Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2001 1:37:07 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone has a complete list of the countries in which SLAVE trading was still legal. and if there are any statistics on how many of the milk carton kids went into slave trading. How big is this problem? Im not talking about ethnic background either I'm talking all of earth.How about a price list for a slave. just how much info is out there?
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
This is gonna go nowhere fast. BTW I think canada still has something to do with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 1:43:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I know where you're going with this post, and well, not only should you be ashamed of yourself, but you should also pat yourself on the back because its a damn fine idea!  Lets go over to Africa and get into this business... we'll get rich... filthy rich... and then we can go into early retirement and buy expensive guns and shoot them all day long!!! wow...
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#3]
#1) Most parts of Africa with Arabic influence.  Among these the Sudan rates highest in contemporary slave trading.  Somalia and Ethiopia are next.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#4]
why do african americans want repirations when it was africans who sold the slaves to the colonies, and africans still trade in slaves, legally in many of those countries?

Quoted:
#1) Most parts of Africa with Arabic influence.  Among these the Sudan rates highest in contemporary slave trading.  Somalia and Ethiopia are next.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 2:14:05 PM EDT
[#5]
There's a country on the western edge of the Sahara called Mauritania where slavery is widely practiced, although technically illegal.
Link Posted: 8/21/2001 3:08:12 PM EDT
[#6]
The "slave trade" as defined in contemporary society began in West Africa in 1441 by the Portugese captain Antam Goncalvez.  The explosion in the trade took place when the Portugese, English and Spanish discovered a ready market for slaves in the African country of Ghana.  In Ghana, there was an excess of locally-mined gold metal and a lack of manual labor to tend the farms of affluent Ghana families.  European sailors traded captives to the black Ghanans for gold and "legitimate trade".

It's no coincidence that on the west coast of Africa the "Gold Coast" and the "Slave Coast" are very closely approximated.

For the definitive contemporary work on this subject, refer to John Reader's text "Africa, A Biography of the Continent" originally published in 1997 in Great Britain by Hamish Hamilton and in the USA by Knopf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top