User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/20/2006 9:27:23 AM EDT
Barr sues Bloomberg on behalf of gun dealer

The Associated Press
Published on: 07/20/06

Former U.S. Rep. Bob Barr filed a lawsuit against New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg Thursday, claiming his attempt to crack down on gun dealers was "careless, willful and clearly illegal."

The legal action, filed in Cobb County Superior Court, is in response to a federal lawsuit filed by Bloomberg in May alleging that 15 firearm brokers in five states, including Georgia, were "rogue gun dealers."

Barr said his client, Smyrna gun dealer Adventure Outdoors, was deceived and defamed by Bloomberg's lawsuit. His lawsuit seeks $400 million in damages.

"We didn't start this fight. They did," Barr told a cheering crowd in Marietta's city square. "But we intend to finish it and win."

Bloomberg's lawsuit claims that the dealer sold 21 guns over a seven-year period that were used in New York crimes. The shop's owner, Jay Wallace, said his name has been "trashed in the public eye of the nation."

"I've run my business with honesty and integrity, and I take pride in being part of the firearm industry," he said.

The announcement took on a patriotic tune as flag-waving supporters cheered the news of the lawsuit and danced.

"We will fight to prove the Constitution of the United States is still intact, and that Mr. Bloomberg's fight to abolish the Second Amendment must and will fail," said Edwin Marger, a Jasper lawyer who filed the lawsuit with Barr.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/cobb/stories/0720metgunshop.html
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:28:16 AM EDT
[#1]

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:33:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Bloomberg was a democRat before he became a RINO
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is the thing about his having 21 guns show up in NYC true?

Does it matter?

How many cars that have crossed state lines are used in DUI-injuries and homicides in New Yawk?

Why not go after Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda and all the other car manufacturers for making such high-speed assault-cars?

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:38:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Glad someone is fighting back, a gunstore here in town was included in that whole mess.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:39:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So, three guns per year wound up in NYC.

Not only is that a pretty small amount, if they were sold to *legal* buyers in a *legal* manner...everybody can kiss his ass.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#7]

dupe.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=483910

P.S.: this is my first called dupe, EVER!
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:42:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I've bought two pistols from that store, and both times they were super anal about the forms being filled out precisely.  They are a good store.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#9]
21 guns over 7 years?

3 guns per year involved in crimes in NYC?

Out of how many crimes in NYC?

I'm sure it makes and interesting headline, but it's statisticaly unimportant.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:46:24 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

How many cars that have crossed state lines are used in DUI-injuries and homicides in New Yawk?

Why not go after Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda and all the other car manufacturers for making such high-speed assault-cars?

Well, let me tell you how things work for real. A gangsta has his girlfriend go to a southern state buy a shitload of Raven, Lorcins or other craptastic guns then he resells them here to his gangbanger buddies. A variation on the theme is now having dopey college kids in the south buy guns then illegally resell them up here for thugs. Selling guns to The Boot Camp Gang doesn't make you a patriot.

Unless you can prove that the gunshop sold the guns KNOWING they were going to be used in a crime or KNEW it was a straw purchase, you ain't got shit...

Good for them I hope they win
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 9:58:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

Well, let me tell you how things work for real. A gangsta has his girlfriend go to a southern state buy a shitload of Raven, Lorcins or other craptastic guns then he resells them here to his gangbanger buddies. A variation on the theme is now having dopey college kids in the south buy guns then illegally resell them up here for thugs. Selling guns to The Boot Camp Gang doesn't make you a patriot.

Three guns a year out of THOUSANDs (we are talking about a major dealer here) does not make one a rouge dealer.

The BATFE, whom all these traces had to be done through, tracks what dealers have a higher percentage of thier guns end up in crimes and targets them. Evidently they were not statisticly signifigant enough for the BATFE to take action.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

THREE FUCKING GUNS A YEAR!!!!

That's a "shitload" to you!???

And how is that any different than someone using a fake ID to buy alcohol for their underage friends to go drinking and wind up killing dozens of innocent people in DUIs every year in New Yawk? So you wanna go sue Budweiser, Seagrams and 7-11 because CRIMINALS misuse their products???

Whatsamattawityou!??

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:03:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Good. I hope Barr has the ducks lined up to nail Bloomies head to stump.

I hate gun grabbers.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:04:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

And how is that any different than someone using a fake ID to buy alcohol for their underage friends to go drinking and wind up killing dozens of innocent people in DUIs every year in New Yawk? So you wanna go sue Budweiser, Seagrams and 7-11 because CRIMINALS misuse their products???

Whatsamattawityou!??

+1  Did DU hack Aimless' account?
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#17]
It would be nice, if Bloomberg got slapped for filing frivilous suits.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

So you approve of Bloomberg's actions then?

And you are Site Staff? WTF???
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

No, not that guy you dope, there were something like 30 guns seized all purchased within the same month from the same place.  You equate selling booze to high school kids to selling guns to an organized gang?

