Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 7:17:25 PM EDT
which AR 15 would you recommend for weekend plinking - nothing fancy or expensive---just good and reliable.  Some say Eagle Arms, others Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#2]
To me “Plinking” means recreational shooting: cans, old bottles, turtles at the pond and the like.  I’d get a Ruger 10/22 you can pick one up cheep, the ammo is cheep and magazines are cheep.  It’s a much simpler mechanism and is less prone to misfeeding than a low end AR-15.  Of course the 22LR is a lot less powerful than the .223 rem
If I can’t convince you to get a 10/22 spent about 650-750 for a good AR.  It’s less expensive in the long run because you won’t have to pay a gunsmith to fix your rifle.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I have an Oly Arms "Plinker" model, for only $570, and it shoots great!

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#4]
The best "plinker", as far as center fire rifle that i have, is a marlin 9mm carbine.....cheaper to shoot than a 22mag, and almost the same thing as the 10-22......[:)]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I would also suggest a 10/22. I have a heavy barreled 10/22 and I love shooting it. Accurate and reliable. The ammo IS cheap but the mags are god awful expensive for anything over ten rounds.

A good inexpensive ar is a hard thing to find. I built one that works great but some seem to have problems w/ homebuilts. I like the Bushmasters from personal use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top