Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/4/2001 9:46:33 AM EDT
..be semi-automatic and have rapid change clips, making them more dangerous than when they left the factory. This is what Jeffery Nathan i think they said he's a fed prosecutor is saying on fox about the bank robber in indiana when explaining why a sawed off shotgun is going to bring additional charges for the guy.

I don't understand why they let it drag on as long as they did, why not just burn the bank down?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#2]
If he did say that, he's going to lose his case. Imagine presenting the facts to the jury with such little knowledge of the law or firearms. They will laugh his ass out of court.

If a criminal reduces the length of the shotgun below legal limits, that's a crime. That being said, you can't turn double barreled shotgun into a semi-auto. For a shotgun to be semi-auto, it has to start out that way. Cutting down the barrel on a semi-auto shotgun only reduces the magazine capacity. So you go from a 8 shot to a 3. You might as well stick with the double barrel.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:37:14 AM EDT
[#3]
well before the CB u could get a detachable mag semi with highcaps hecne u could cut down one of those. but then agien ity would be a a huge bulky POS that would recoil really bad
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
That being said, you can't turn double barreled shotgun into a semi-auto. For a shotgun to be semi-auto, it has to start out that way.
View Quote

A common and understandable misperception.  Fact is, guns are just mechanical devices.  If one has sufficient skills, resources and motivation, it is possible to fashion and alter parts and assemblies to convert virtually any gun from any action type to any other action type.  For example, Winchester 94 leverguns can serve as drum-fed full auto smgs with a bit of work.  And bolt actions can also go full auto with parts such as the Pederson device.

A standard pump shotgun could be modified by a suitably trained person to become a magfed semiauto.  The Sidewinder mag conversion could handle the feed conversion and an appropriate spring and piston assembly could be fashioned to convert the gun to semiauto operation.  A new fixed forearm would also be useful.

Though in the case of the prosecutor's comments, ignorance and poor judgement are in my view the more likely explanation.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
...personally I don't perceive any big difference in danger between a criminal pointing a 12 gauge double barrel at me & a criminal pointing a semiauto 12 gauge at me.  It's the criminal that's dangerous, not his tools.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
He also said shotguns couldn't be shorter than 18 inches.  I thought was the barrel, LOL!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top