Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2001 2:24:44 PM EDT
I have an older Winchester M70,(post '64) in .243 that I'd like to camo, from head to toe. I plan on this being permanent. What should I use? Any tips, or suggestions would be appreciated. By the way, the stock is walnut. Scope is also getting painted- well, not the lenses anyway [:D]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:35:36 PM EDT
[#1]
1st off, don't use any of that cloth tape crap. I used it on my shot gun for duck season and the stuff holds moisture.  When I took it off, F***ING RUST WAS ON MY GUN!  Never again.

That walnut stock sounds pretty sweet though.  It would be a shame to cover it up.  If you want to do a permanent cammo job, see if there are any available synthetic stocks for it.  Keep the walnut stock as is.  I suggest using some of those commercially available commo paints.  They are somewhat permanent, and you could always remove it if you don't like it later.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#2]
bilster,

Ignorance speaking here.  When I hear someone say get cammo paint from the store, I get this vision of spraying from a can and it comes out cammo (like a cartoon).  Now I know that ain't so.

If someone wanted to cammo an AR, what is the deal?  Multiple cans of paint (green, dif green and black?), and does the stuff come off later if you want it to?

I've seen a few cammoed guns and always wondered about this stuff.

James
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#3]
American Shooter showed how the factories do it - they float a sheet of camo material in hot water and dip the part - the sheet envelopes the part and shrinks to fit.

Seeing Bushmaster's camo gun this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised it that is how they did it.

Now - where to get the sheet......
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:46:00 PM EDT
[#4]
American Shooter showed how the factories do it - they float a sheet of camo material in hot water and dip the part - the sheet envelopes the part and shrinks to fit.

Seeing Bushmaster's camo gun this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised it that is how they did it.

Now - where to get the sheet......
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:50:55 PM EDT
[#5]
James

I cannot remmember the brand name, but the stuff comes in both spray cans of the usual cammo colors and small jars or cans to use brushes with.  It is removable.  There are also leaf pattern stencils available too.

Mach1

I hope this info is helpfull to you too.

Bilster
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:04:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
James

I cannot remmember the brand name, but the stuff comes in both spray cans of the usual cammo colors and small jars or cans to use brushes with.  It is removable.  There are also leaf pattern stencils available too.

Mach1

I hope this info is helpfull to you too.

Bilster
View Quote

Is it Bowflage you are thinking of?  Bowflage is removeable.

I recently camoed a rifle.  A couple basic tips are to make sure throughly clean and degrease the gun..I used Birchwood Casey's Gunscrubber.  Don't get it around the o-ring seals on your scope!
For paint I used Hunter Specialties spray paint.  It's all I could find around my area.  Olive Drab, Brown, Black, and Khaki.
And be sure to scuff up the stock good (actually, any smooth surface), otherwise the paint will not adhere.  The metal on my gun was a matte similiar to parkerizing, so that was all good.
The stuff I got is an enamel.  It has held up pretty well so far.  The inevitable nicks and scratches can be touched up easily.
As far as the pattern goes...I am still experimenting.  I am going to pick leaves off use some of the more common foliage varieties in my area as stencils I think.

Hope that helps...
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:09:15 PM EDT
[#7]
This is the look I'm going for.
[img]www.cctrap.com/~varmint/sako.jpg[/img]

This guy did it to his Sako rifle. He says deer don't care about fancy stocks- nor, do I. All I know, is that my rifle/scope reflects the sun like Homer Simpson's head. My buddy last year, said he could see the reflection off my rifle from 500yds away. Not good.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Krylon makes matte spray paints in khaki, olive drab and brown for painting camo patterns.  I painted a scoped bolt action .22 in a free hand desert camo and it doesn't look too bad.  It doesn't look like one of the nice complex camo patterns, but it looks decent.  Not quite as nice as the picture Mach1 posted, but I'm also not much of an artist.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:25:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Rustoleum also makes camo spray paint, which held up well on my '69 Blazer. I painted the stock on my M1A with the camo brown because the black stock it came with looked kinda cheesy as it was, and WTF, it was cheaper than buying a wood stock (just not as pretty).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top