Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/22/2001 4:27:04 AM EDT
Can I purchase a Colt Government Carbine serial # is GC0213xx. I'm not a LEO. According to the serial numbers lists that I have seen only GC018500 and below are preban. This weapon is not marked LEO, but the serial number is higher than GC018500. Can I own it legally?? It has factory flash suppressor, collapsible stock, and bayo lug.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:37:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Let check the supreme law of the land (rifling through his constitution)..."the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed".

Yup, looks good to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:38:46 AM EDT
[#2]
So I can count on you in court, great!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
I STILL am positively baffeld why anyone would want to buy a Colt. Mid-range quality, high price, sell out manufacturer.

If you need a horsey symbol that bad, go out to the Walmart parking lot, find a Ford Mustang, steal the emblem off of it, and glue it to your AR.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Great idea garandman!....Do you own a Mustang?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:25:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, so far you've been a big help!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:31:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#8]
You might want to post this down in the Colt forum.

But, there were some Gov't Carbines made after the ban that Colt failed to mark as LEO.

I believe the only way you could own this is put all post-ban features on it.

Pretty sure I'm right here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#9]
There is an old saying: "When in doubt, don't do it..."

I am no lawyer, but I don't think you can.  If it is a post ban then it shouldn't have any of those evil features.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 5:56:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Call Colt at 800-962-COLT(2658). They will tell you the date of manufacture at no charge.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:02:03 AM EDT
[#11]
As stated in the '94 ban; if the weapon/magazine [i]is not marked for LEO or Gov't use, the the item is [b]assumed[/b] to be pre-ban by authorities. [/i]  

I would buy it without worry, Confederate.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:06:54 AM EDT
[#12]
No.

[url]http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/ar15serial.html[/url]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:16:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I STILL am positively baffeld why anyone would want to buy a Colt. Mid-range quality, high price, sell out manufacturer.

If you need a horsey symbol that bad, go out to the Walmart parking lot, find a Ford Mustang, steal the emblem off of it, and glue it to your AR.

Edited cuz your the wrong dude.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:21:39 AM EDT
[#14]
You need to relax.

It's called humor.  A little lighthearted inter-brand rivalry.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:54:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You need to relax.

View Quote

Wrong.  YOU need to take a more serious approach to your freedom and liberty.
[;D]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:59:07 AM EDT
[#16]
You're a little confused, huh?[:E]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Major, a whole bunch of newbie-tough-guys are going t come over and brow beat us now about our lack of interest in freedom.

Wow.  Where do they crawl out of?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:59:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You're a little confused, huh?[:E]
View Quote

Yep I just noticed that!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:03:45 AM EDT
[#19]
It is NOT marked LEO ONLY and is NOT marked -PROPERTY OF THE U.S. GOVERNMENT — so I would not worry about it. However; check with Colt and MAKE SURE to cover your ass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:04:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Major, a whole bunch of newbie-tough-guys are going t come over and brow beat us now about our lack of interest in freedom.

Wow.  Where do they crawl out of?
View Quote

Your a funny little person.  Actually I have been using this site in one way or another since about 97.  

I crawl out from ~350 acres of private property about 45 minutes from downtown Houston.
Why do you ask?
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

As a Mustang owner, I resent that!

Plus, for a Colt you want a prancing pony, not a galloping pony as found on the Mustang.  A Ferrari emblem should do the trick.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Confederate,
Same thing happened to me recently.  I inquired to colt.  They stated it left the factory as a "LEO only" weapon whether or not marked made no difference.  So then I inquired to BATF.  Same Same from them.  Basically you will have a firearm with a post ban ser# in a preban config.  I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:37:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a Mustang owner, I resent that!

Plus, for a Colt you want a prancing pony, not a galloping pony as found on the Mustang. A Ferrari emblem should do the trick.
View Quote

Hey! ...I have a Ferrari and I resent that!

Let's vote!....Mustang or Ferrari?  [;)]

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#24]

Hey! ...I have a Ferrari and I resent that!

Let's vote!....Mustang or Ferrari?  [;)]
View Quote

Better yet...let's race!  [;)] [img]http://www.mustangcentral.net/ubb/icons/icon1.gif[/img]  
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You need to relax.

View Quote

Major -

Ar50guy just dislikes me in general. I think he wore his jock strap just a leeeeeeeeeetle too tight when he was in high school.

Or maybe he still is in high school. And wearing his jock strap too tight while he posts on this board.

Anywho, you are right. It WAS a joke, but my fault for posting a joke in a forum where some are too thick headed to appreciate it. Pardon moi, ar50troll.

AR50troll -

Why don't you honor your OWN word and just go away???? You said you were never coming back. you didn't want to "associate" with "our kind" I believe you said.

And I stand corrected AmeRican15- the Ferrari emblem would be more correct. But hey - I'm a low budget kinda dude. [:D]

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:37:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Moderator issued forth with...
Pardon moi, ar50troll.

AR50troll -

[/quote]

Man, I am changing my screen name to AR50Troll ASAP.  Thanks for the idea.  I sure hope it's available.  That would be great!

