Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2001 7:01:17 PM EDT
A friend at work said that he found an article on the net that said that a nuclear bomb was accidently dropped in the mouth of the Savanna river by the military.  This was supposed to have happened some time during early 1950.  For some reason it was never found.  Has anyone heard of this?  Is it a true story?
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya.  True story.  There was a mid air collision and the crippled plane couldn't land with the bomb, so they had to ditch it in the ocean.  They tried to find it, but it is burried under several feet of silt.

I read it on the drudge report, but I think the story is gone from the drudge report now.

[url]http://www.drudgereport.com/[/url]

Good luck, I found the link from an email I sent to a friend about the story:
[url]http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,2566427%5E401,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's my favorite part from the 'top secret memo':

"The weapon was then jettisoned visually over water off the mouth of the Savannah River. No detonation was observed."
View Quote

I think we could figure that out ourselves...

Link Posted: 8/23/2001 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's my favorite part from the 'top secret memo':

"The weapon was then jettisoned visually over water off the mouth of the Savannah River. No detonation was observed."
View Quote

I think we could figure that out ourselves...

View Quote

I like the "jettisoned visually" part. WTF?
Sorta like saying "crapped aurally".

This is evidently a true story that the gov't only recently admitted to.  Seems they gave up the search early to deal with another mishap.
DOD was claiming it was not armed - lacked the detonator (actually called someting else).  Retired nuke technician said he never saw nukes being onloaded withhout that part, however.

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:15:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, a nuke in our waters is probably a whole lot less harmful than what the whacko Environmentalists are saying these days.  Have any of you heard their PSA concerning "lawn clippings"?!?!?  Basically, they say not to blow your mowed grass clippings into the sewage drains (like a lot of the lawn services do) because "the chemicals on your grass are harmful to the environment, and sewage water is untreated."  

Well, if the chemicals were harmful to damned green grass, bushes, and trees...why would I put it on there in the first place.

Sometimes I want to scream...
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:51:49 AM EDT
[#6]

I like the "jettisoned visually" part. WTF?
Sorta like saying "crapped aurally".
View Quote

The altrernative would have been dropping only on radar information.  Radar is the normal bomb dropping procedure.  

This was a B-52 in IIRC 1953.,  It was in all the papers at the time.  Old news.  It does seem a little obvious that "No detonations was observed."

As for the missing "detonator"  the bomb was complete & all the safety devices worked correctly.  It didn't go off because the switches at the pilot's and Electronic Warfare Officer's stations were not set to "arm".  Good thing.

Ex B-52 driver
Norm
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:54:31 AM EDT
[#7]
yup...here in georgia, we've known fer years!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top