Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2001 9:02:49 PM EDT
Lets say its the end of the world: A true survival situation for the long term.  All you have is one reliable semi-automatic rifle.  It'll be used for everything; hunting game, self protection, armed conflict, you name it.  Question is, which type of ammo would you have stored up before the crunch? Why?
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:13:06 PM EDT
[#1]
For me the single rifle would be one of my AR so I would horde 55gr. FMJ.  Actually I already do.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:24:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If money was no object, I would want a two component bullet like the Winchester FailSafe.  It would do a better job of performing on both soft and hard targets than either FMJ, or HP. But it isn't available in .223, if that is your chosen weapon.  Why not just stock up on some components so you can load what you need.  No single load is going to do the best job in all situations.  

Here is the specs for the .308 Winchester bullets and a link to their site.  [url]www.winchester.com[/url]

308 Winchester
150 gr. Supreme® Fail Safe®  
Ballistic Coefficient: 0.314  Product Symbol: S308XA

Supreme® Fail Safe®: Solid, copper-alloy nose with notched hollow point cavity, combined with a lead core protected by a steel insert, delivers deep penetration and uniform, controlled expansion with virtual 100% bullet weight retention.
Description: Delayed, controlled expansion. Deep penetration through thick, tough skin, heavy muscle tissue and bone. For large, heavy game.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:31:10 PM EDT
[#3]
FMJ, or even better SS109's
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Why not just stock up on some components so you can load what you need.  No single load is going to do the best job in all situations.  

View Quote

Yes...because we all know how easy it is to strap thousands of pounds of reloading presses and equipment to your back in a survival situation.  Good Choice!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:45:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:48:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why not just stock up on some components so you can load what you need.  No single load is going to do the best job in all situations.  

View Quote

Yes...because we all know how easy it is to strap thousands of pounds of reloading presses and equipment to your back in a survival situation.  Good Choice!
View Quote

Ever hear of a Lee Load All kit?  Its no bigger than a paperback.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Ever hear of a Lee Load All kit?  Its no bigger than a paperback.
View Quote

Plus the bullets, plus the powder, plus some extra dies, blus a bag full of brass and primers, plus...

You see where I'm going with this.  The entire point of .223 was to be carried in large amounts without encumberance.  This just complicates the process.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:42:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Just keep buying FMJ.  If you like .223, then buy .55gr FMJ from Feferal it is good stuff and pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:04:00 PM EDT
[#10]
FMJ, with maybe a hundred hunting bullets for good measure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top