I don't want to associate with "YOUR" kind.  Religious bigots that is.
I sure do enjoy other freedom loving open minded gun owners on this site.  Aren't moderators supposed to be a little better at interpreting what the user base says?

I sold my LEGP at a loss to not support your religious ramblings.  To me that is enough statement.  I don't need to leave the forum yet.  

Gee so your a religious bigot that does not want anyone who does not think like him to be on his forum?  How American.  More ammo for the Anti's.

Whose side are you on anyways?

AR50troll [dracula]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Look Garandman!!! I am now AR50Troll
Kick ass.

Thanks for the tip.  I thought AR50Guy was pretty smooth, but you trumped me with the AR50Troll.

BTW  As a moderator, I sure hope you know the difference between a Troll and someone taking you to the mat for what you say.  There is a huge difference between a Troll who flames to just get a response from folks versus a user trying to point out your shortcomings as a forum moderator?

AR50Troll

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:49:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

- I'm a low budget kinda dude. [:D]

View Quote

Guess that explains why you’re  “positively baffled” as to why someone would
want the highest quality name brand rifle.
Apposed to a third rate no-name
brand.

If you can’t appreciated, nor recognize high quality, you might want to keep that
to yourself before you look the fool.

RK

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:12:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I guess your selling at a loss of your LEGP really showed him!!!
LOL!
View Quote

Yes it did actually.  If you don't understand why, your loss.  In an economic based society, this is the absolute best way to get the point across (legally) to someone.

Your sarcastic reply actually reinforces this ideas as you seem to think it is somehow stupid to get rid of my LEGP.  Exactly my point.  I took a loss to not get into that conversation at the range...
Hey nice AR15.com rifle.  Are you a religious bigot too?"  Sure it may seem out of bounds.  Well it isn't.  I have actually had people I never met in my life talk about Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com.

He knows he over does it.  hell he even started a thread recently asking if it was time for him to go as Moderator.
So yes.  In the best of ways I showed him.  I sure hope you can come to understand that.

AR50Troll!~!

I just love the new handle.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Confederate,

To answer you question, NO.

Since it’s out of the serial number range, it’s most likely postban.

Manufactures were not required to mark “LEO/GOVT” until about 6 months after
the ban.

You could contact Colt for the date of mfg on the rifle in question.
But I wouldn’t purchase the rifle until you are sure.

RK
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 11:53:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Look Garandman!!! I am now AR50Troll

View Quote

Actually, you are STILL just a guy who SWORE he was never coming back to AR15.com, and then broke his own word and did.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:01:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I sold my LEGP at a loss to not support your religious ramblings.  
View Quote

Dang  - you fighgered me out. I'm like a flippin' televangelist pimping LEGP's and making a million $$ a year doing it. Yer too sharp for me, man.

To me that is enough statement.  I don't need to leave the forum yet.
View Quote

Actually, the "statement" you made was "I'm NEVER coming back to Ar15.com." Then broke you own word.

Gee so your a religious bigot that does not want anyone who does not think like him to be on his forum?  How American.  More ammo for the Anti's.

Whose side are you on anyways?

AR50troll [dracula]
View Quote

People with more than 60 posts know who I am, and what I stand for, and the equity with which I moderate.

Your flimsy, desperate aleegations to the contrary NOT withstanding.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:01:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have actually had people I never met in my life talk about Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com.

AR50Troll!~!

View Quote

Really?
Me too. I was in the supermarket the other day and this old woman came up to me and started talking about Garandman's religious ramblings on AR15.com.  Then later that day, a group of school children were walking by and I overheard them talking about Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com.
Wait! My dog is saying something....
Arf! Arf....Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com...arf!

[whacko]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:05:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Now, back to the topic at hand -

Righteous Kill -

I just don't find Colt's quality to be ANY more outstanding than Rock River Arms, or Armalite.

I DO find thei prices to be higher.

And I DO find Colt to be a political sellout.

Other manf's (such as the ones I named) are more deserving of our business. You know - ones that FULLY support our RKBA.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:28:25 PM EDT
[#36]

[/quote]

Really?
Me too. I was in the supermarket the other day and this old woman came up to me and started talking about Garandman's religious ramblings on AR15.com.  Then later that day, a group of school children were walking by and I overheard them talking about Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com.
Wait! My dog is saying something....
Arf! Arf....Garandmans religious ramblings on AR15.com...arf!

[whacko][/quote]

I guess your trying to be a smart ass?  not sure.

Here are some details for you SIMPLE FOLK, like Major M.[-!-!-]
Range - Hot Wells North Houston

Stranger - Many know him as a retired DJ from our local rock station. (Any Houstonian will know who I am talking about)

Comment - As stated before.  The person made a comment about there being a website for the ar15, but he quit using the Forums because of the high volume of Bible thumping going on by a particular moderator.  I chuckled and said surely your not talking about Garandman.  He was. We both had a good laugh over it and went back to shooting.  Only later did I find out he was a radio DJ.  Apparently not a Jesus Freak either.