I know a place where you can go anytime you want, buy handguns right from the FFL even though you are a NY state resident, using a NY state driver's license and bring them back and resell them. Those places are going to result in new federal gun laws some day, if they aren't stopped on a local level they'll get stopped on a federal level.

Utter crap. Because people are getting away with straw purchases, you approve of Bloombergs ban on ALL legal sales and crossing State lines to go after perfectly legal dealers in other States?

Again, WTF???
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:20:07 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

Whatsamattawityou!??

No, not that guy you dope, there were something like 30 guns seized all purchased within the same month from the same place.

You started this inanity with this question: "Is the thing about his having 21 guns show up in NYC true? That was referring to the 3-per-year over the past 7 years mentioned in the opening article.

Now you're switching it to a completely different story about 30 guns bought in one month!? You're debate-fu sucks.

You equate selling booze to high school kids to selling guns to an organized gang?

Far more people die from DUIs than from gang-killings.

The "logic" that you and Bloomberg want to use to go after gun-dealers falls apart when used on ANYTHING other than gun-dealers (like liquor stores, car-dealers, etc.) which makes it painfully clear that the issue in New Yawk is not about reducing killing and crime - it's simply just about putting gun-dealers out of business - period.

I know a place where you can go anytime you want, buy handguns right from the FFL even though you are a NY state resident, using a NY state driver's license and bring them back and resell them. Those places are going to result in new federal gun laws some day, if they aren't stopped on a local level they'll get stopped on a federal level.

And I know LOTS of places where kids can get alcohol with NO ID and then go drive drunk and kill thousands of more people than gangbangers do every year.

Like I said, this Bloomberg/NewYawker bullshit has nothing to do with stopping crime or reducing deaths - it's about putting gun-dealers out of business and getting rid of guns.

"I don't care about crime, I just want to get the guns."
~ Sen. Howard Metzenbaum

Hasn't changed one bit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

Whatsamattawityou!??

No, not that guy you dope, there were something like 30 guns seized all purchased within the same month from the same place.  You equate selling booze to high school kids to selling guns to an organized gang?

Sounds like a great reason to attempt to destroy the gun industry and ignore the lawful commerce in arms act.

Look, it will all shake out in court.  If there is evidence that Bloomberg is correct, then that will kill the defamation suit.  If Bloomberg in incorrect, then he should pay through the nose for willingly targeting innocent individuals for destruction.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Where will the settlement damages come from?  Bloomberg or the NY taxpayers?
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#25]
But ya'll gotta remember - its not the validity of the crime, its the seriousness of the charge!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#26]
I find it hard to believe something like this is even being debated on a gun board. Apparently, those who say the NRA is too willing to give in haven't visited here.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

dupe.

+d00p!
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:25:23 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

Whatsamattawityou!??

No, not that guy you dope, there were something like 30 guns seized all purchased within the same month from the same place.

You started this inanity with this question: "Is the thing about his having 21 guns show up in NYC true? That was referring to the 3-per-year over the past 7 years mentioned in the opening article.

Now you're switching it to a completely different story about 30 guns bought in one month!? You're debate-fu sucks.

You equate selling booze to high school kids to selling guns to an organized gang?

The "logic" that you and Bloomberg want to use to go after gun-dealers falls apart when used on ANYTHING other than gun-dealers (like liquor stores, car-dealers, etc.) which makes it painfully clear that the issue in New Yawk is not about reducing killing and crime - it's simply just about putting gun-dealers out of business - period.

And I know LOTS of places where kids can get alcohol with NO ID and then go drive drunk and kill thousands of more people than gangbangers do every year.

Like I said, this Bloomberg/NewYawker bullshit has nothing to do with stopping crime or reducing deaths - it's about putting gun-dealers out of business and getting rid of guns.

~ Sen. Howard Metzenbaum

Hasn't changed one bit.

Okay so selling guns to gang bangers is the same as selling booze to high school kids?

He never claimed that it was the same, in fact, he made a good point that booze to teens is WORSE!

RIF
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:26:05 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it matter?

WTF!???

Are you on dope???

Whatsamattawityou!??

~ Sen. Howard Metzenbaum

Hasn't changed one bit.
Okay so selling guns to gang bangers is the same as selling booze to high school kids?

And suing gun-dealers for criminal misuse of guns is logical but suing car-dealers for criminal misuse of cars is nonsense.

Mmkay.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:26:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like a great reason to attempt to destroy the gun industry and ignore the lawful commerce in arms act.

Look, it will all shake out in court.  If there is evidence that Bloomberg is correct, then that will kill the defamation suit.  If Bloomberg in incorrect, then he should pay through the nose for willingly targeting innocent individuals for destruction.

Bloomberg's case will get dismissed on appeal, however if Weinstein gets it could end up going forward since he'll just ignore the federal law anyways. Unless the gunshop has insurance coverage for this,which I doubt as it is probably not covered, they will be bankrupted by a lawsuit in NYC even if they win, unless they're a pretty large shop

Hence the reason for the Barr lawsuit.  One side will blink, and I think I know which side it will be since one side is apparently playing for keeps.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:30:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably NYC taxpayers as he said it in the course of his duties as mayor.

