Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2006 3:55:13 AM EDT
Does anybody know where I might find a list of handgun permits issued in GA?
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 3:58:34 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Nice first post!
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:00:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nice first post!

Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:01:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, is there such a list available to public?
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:03:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you mean what types of permits are issued, or a list of people who have permits?

if it's the first, I only know of one type, but there may be a special type for private investigators or private security people.  I don't think there is, though.

If it's the second, that information is strictly confidential, which is a very good thing.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:03:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

No.  Sorry, but the list is not available to the public.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:05:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

what's with all the new recruits from DU lately?

Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because you don't like his question doesn't mean he's a DU troll.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:08:31 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

"This is one of those times where you need to be very clear about what you say next."
-Vin Diesel
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:09:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Looking for a home burglary list?

Better be careful, or you might end up ventilated
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:13:00 AM EDT
[#10]
a list of people who have permits. I bought a gun about 10 years ago, divorced, ex kept the gun, and I would like to know if it is still in my name.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:13:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

There shouldn't be.

Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:14:53 AM EDT
[#12]
tag for the entertainment value
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:17:43 AM EDT
[#13]
height=8
Quoted:
a list of people who have permits. I bought a gun about 10 years ago, divorced, ex kept the gun, and I would like to know if it is still in my name.

Georgia Firearms Licenses are issued by county Probate Courts, not the state.

A license is not required to purchase or posses a firearm.  It is only required to carry it on your person while not on your private property.

Firearms are not listed on the license.

Any records of license holders are kept by the counties.

A gun isn't necessarily "in your name."  It's yours until you give it away or sell it to someone, like anything else you own.

Check http://www.georgiapacking.org for more info.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:18:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Guns in Georgia aren't registered at all, unless they are NFA items (machine guns, sawed-off shotguns, etc).  There would be a record of the sale, but beyond that, there is no record of owners or who owns what guns.

The only permits Georgia issues are concealed-carry permits, which is what we assumed you were asking about.  Those permits only list the name of the person authorized to carry, not any specific guns they own or can carry.

Welcome to Arfcom!  
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:20:08 AM EDT
[#15]
The Georgia Firearms License does not list the type/caliber of any weapons owned/possessed.  
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:20:25 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just because you don't like his question doesn't mean he's a DU troll.

no, it doesn't, but there seems to be a LOT of these kinds of questions lately. like the guy the other day that insisted "if you have a suppressor you are [obviously] either a murderer, or are going to murder someone, since they have no other uses..."

i was making a 1/2 joke in reference to all the recent occurrences.

Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:20:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Unless you had to obtain a permit to purchase the weapon, no. The forms you fill out when you purchase a gun are not a permit, but are for a mandatory background check. That form also has the serial number of the firearm on it in case the BATFE needs to trace the weapon.

Unless your ex lives in a place with mandatory firearms registration (as in New York City) then there is no requirement for her to register the weapon.

The weapon is not "in your name" in the sense that a car or a home is "in your name". The firearm is associated with your name on the federal forms you filled out to purchase the weapon (assuming that you bought the firearm from a federally licensed dealer...) but that isn't a big deal. Even if the weapon turns up in a violent crime and the BATFE begins their trace by point of sale, you can easily explain that you lost the gun in the divorce and that is pretty much the end of it.

If I understand your statement properly, then there is no public record of your ex having your gun whatsoever, unless the firearm was mentioned as a part of divorce documents.
Link Posted: 7/7/2006 4:22:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
no, it doesn't, but there seems to be a LOT of these kinds of questions lately. like the guy the other day that insisted "if you have a suppressor you are [obviously] either a murderer, or are going to murder someone, since they have no other uses..."

i was making a 1/2 joke in reference to all the recent occurrences.

I must have missed that trend.  Yes, that example is a dumb statement.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top