Whatever MM...
AR50Troll

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#37]
The topic at hand is this guys question on purchasing a Govt Carbine.

You changed the topic into a Colt bash.

Politics and quality are not related, you need to separate the two.  
I have not purchased a new Colt product since they “sold out” in 89.
However, I still can, and do appreciate Colt quality.

Honestly, I think the Big Three AR-15 rifles produced today are about the same
quality.  Not because Bushmaster and Armalite have caught up, but rather Colt
has fallen a couple of notches.  But when it comes to AR-15s built before 1994,
Colt is lengths ahead of the others.

If it’s not a Colt it’s just a Copy.

Rk  

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

People with more than 60 posts know who I am, and what I stand for, and the equity with which I moderate.

Your flimsy, desperate aleegations to the contrary NOT withstanding.
View Quote

Nothing desperate here.  
Yes I did consider leaving, but GB made a reference to staying in the forum and attempting to contribute to a better site.  So I continue to attempt to better your moderator skills and inform you of your shortcomings as they happen.  Nothing flimsy or desperate at all.  

Some poeple just can't be reached I guess.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
So I continue to attempt to better your moderator skills and inform you of your shortcomings as they happen.  
View Quote

Don't do me any favors, TrollBoy.

Don't call me - I'll call you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I continue to attempt to better your moderator skills and inform you of your shortcomings as they happen.  
View Quote

Don't do me any favors, TrollBoy.

Don't call me - I'll call you.

View Quote

But you obviously need the help?!?
And it's AR50Troll, get it right :-)

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Stranger - Many know him as a retired DJ from our local rock station. (Any Houstonian will know who I am talking about)

Comment - As stated before.  The person made a comment about there being a website for the ar15, but he quit using the Forums because of the high volume of Bible thumping going on by a particular moderator.  I chuckled and said surely your not talking about Garandman.  
View Quote

Hey -

I'm famous!!!!  Or, perhaps "infamous!!!!!!!"

Either way, y'all are spending too much of your life talking about me. I'll live my life - you and DJ boy should get one. [}:D]

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#42]
[/quote]

Hey -

I'm famous!!!!  Or, perhaps "infamous!!!!!!!"

Either way, y'all are spending too much of your life talking about me. I'll live my life - you and DJ boy should get one.
=================================================

[/quote]

Uhhh yeah...The DJ boy you refer to is a millionaire several times over.  He owns a gunshop in Houston...simply because he can.  
Your ignorance is overwhelming at times.
What's with your anger?  I see this a lot in Christians when they are confronted by a non-believer.  Relax man.  

Like I said, we exchanged 2 sentences then returned to killing paper.  That does not qualify as a lot of time talking about you...sorry to deflate your ego there bud.

Believe me.  I do have a life.  I can only figure that this is the very reason you harbor so much anger towards me.
The last thing I want to do is compare who is getting where in life. but I am reasonably sure I trump you, hands down.  If you are interested we can take it offline, but I am not going to dicuss details of my financial status in this forum.  

Infamous...YES
Famous..NO  
You know the more this goes on, the more it seems YOU are the actual troll around here.

Some food for thought...GarandTroll[:D]

Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:18:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Can I purchase a Colt Government Carbine serial # is GC0213xx. I'm not a LEO. According to the serial numbers lists that I have seen only GC018500 and below are preban. This weapon is not marked LEO, but the serial number is higher than GC018500. Can I own it legally?? It has factory flash suppressor, collapsible stock, and bayo lug.
View Quote

The correct thing to do is buy the gun for your local police department. Law enforcement officers need all of the help they can get to fight crime.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:29:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Not worth the potential trouble.  Unless it's way cheap.  it would be better to simply find another Pre Ban.  There are many out there and prices are coming down quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Not worth the potential trouble.  Unless it's way cheap.  it would be better to simply find another Pre Ban.  There are many out there and prices are coming down quite a bit.
View Quote

When God was handing out brains, AR50troll thought he said "trains" and asked for a nice, slow one.

Bu then, Imbroglio's tongue in cheek remark would likely be missed by a troll.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#46]

When God was handing out brains, AR50troll thought he said "trains" and asked for a nice, slow one.

Bu then, Imbroglio's tongue in cheek remark would likely be missed by a troll.
View Quote

Now that is some QUALITY moderator skills in action.  You have to turn it into a pissing match.  Wow Goatboy, you sure can pick 'em.

I never met God dipshit.  There is no God.  Never was, never will be.  Just like Santa and the Easter Bunny.[}:(]

AR50Troll
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:42:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I never met God dipshit.  .[}:(]

AR50Troll
View Quote

I bow to your superior intellect, and eloquence.

garandman
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:46:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 1:48:44 PM EDT
[#49]
Now if you boys can't play nicely little ar50troll will have to go home and Grandman will have to take a time-out...
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is LEO, if you have the box, colt pu a little sticker on the side and should say "LEO w/o mags" Beleive me, I have experience with Ser. #GC022028. It was only 900 dollars down the tube, but I saw it 1 year after the CB and thought it was am preB.
GG
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top