Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 7:14:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't think it will effect the supply for a long time.  There are a lot of ammo cans out on the market.  I know my local surplus shop has about 2000-2500 .30 cal ammo cans and 8-900 .50 cal ammo cans.  The key I knowing the guy and he lets me upstairs into the storage room to look around. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:31:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:38:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Hmmm

So they are not making as many ammo cans as they used to?  Packing range ammo in boxes and shrink-wrap?  Or are they producing more ammo than before and there are not enough ammo cans to go around.

Come to think about it,  how do we get the ammo cans?  Does the Government only use them once than surplus them away?

I'm always looking to get another 2 or 3 ammo cans at every show I go to.  I need more 30's right now.  Sniperm88,  I'm going to try to go to that shop this weekend.  See what bargains they have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:45:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:45:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Come to think about it,  how do we get the ammo cans?  Does the Government only use them once than surplus them away?
View Quote

I once spoke with a person selling military surplus stuff, and he says that the govt sells huge pallets/lots of equipment.  Sometimes you don't know what you bought, until take it home and unpack it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Warlord.. Wow.

I remember last year someone posted something about buying a large pallet of ammo cans at Fort Pickett for something like 150 dollars.  I think there would be about 100 ammo cans in each pallet.   I remember thinking, I'll never need that many.  Well, I'm up to about 40 cans now. [:)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Many ammo cans come direct from the manufacturer.  They often have 'quality control' issues and then put them on the open market.  I personally think the can manufacturer rejects a batch of them on some minor technicality on purpose just because they can get more $ (or 'pocket' money) in public sales.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 8:58:13 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a great deal for ammo cans at the last gunshow I attented, they were good condition 50cal. cans and they were selling 5 cans for 10 dollars.    My buddy and I hoped on that in a heartbeat, no rust and they all had that airtight seal that "popped" on you when you opened them plus they had little or no dents in the can.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:11:04 AM EDT
[#9]
If the US Armed Forces drastically reduced the number of ammo cans purchased/surplused, is that really an end to our supply of these cans? Would the actual contractor continue production for civilian consumption? Also, other countries produce or use these cans. I have Malaysian .223 that came in a .50 cal. can. Radway-Green came in its own British made can (albeit cheaper looking/feeling).
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes, they are only used once.  Ammo, such as 5.56 is packaged in four pocket bandoleers inside of ammo cans.  Two ammo cans to one wooden crate.  All of this packaging is hauled down to DRMO where it is sold to the highest bidder.  If you want a lifetime supply of ammo cans and other assorted goodies, visit a DRMO site and find out when their next auction is.  I believe they have a website.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 3:31:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:20:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My search took me to this website.

http://www.surplusbid.com/index.cfm

Now if I could only make the link work!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:23:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:37:20 PM EDT
[#14]
they are right drmo is going contract and all sales will be restricted threw the new contractor.
I take stuff there on a weekly basis and going there tommorrow and will see what the latest is.

about the last 3 or 4 months here you could still bid on the cans but they had no lids after someone turned in some live ammo and it was sold at auction so when you turned in a can it had to be with the lid off. sure that was local only.  I do think they will get a little more pricey but their's a ton of them out there.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate to make this suggestion without being able to do it myself, but this sounds like a good "group purchase" item. Like I said, I work way too many hours and don't have easy access to shipping vendors. Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Someone clear this up for me... I saw some plastic ammo cans. Dark brown if I remember. Where do these come from?

I saw them from a wholesale ammo dealer at one of the gun shows. They said they were having a hard time gettng the metal ones, so went to the plastic. I forgot to ask where they come from.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I doubt it is related, but some wacko politician wanted to ban ammo cans because they make excellent improvised claymore mines.  Apparently, whoever blew up that abortion clinic in GA (was it GA?) used an ammo can as an improvised mine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top