM EDT
[#41]
offline,
Thanks for pointing out to him that the idea is not to fight at all.  Almost always when picking up bail skips, there is no fight.  If there is, you probably did something wrong.  We try to suprise people and get cuffs on them as fast as possible so that they don't get a chance to build any adrenaline up.  We also try to get them out of their familiar environment.
Link Posted: 2/24/2001 10:46:20 AM EDT
[#42]
I train in the art of 9mm! or .223 if the master demands it! LOL
Link Posted: 2/25/2001 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#43]
I stumbled across an old video tape with an episode of 'In living Color' on it and saw this in a skit:  "I know Tai Chi, Tyrone, and 5 other guys who'll kick your ass."
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top