Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 7:58:25 AM EDT
I need to find out if it is accectable to just go out in the forest and find a good place to shoot or if you are required to go to the range.
Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need to find out if it is accectable to just go out in the forest and find a good place to shoot or if you are required to go to the range.
Thanks for any help.
View Quote

It damn well better not be.  I have done a lot of shooting all over that forest.  You can shoot out there as long as you are at least 400(or is it now 600) yards away from any occupied dwelling or camp.  As a matter of fact, my wife and I were out camping in the northern part of the forest in southern Putnam county when a deputy came up to our camp.  I had my AR-15 leaning on a tree next to me and he didn't even say a word about it.  He was actually looking for someone he had seen speeding on a nearby road who had ditched his car just a little ways from our camp.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:30:16 AM EDT
[#2]
!!!!!!!!!!!
OMG!
Ocala National Forest??
I can camp AND shoot????????????????
YEEHAW!!!!
I'm getting TIRED of shooting rifles at the indoor range....
More info!
the florida park website was pretty useless,I could not find shooting legality info for the parks there....
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#3]
WHOA, hold on now... the info I got was absolutely opposite, so it might be 'open for interpretation' by whomever decides to show up on you.
I called the Forest Service guys and they said no way. Then I went into the office by Silver Springs, the tourist info place run by the F.S. or State Park or whoever, and they said 'not unless it is hunting season and you have a hunting permit for that intended purpose and the gun in your possesion is for that hunting purpose.' They went so far as to say that I couldn't even transport a loaded firearm anywhere in Ocala N.F. and the only place they were allowed is at the range, unless it was hunting season, but loaded weapons were still not allowed in cars.

Shrug. Now what?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:45:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I stand corrected.  Guns within the forest are prohibited except during hunting season.  I guess I was camping during hunting season and for that reason I was not questioned about having a rifle in camp.  

Here is a link to the hunting regulations at Ocala National Forest.
http://ocalanationalforest.net/land/hunt.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top