Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 4:00:45 PM EDT
Hey guys.I was wondering if you guys take your AR-15 rifles out when you camp/hike.Do people freak out when they see you walking down a trail with a "big,bad,black assualt rifle"?
I plan to take mine out when I go later this year,when things cool down.Anybody here in Florida know of a good place to camp/hike,and are allowed to carry firearms? I'm in Orlando,for reference.Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:40:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Here in SoCal, the way we get around that is to rent out the whole campground.  We get away with shooting to our heart's content because there is no one around to complain.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about freaking out, but I sure haven't had a lot of people come up to me when I am shooting in a public area.  Especially if you wear some type of camo like a field jacket.

I would suspect that carrying your AR-15 around while at a public camping area would be frowned upon, if not illegal.  You could probably carry it on a public hunting area in your state, but I would check with the wildlife department to be sure it is OK  Unfortunately all it would take to start a "man hunt" for the "man with a black assault rifle" is one scared lady.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Here in hawaii, with all the salt air, never. Maybe a mini
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Anybody here in Florida know of a good place to camp/hike,and are allowed to carry firearms? I'm in Orlando,for reference.Thanks!
View Quote

Maybe you can do it at Disney's Enchanted Forest.  I've heard rat hunting is real good in that area [:D]
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I usually carry a Ruger .45 in a hip holster, if permitted. I don't see the need for a long arm, unless I plan on hunting. If I were in the Alaskan bush, then I would probably carry a suitable rifle, or shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Despite the salt air (as stated by SilverSurfer) I've taken my AR out during a few hunting trips mostly in the early morning hours. During my last outing in Waianae Valley as I was hiking my way to the public hunting area a couple going for a morning walk with their dog came up from behind. My AR was slung over my back resting on top of my EAGLE 3 day pack. For some reason they stopped and turned around. Overly sensitive I suppose.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 4:26:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I take mine with me every time we go out camping. If I want to keep it "my little secret" I will just put into my British PLCE ruck pack. It is a perfect fit with my camping gear. I have to limit my barrel to the 11.5" though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:20:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Cool.Well,the thought of seeing anyone with any type of gun would freak out the standard person when on camping vacation.I'd like to camp/hike somewhere more secluded.....
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/25/2001 6:33:46 AM EDT
[#10]
that's lame how "assualt rifles" are discriminated against.I mean,they are the most fun!
yet these places seem to have no problems with "hunting/sportsman" rifles which shoot elephant/dinosaur cartriges.I mean,what's up with that.Hate crime! discrimination in one of it's many forms....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top