Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 1:49:20 PM EDT
Australians can always find loopholes.  Take note boys!

[b]HIGH-POWERED guns are being routinely mailed from overseas in pieces and reassembled by Australian criminals, making a mockery of efforts to control firearms and limit violent crime.

Police officers have been told to be on alert for hand guns that have been transformed into powerful machine pistols using imported parts that could be delivered through the regular mail system.

A memo to NSW police officers warns that hand guns seized during a major investigation of weapons-trafficking can fire up to 20 rounds in seconds.

A police commissioner has alerted The Australian's Dossier team to the ease of skirting Australian gun laws with imported parts, sometimes as small as an envelope, stating: "You don't need too much imagination to import these things into the country.

"If you said, `here's a bunch of Ford Falcon parts', most Customs inspectors wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a carburettor and a part for a gun."

The number of guns and their parts undermines the Howard Government's strengthening of firearms laws after the Port Arthur massacre in 1996.

State, territory and commonwealth governments only recently moved to tighten hand-gun laws, restricting their importation, sale and movement around the country.

Shootings have dramatically increased recently, doubling in the past two years to about 100 in NSW alone.

"One of the problems is that the gangsters ... are very young and, whereas a few years ago they were rolling people in parks and taking their Reeboks and mobile phones, now they are shooting them," one officer said.

National Crime Authority general manager of operations Adrien Whidett said cheap parts were imported from South-East Asia and then sold for hiked prices after being reassembled. Mr Whidett told The Australian some gun parts were now plastic, making detection even harder.

"There are a lot of counterfeit firearms made in Asia of popular weapons that the Americans churn out. They are probably not as sophisticated, but they kill nevertheless," Mr Whidett said.

The NCA's concerns are echoed by NSW Crime Commission chairman Phillip Bradley, who said gun-smuggling was becoming more financially attractive.

"The mark-up is such that it is more profitable than drugs and less risky because of the penalties involved," he said.

Last week's warning in NSW Police Weekly said Glock pistols were seized during the investigation into gun trafficking. The pistols had a slide with buttons inserted in the end -- holding down the lock that stops the weapon firing automatically.

"They'll put 14 rounds into you in two seconds," one senior officer said. "It's scary stuff."

The NSW Firearms Trafficking Unit has seized more than 440 guns since 1999, including 151 pistols, four machine guns and a rocket launcher.[/b]

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Stubbs, thanks for bringing this to our attention, however i believe someone has taken you for a fool.

There simply can't be any guns in Australia silly! They're illegal.

Sheesh, they solved that problem a while back.

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not all guns are banned, IIRC. Only semi auto and pump shotguns are banned. I think bolt actions and single/double SG are still allowed, along with semi-auto handguns.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:15:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Can someone [b]send me[/b] some car parts?
In Canada the french call them [b]"auto"[/b]
I just can't get them from [b]Sears[/b]!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:35:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:40:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Same thing happens in Britain. If it is a felony to have a gun, you might as well carry a Krinkov.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Not all guns are banned, IIRC. Only semi auto and pump shotguns are banned. I think bolt actions and single/double SG are still allowed, along with semi-auto handguns.
View Quote

Nope.  All semi-auto and pumps are banned.  Handguns are a big no-no.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Nope.  All semi-auto and pumps are banned.  Handguns are a big no-no.
View Quote

That is correct.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
That is not what 1feral1 said. Handguns are still legal.  Including his wifes Browning High Power. With hi caps. Go send him a e-mail and ask him.

Austrailian gun laws are really nonsensical now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:47:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I love getting stuff in the Mail. especially when people [b]send me[/b] car parts [b]using one day shipping[/b]. My car even has a [b]high capacity[/b] gas tank and chromed [b]mags[/b]. Since my cars parts are so hard to get [b]I am willing to pay 3 - 4 times the going value[/b].

[:)]

Canada, Australian for Australia
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Hi guys...here in Aus you can still own a handgun provided that it is registered and that you are licenced for it...(that is very simplistic but the case)...the whole process takes ages akin to yout class 3 stuff.
Bolt guns and dbl barrel etc are still legal but also registered.

Ford Falcon is a current production vehicle here in Skippyland.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:38:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Those Americans, always "churning out guns"

BTW - Who would want a Glock (Austrian) or any hand gun that empties the magazine with one squeeze of the trigger? What if you had to engage multiple targets? "Gangstas" are stupid but Australian Gangstas must be really stupid.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:25:14 AM EDT
[#18]
"You can have my Ford Falcon when you pry its steering wheel from my dead, cold hands"

For some reason, that would make a very odd bumper sticker....lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:50:25 AM EDT
[#19]
This is clearly shown that guns control does not work.  Only the criminals will have guns, and they will do anything to have them. Imagine if total guns ban happens here in the U.S, we will see more of these and in much more ways.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Hi guys...here in Aus you can still own a handgun provided that it is registered and that you are licenced for it...(that is very simplistic but the case)...the whole process takes ages akin to yout class 3 stuff.
Bolt guns and dbl barrel etc are still legal but also registered.

Ford Falcon is a current production vehicle here in Skippyland.

View Quote

I am going to (of course) assume you are right.  That being true, I am confused.  According to all the NRA videos I've seen, and stuff I've read, [i]all[/i] semi auto, pump, and handguns are illegal.  

What is legal/illegal then?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:05:06 PM EDT
[#21]
OK in a nut shell....you can own whater ever you want and can locate that is registered and for sale...!!  The catch is that you have to hold the appropriate class of licence for it and show "good cause" why you need it.....semi-auto rifles and shotguns, pump shotguns, and automatic weapons are all but impossible to be a licence for..and if you do...(say for vertibrate (sp) pest eradication)...you have to show that you still require it each year.

Bolt/Pump centrefire rifles, bolt shotguns, double barrel, single shot etc fall int catagory B, you can own them as long as you have a licence of that catagory...(member of hunting club, shooting club, or written permission from a property owner that you hunt on his land).  Rimfire/air rifles are much the same but held on a class A licence.

Handguns....you can own pretty much what handguns you want....you MUST be a member of a pistol club....you must compete 12 times a year....you CANNOT take a handgun ANYWHERE except Police Station, Pistol Club or a dealer.  It must be fitted with a trigger lock and ammunition must be locked in a metal container.

There are exceptions to these rules...security companies....a few people who can carry for self defence..dealers and such....but for the average Joe that is the score.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top