That certainly won't endear him to the public if he loses.

I know that Daley would be raked over the coals in Chicago, as liberal as it is, if he cost the city 400 mil on a frivolous lawsuit which only a very vocal minority supports.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bloomberg's case will get dismissed on appeal, however if Weinstein gets it could end up going forward since he'll just ignore the federal law anyways. Unless the gunshop has insurance coverage for this,which I doubt as it is probably not covered, they will be bankrupted by a lawsuit in NYC even if they win, unless they're a pretty large shop

And the Antis and Lawyers win again! W00t!!

Like I said, this has NOTHING to do with addressing the problem of gangs in New Yawk - it's about getting rid of guns by getting rid of legitimate gun-dealers even if simply burying them in legal fees.

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:31:58 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:32:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:33:26 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

dupe.

Dupe, I saw a guy say that the other day
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:34:07 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

It is my understanding that Bloomberg is being sued personally.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:35:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:47:52 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is my understanding that Bloomberg is being sued personally.

Yeah but he did in the course of his duties as mayor. If  NYC cop accidently rear ends you there you would sue him personally in addition to suing the city, but the city would pick up the tab, I doubt this will cost Bloomberg a penny, not that he would care anyways.

Possibly, but such indemnification usually collapses should the indemnified party engage in something like a criminal conspiracy as has been alleged in this case.  There are limits in all indemnification clauses and those limits usually involve good judgement, relying on experts, and obeying the law.  The operation in Georgia was conducted without the knowledge or consent of local or federal authorities and involved deliberately lying on a 4473 among other things.  If Bloomberg had knowledge of this, even after the fact, and condoned it, even with his silence, it's possible that his shield could be pierced.

Given the volume of sales that Adventure Outdoors does, 21 guns over 7 years are so few as to be statistically insignificant.  Hell, maybe they were ALL illegal purchases by crooked NYPD officers running back and forth to their vacation homes in Florida.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:54:57 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Wait til Spitzer gets into office, he'll make Bloomberg look like Charlton Heston.

Wait till New York Republicans lose the Senate in (maybe) 2 more election cycles and the whole state legislature goes Democratic. Maybe you'll get lucky and only get mandatory ownership permits and registration of your prebans and ban compliant semi-autos.

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:59:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Good!!! Finally a Senator with some balls!!!
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:01:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes, they were sting purchases.  NYPD came down and hired a local PI firm to provide a local woman to accompany the undercover officer to the stores.  He acted as if he was helping her select a firearm, etc.  She consumated the purchase, filled out the 4473, swore that she was the end user.  Being local, she passed the background check.  The cop got it all on a mini-cam.  She was using NYPD money and later, I guess, gave the gun to the cop as evidence.  No criminal charges were ever brought against the FFL.  The civil case was brought on the notion that the FFL, based on the circumstances, should have suspected it was a straw purchase.

Variations of this were done by these NYPD teams throughout the South, at dozens of gun stores, all of which were sued by Bloomberg.  Adventure Outdoors just decided to fight back.

Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:14:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:20:24 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes, they were sting purchases.  NYPD came down and hired a local PI firm to provide a local woman to accompany the undercover officer to the stores.  He acted as if he was helping her select a firearm, etc.  She consumated the purchase, filled out the 4473, swore that she was the end user.  Being local, she passed the background check.  The cop got it all on a mini-cam.  She was using NYPD money and later, I guess, gave the gun to the cop as evidence.  No criminal charges were ever brought against the FFL.  The civil case was brought on the notion that the FFL, based on the circumstances, should have suspected it was a straw purchase.

Variations of this were done by these NYPD teams throughout the South, at dozens of gun stores, all of which were sued by Bloomberg.  Adventure Outdoors just decided to fight back.

Spitzer himself tried some weird gun buy thing himself with a camera hidden in a Cat in the Hat type hat or in some kind of big bag.

That lawsuit sounds fairly useless, I'm sure I've done the same thing with my girlfriend, don't tell bloomberg though.

It doesn't appear that the store did anything wrong in selling her the gun, therefore it is not a "sting".  She and the NYPD should be prosecuted for "straw purchase" though since they conspired to buy a gun through her with no intention of it being her gun.  Last I checked, she wasn't family.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Unless you can prove that the gunshop sold the guns KNOWING they were going to be used in a crime or KNEW it was a straw purchase, you ain't got shit...

Good for them I hope they win

Bloomberg can't prove that.  He knows that and doesn't care.  His intent isn't to prove that any of these stores knowingly made an illegal sale.  He is simply trying to force these stores to spend large sums of money to defend themselves against the suit and drive them out of business.  He is also trying to scare other gun dealers out of the business with the threat of more lawsuits.
Link Posted: 7/20/2006 11:36:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top