Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 5:28:35 PM EDT
Australia has been using the Steyr AUG as it's standard issue rifle for a rather long time, now they are adopting the G-36. I was thinking someone should set up a buissness to take dismantled Austrailian AUGs. import them into the US, and build them on american receivers. The way I understood the reason that this hasn't been perviously done was the lack of parts, but with the Australian surplus I don't think that would be a problem. Also, I'm not sure if the AUG's body would count as a conspicous pistol grip, so maybe they wouldn't have to take the flash hiders off.

I may be way off base, but it's just an idea I've been kicking around

[rail]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Steyr factory tooling is for sale. The price is $250,000. One could theroreticaly buy the tooling and start their own US based business. Domestic post ban Steyrs could have the preban pistol grip(1 feature), high magazine capacity and interchangable barrel(not an AW feature.) The primary difference between the preban and the US post ban would be lack of flash hider.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You get them made here and I'll buy one.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Aight, that sounds like a plan, we should start a fund on this sight to raise money, and do a group purchase to start producing AUG [:D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you that the foreign parts kit would be a pain-in-the-a*s.  Not only would you have to comply with the assault weapons ban, you'd have to ensure that 51% of the gun was US made to comply with 922(r).  PLUS, they wouldn't allow you to import the barrels; you'd have to fabricate those yourself.

The better idea would be to get the tooling and create them here.  No 922(r), no barrel worries, etc.  You'd just make them yourself and be done with it.

But, would the mag prices rise!!!!!

...Bah, it'd still be worth it.  [^]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:47:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, let's see how this plan works -

Of course, you can't import the receivers.  Then there's the stock - hmmm.... that's no good - evil pistol grips and everything.  And the barrels have flash hiders so you can't use those.  The bolt carriers and trigger pack are machine gun parts, so those are out.  And don't forget the magazines - they can't come in, either.

So after it's all over, it looks like you'll be importing a bunch of really expensive owner's manuals.  Good luck with your new venture!! [:P]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Um--

Assuming that the AUGs magazines are at least as strong as the M16s (if not solvent proof), doesn't that suggest that the walls of the AUG mags should be dimensionally thicker than those of the M16?  

That would mean that some goofy bolt-on adaptor might allow the AUG to feed from  M16 mags, which are horribly rare, but would give us an alternative.  

This doesn't seem like a huge stumbling block.
I was under the delusion that SDP itself had manufactured an adapter to use M16 type mags, but my 1986 issue of Guns didn't indicate this.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:50:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, let's see how this plan works -

Of course, you can't import the receivers.  Then there's the stock - hmmm.... that's no good - evil pistol grips and everything.  And the barrels have flash hiders so you can't use those.  The bolt carriers and trigger pack are machine gun parts, so those are out.  And don't forget the magazines - they can't come in, either.
View Quote

Weell, in REALITY, if the mags could be proved to have been manufactured before the ban, they could come in. It's not illegal to import pistol grips...if it were, we couldn't get G3, STG58 or AK parts kits. And the barrels could have the flash hiders cut off and replaced with a muzzle brake.
Wanna rethink that post?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:22:59 PM EDT
[#8]
maybe we should go over to special weapons and get todd the toad on this, OH wait, N/M, i forgot you DIDNT want them to be hacked up turd guns.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:54:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Australia.....G36...????  Not to rain on your parade guys but as best I can tell, this is not happening.....F88 (Aussie AUG) is here to stay...the ADF is scrapeing to get money for anything....but I am sure enough to bet my left nut that they won't be replacing the F88s for some years.

The chook stranglers (SAS) may get some but that would be about it.

Besides...they are not of the quality that you expect from a Steyr product.

Andy
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:00:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Build a time machine.
Go back in time and
elect the right people.

[(:|)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top