Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2001 7:28:35 AM EDT
Man Charged With Shooting At Police During Standoff
A man at the center of a two-hour standoff in High Point faces numerous charges.

Police say they arrested Walter Edwards after he fired several shots at them from a house on Evergreen Avenue in High Point.

[b]Witnesses[/b] called police after [b]they say[/b] they [b]saw[/b] Edwards loading guns into a truck.

Authorities say Edwards eventually passed out and was taken to the hospital.

Edwards is in jail facing a long list of charges, including three counts of attempted murder on police officers.
----------------------------------
Shooting at the police seems like a dumb move. But aside from that, it really is troubling that all it takes is for your neighbors to see guns.  My neighbors ask me what's wrong if I'm NOT loading guns into my truck on the weekend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#1]
If you point a gun at the police they will shoot you in fear of their life. With everything going on now with the "war on guns" maybe Edwards was in fear for HIS life.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 9:12:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Both parties were firing at the wrong side, they both should have ganged up and SHOT THE NEIGHBORS!

I swear, I would be VERY pissed if I lived in a neighborhood like that where so many people were so full of themselves that they have nothing better to do than stick their nose in other people's business.   Thankfully a few of my neighbors are pretty decent folks and on a whole the entire neighborhood doesn't bat an eye at the sight of somebody loading a rifle into their truck, or a lot of them for that matter.

Sad thing is that the neighbors in that area probably feel redeemed in their decision to call the police, because OBVIOUSLY he was dangerous right?

People, if you have any say in the matter pick your neighborhood you choose to move to or live in carefully.

Ain't the FrontSight concept of a planned gun owning community looking better and better?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My neighbors ask me what's wrong if I'm NOT loading guns into my truck on the weekend.
View Quote

I like your neighbors.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Night before last I was involved in a call with an armed man with a shotgun.  Myself and several other officers were about 30 yards aways from a male that originally pointed his shotgun at other officers responding to his apartment complex. Basically the story is he got drunk and made passes at his wife's sister and wife got pissed and they got in a fight.  He grabs his shotgun and decides to start walking around the complex with it and fires a few shots, according to neighbors, before our arrival.  To make a long story short SWAT was called out and made the scene after about two hours of us being behind cover and the suspect continuing to raising and lowering his shotgun.  Luckily he never pointed at anyone after I got on scene.  There were several times when it did look like he was starting to bring the barrel down.  Did we get trigger happy and plug him then....no we didn't.  We all had good cover at that point and knew we would be ok even if he did suddenly fire our direction.  All turned out well and he gave up with out any shots exchanged between us.  

P.S.  The original officers advised they didn't shoot at the beginning of this incident because they were smart enough to know they had to get to cover quick and they said they probably couldn't make an accurate shot from the distance they were at from the suspect.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You're wasting your breath, jadams- they don't want to hear it.  We're all a bunch of fascist, jack-booted incompetent thugs who want to take away their guns, but of course we're too incompetent and the highly trained specops warriors on this board will by God drill us with their tricked-out M4's if we try!

Some people on this board are the poster children for the saying 'a little knowledge is dangerous'.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Man Charged With Shooting At Police During Standoff
A man at the center of a two-hour standoff in High Point faces numerous charges.

Police say they arrested Walter Edwards after he fired several shots at them from a house on Evergreen Avenue in High Point.

[b]Witnesses[/b] called police after [b]they say[/b] they [b]saw[/b] Edwards loading guns into a truck.

[red]Authorities say Edwards eventually passed out and was taken to the hospital.[/red]

Edwards is in jail facing a long list of charges, including three counts of attempted murder on police officers.
----------------------------------
Shooting at the police seems like a dumb move. But aside from that, it really is troubling that all it takes is for your neighbors to see guns.  My neighbors ask me what's wrong if I'm NOT loading guns into my truck on the weekend.
View Quote

Unless the cops were using tranquilizer guns that seems odd. Could it be drunken guy putting guns in a truck made the neighbors wonder what exactly was going on???
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't have any neighbors!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Jadams951,
I for one am relieved to know that at least there are a few LEs left who are intelligent enough to keep themselves safe, and show restraint while working on a effective non- fatal resolution. This man can now be run through the system and his crime addressed so everyone can know the  [b]facts[b/].
You and your fellow officers are a credit to the uniform.

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
You're wasting your breath, jadams- they don't want to hear it.  We're all a bunch of fascist, jack-booted incompetent thugs who want to take away their guns, but of course we're too incompetent and the highly trained specops warriors on this board will by God drill us with their tricked-out M4's if we try!

Some people on this board are the poster children for the saying 'a little knowledge is dangerous'.
View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:16:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm with treetop on this one.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:16:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I live in the woods for a reason.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#13]
If my neighbors ever called the cops because they saw me loading rifles into my trunk and the LE's came over, I would let them look them over all they want.  Down here, they would probably just be jealous.  They can check all the serial numbers they want.  One officer here already said, I think jokingly, that if SHTF on this island, they are gonna come borrow some of my stuff since I apparently have nicer stuff than the PD does.  I think he was kidding, but if we were to ever be wiped out by a hurricane, psunami, etc, I would be more than willing to pitch in and help out, even to the extent of being the island armory.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Would that by chance be Tybee Island?

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 6:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure of the details of that story, but let me explain my situation:

I live in an apartment in a town where people are very nosy and brainwashed and would probably call the police if they saw me loading my firearms in my truck in order to go to the range.  The old woman who lives below me is at her window every single time anyone comes or goes, including me.  I have to be very discreet about loading my guns in the car.  It really pisses me off.  Luckily, a guitar case doesn't get a second look in this leftist burg.  

As far as cops shooting people, I really honestly don't give a shit what cops do or don't do, as long as they're not trying to do it to me or anyone I care about.  Kill the guy waving the shotgun around, it wouldn't bother me a bit.  Boom--one less wifebeater.  Just don't cry "unfair" when you get a taste of the "justice" you mete out.

We live in a society full of snitches, statists, and fools.  I'm the biggest fool for believing it could ever be better.  Or believing I might receive a smidgen of privacy or real, actual respect.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:00:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:00:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Would that by chance be Tybee Island?

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
View Quote

Yessir, that would be it.  My company forced me to move here 5.5 years ago from Atlanta.  It was awful. [:D]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#18]
What state did this happen in?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
If my neighbors ever called the cops because they saw me loading rifles into my trunk and the LE's came over, I would let them look them over all they want.  Down here, they would probably just be jealous.  They can check all the serial numbers they want.  One officer here already said, I think jokingly, that if SHTF on this island, they are gonna come borrow some of my stuff since I apparently have nicer stuff than the PD does.  I think he was kidding, but if we were to ever be wiped out by a hurricane, psunami, etc, I would be more than willing to pitch in and help out, even to the extent of being the island armory.
View Quote

Larry

Never lend weapons to a LEO, you are asking yourself for lots of trouble from the lawsuits that will follow a shooting.

Sell em for $5, and get a reciept. Just make sure they understand its a temporary thing. Thats the deal I have with a few guys here who wanted to know if they could ever borrow some hardware if they need it.
View Quote

I understand, sir.  Isn't it pathetic that you could be sued while trying to do something good.  Damn lawyers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:03:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:07:55 PM EDT
[#21]
What bars, Garand_shooter??  I don't remember any bars!!  Of course, there are nights I don't remember at all, hmmmm, maybe those are the night's I found the bars.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:16:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top